Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Winter beaters ...best of ?

That's why i was pretty impressed by the gas mileage.
    ~Scott B

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    ^^daily not a beater
    You can beat on a daily.. (that didn't sound right) but you know what I meant..lol

Checked out a 94 camry v6 with 106 clicks mint mint. Need to see how much work it needs for safety and then im taking it if rick gives the green light

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Best beater I had was a 98 Accord. It had issues, mostly due to what I think was a clogged EGR system, but it never failed to start, even the time I left a dome light on all night. The few parts I had to get were cheap. So many Civics, Accords, CR-Vs, Corollas and Camrys are out there that the parts prices really aren't hugely different from domestics in my experience. With any 2.5 litre subarus ask if the head gaskets were replaced. Common failure point on those engines, 04 and older tended to fail externally and leak, 05 and newer tend to fail internally. The 2011+ are a totally new engine design, but won't be near that price range.

Worst beater was my Buick Century from a standpoint of constantly having to fix stuff. Random stuff not working on an older car I can take, windows broken in the down position or shot wheel bearings or broken sway bars are another thing.

This year I got an Impreza, so I'll be having fun with AWD. I also care about this one, so won't be beating on it to the same extent as the other beaters I've owned. There is something liberating about just not caring about a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Screw View Post
    ^thats like my Rav 4 lol ponyride must have a heavy hoof
    I do have a heavy foot, but I bought it in Toronto and clocked what it got on the trip home to Windsor. That's where it got the best mileage as it was all highway, it was around 420km on that tank doing 120 the whole way home. The other tanks were under 400 but I do have a heavy foot, so take away what you will from that but IMO they are pigs. It was running at 2300rpm I believe at 120k.
    Also my cop car had no options, not even remote entry, had power windows and locks but am/fm radio and nothing else. It did have a red dome light option which was kinda cool.

+1 on the crv.. wicked in the snow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    '88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    I do have a heavy foot, but I bought it in Toronto and clocked what it got on the trip home to Windsor. That's where it got the best mileage as it was all highway, it was around 420km on that tank doing 120 the whole way home. The other tanks were under 400 but I do have a heavy foot, so take away what you will from that but IMO they are pigs. It was running at 2300rpm I believe at 120k.
    Also my cop car had no options, not even remote entry, had power windows and locks but am/fm radio and nothing else. It did have a red dome light option which was kinda cool.
    For a 72 liter gas tank that is poor mileage. I get 400 to 450 highway on my 32 valve mach 1 automatic and the gas tank is 59 liters

^Yup, got better mileage in my stock 01 Bullitt, actually, I think I got better mileage in my supercharged '01 Bullitt, lol. I knew the Crown Vic's days were numbered after the drive home, lol.

If you can find a clean well cared for Mazda, they will give service like a Civic without the same cost.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    If you can find a clean well cared for Mazda, they will give service like a Civic without the same cost.
    Chances are the fenders and rear wheel wells are rusted to shit lol. And for some reason the used value is so over priced.