Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  37
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Storing your car

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    ^ Battery tender above is exactly what you'd want to use.
    Yes I've also seen most batteries sit over the winter, even in the cold, and survive just fine.
    No doubt out of the car and on a tender is best for them though.
    Rick see above my comment regarding seafoam, Im going to try and put the car away this week as I leave sunday for 2.5 weeks again

Quote Originally Posted by NickD View Post
    Rick, I always filled my tank full as well, the bottle of seafoam has a ratio for fuel storage on it, can you clarify if you follow that or are putting a full bottle in half a tank? I like the idea of not having to burn through a full talk of old gas in the spring if it doesn't benefit me to fill it all the way
    My original reply was geared towards those storing with a full tank. Yes 1/2 can to 1/2 tank would leave you good to go (however on SeaFoams site, confirm extra can harm nothing). Less fuel = less time to burn through it which also means less chance (especially for the boosted rides or perhaps even later N/A Mustangs running higher compression) of rolling on it (with old gas) and potentially causing engine damage.

Also money well spent to include your summer gas powered yard tools, generator etc in your storage ritual. Yup, several are going to chime in they've never had a problem leaving the lawn mower and doing nothing. A greater percentage see themselves on the backside of a carb rebuild / repair that often exceeds the value of their 3 or 4 yr old machine.
    Tiny bit it costs to change the oil and add SeaFoam to your mowers tank pales in comparison to repairing or replacing. Same goes for that generator you bought in case of an emergency. No use if you pull the cord and it sputters, coughs n quits leaving you in the dark. Since mine did not see the amount of use it normally does this summer, Ross drained all the old fuel (dumped in the truck) and refilled with fresh plus a shot of SeaFoam.

Got a pm asking about axle stands, to me, better it's left sitting on it's own wheels with tires pumped as suggested. Please don't park your car on the grass for the winter, moisture will eat it alive. Same for a location where water would be prone to standing under it.

Roushcharged
    Not a bad idea to park with tires on foam or carpet to help prevent flat spotting, it's also why I suggested pumping the tires into the 40+ range.
    Didn't do that last year, first trip in the spring and the tps triggered in all 4 corners. I've made a note to bump them all up this year before I squeeze it in to the corner of the garage. Regarding flat spots, I read that is not a concern with radial tires, I use rubber mats for all 4 tires to prevent them from sticking to the concrete.

^ Battery tender above is exactly what you'd want to use.
    Yes I've also seen most batteries sit over the winter, even in the cold, and survive just fine.
    No doubt out of the car and on a tender is best for them though.
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ba...1940p.html#srp

This is the little guy I bought, seems to work fine. Is it necessary to disconnect the battery and remove it or can I leave it hooked up in the car? Pros/Cons to either method? I know you recommend complete removal for storage, where is a safe place to keep the battery out of the car and on the tender?

The car will be tucked away in the corner but my salty dirty van will be in there right beside it over the winter..... Anything extra I should be doing to keep her minty fresh over the winter?? Or should I be looking at storing it somewhere completely different?

I've always connected my battery tender to the battery in the car Hem. No issues for me with it being stored that way over 10 or so winters. Another bonus of leaving the battery in the car with a tender is that the car should be ready to go for any emissions testing that might be needed after storage. If the battery is disconnected, you'd have to put the car through the necessary drive cycles to get enough sensors ready in the spring.
    Not aware of any downsides to leaving the battery in the car with a good quality tender attached.
    ~Scott B

Roushcharged
    Thanks Scott, I left mine in last year as well, no issues. I find guys that store offsite have no choice as most of the places I know will not provide an outlet and some go as far as to make you remove the battery all together.

Quote Originally Posted by allicedout View Post
    Thanks Scott, I left mine in last year as well, no issues. I find guys that store off sight have no choice as most of the places I know will not provide an outlet and some go as far as to make you remove the battery all together.
    Yes, very good point and exactly what I've heard as well. Too much liability to allow tenders/batteries to be left in the vehicles at offsite storage locations.
    ~Scott B

Most prominent reason for disconnecting, to ward off the chances of a fire should a rodent chew yer wiring.

^^^^^This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Help me Jesus! Help me Jewish God! Help me Allah! Help me Tom Cruise! Tom Cruise use your witchcraft on me to get the fire off me! Help me Oprah Winfrey!” — Ricky Bobby