Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  2
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: R comp vs slicks.

Fair enough the thread drifted into a combo of what tires / what brakes. When you phone CarboTech for pad suggestion, your entire combo + driving style are included in the questions before you'll receive a suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    track/race pads are very abrasive when cold and have a tendency to eat the rotor surfaces; something like 6:1 vs when at operating temperatures.
    Pad squeal is brutal, and if you've ever had an "OH SHIT!!!" moment on cold pads....well....that can be costly and really dangerous.

Dedicated rotors and pads for the track will make you faster and save you coin over the long term. 5 track days on my Stoptech rotors and Hawk DTC60s and no appreciable wear on either the pads or the rotors. Used to get less than a day out of rotors and EBC reds; and went slower....
    What my previous Hawk pads did to rotors was close to inhumane, Carbo Tech's not only work dramatically better (for me and a few others here running them), are equally easier on rotors. Hats off to Rob / Ratattack for steering me in their direction. As I'd previously said, even though my pads have no business on the street because of dirt n noise, they are totally doable otherwise. Can only say for sure as when installing new pads, I've driven them on the street for a few days to fully bed.

tulowd
    Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    I'll stick with Lacquer thinners and brakes cleans. There are however co's that have developed soaps specifically intended for washing engine parts n brake rotors. Many of the products one might use to remove contaminants may very well be leaving more behind that matters vs what was there in the first place. While brake cleans does a decent job, you'll find even more on your rag or towel finishing up with thinners.

Please remember that you can’t use just any "under the kitchen counter or bathroom soap" for this purpose. Nearly every hand or dishwashing soap contains lanolin or perfume or worse and these items will leave residues that affect the break in (burnishing) of a new set of pads.
    The reasoning for the hot water and soap is loosening the embedded oils, especially inside the rotor vanes, since you cant really get in there to scrub. The brake cleaner/thinners will remove whatever remains of the oils and soap elements on the friction surfaces as a final step.