Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  37
Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Storing your car

Storing your car

- full can of SeaFoam (or your storage / stabilizer of choice) in the tank and fill before your last drive. Must go at least far enough to ensure it's gone through injectors as well. I see no need to store full of fuel, actually prefer 1/2 max so it doesn't take as long in the spring to run through and refill with fresh

- fresh oil change and filter, grease any fittings it may have

- fill tires 40-45 psi

- remove anything from the interior or trunk that may attract animals / mice etc

- at the very least, disconnect the battery. If possible, remove and store downstairs (on a battery tender is the best for it / not expensive to buy and will last for years).

- good idea to wash before it's last drive as well to remove bugs n any debris, only gets harder to remove in the spring

- when covering (outside or it) use a breathable cover only. Plastic sheet or non breathable cover will only promote mould in your interior

- don't start the engine while it sits over the winter unless your in a position to take for a decent drive.

- unless stored in a heated location, sheet of plastic down under the entire car will help keep moisture off it.

Some good advise right there.

On Saturday Joanna and I hit up Crappy Tire and pick up an 11x20 Montreal car port for Helga.. Just gotta wait for the fence guys to come and take care of the fence before putting it up!! (I hate waiting) lol I like the idea about something under the car though. I have a tarp I think I'll put into play when she goes under!!!

I think that plus a regular car cover should suffice for the old girl.. But I'll still be taking her out once in a while just to have some fun!!

^^ Make sure your local bylaws allow temp structures ! ( carport ) FYI not allowed in Ajax for example !
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

There's a ton of houses in my area that has them... Shouldn't be a problem.... But I'm sure the good woman has already looked into that.. Some people in Hamilton use carports as houses!! lol

cool will keep it simple thanks

All great points!! In addition I place 1.5" thick styrofoam pieces under the tires, to reduce the chances of developing flat spots from sitting.

Good advise as usual Rick!

I have been putting blocks of rigid styrofoam under the tires, guess this can't hurt as well.

Never had sheet plastic under the car, this is a great idea. When I moved into my house in 1997 The dryer vent excited into the garage (wonder where all the "Code Inspectors" where when this was done)! Rerouted it this summer to bypass the garage and exit directly outside. I am expecting a huge difference in the humidity this winter in the garage.

Built not bought! Follow this link to my 08 GT/CS Air Lift Performance Suspension Install Thread or this link to my Garage Thread

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my car and parts for what I told her they cost!

I just park mine in the bedroom
    image.jpeg

^^ Now that's love right there!!!

I always thought it was best to fill your gas tank to the top to prevent moisture from rusting the inside of the tank