Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  37
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Storing your car

I lay a plastic garbage bag on the back seat, place a 10 bag of charcoal on it , carefully cut down the middle and leave it open, never had a smell in my car, charcoal work wonders at absorbing smells of any kind !!
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

I see these lists pop up in various locations over the years, like in Haggarty magazine, newspapers etc... and this one piece of advice is almost always nearly missing, and I appreciate you putting this on your list:

"- don't start the engine while it sits over the winter unless your in a position to take for a decent drive."

This is great advice. If oil can't get up to 160F (or more) the by- products of combustion are distributed around the engine anywhere that touches oil. Most times idling for even hours is not enough time to get oil to this "warmed" up temperature, enough to eliminate the moisture and acid that make it into the oil. Anyway thanks ZR for this important and often overlooked piece of advice.

... now, if this topic wasn't controversial enough, if you could please tell me on my motorcycle to "drain the bowl or not" over the winter ... that would be great!
    (I cover my exhaust and squeeze a bit of oil into the cylinders and rotate a few before it sleeps as well).

Been telling peeps since being of time (yes same time I was born), shut it off and leave it the hell alone for the winter. Worse thing you can do is start and let it idle without being able to drive.

Drain or not, SeaFoam on your last fill up and drive far enough to be sure it's through the entire fuel system, shut off and enjoy come spring time.

Good advice ZR

I did everything except the tire pressure, and I started it twice. I just couldn't help it. It sounds soooooooo good!!!

Do you think I'm going to get a flat spot??? It's only been 4 months and I moved it once?

winter start up

Hey ZR You have me worried!

I started my car twice this winter. I thought it would be good for it.

What damage do you think I did?

Quote Originally Posted by shadow View Post
    Hey ZR You have me worried!

I started my car twice this winter. I thought it would be good for it.

What damage do you think I did?
    Likely no discernable damage at all from those instances, especially if you allowed it to get up to operating temp. But doing it year over year, not getting up to temp you're introducing moisture and wear in the equation. Even allowing it up to temp you're still just idling it needlessly and likely prematurely rusting out the exhaust components.

Stop starting and running it until you're ready to drive it in the spring, the change the oil, check your fluids and pressures and enjoy.
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

Love car scott!
    and yes, your biggest fear will come to fruition, and she will find out how much you really paid. The good news is, you won't be around to suffer the conseque! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    Likely no discernable damage at all from those instances, especially if you allowed it to get up to operating temp. But doing it year over year, not getting up to temp you're introducing moisture and wear in the equation. Even allowing it up to temp you're still just idling it needlessly and likely prematurely rusting out the exhaust components.

Stop starting and running it until you're ready to drive it in the spring, the change the oil, check your fluids and pressures and enjoy.
    Good advice from Laffs.