Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  4
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tire Age Story' dd this kill Paul Walker?

Roushcharged
    Quote Originally Posted by JonsMustang View Post
    Usually 1 year within manufacturing date, each tire has a manufacturing stamp on them.
    Good to know..... Now I'm that guy who doesn't drive much and could easily get many years from a set of tires.... How long can I keep them on until I need to get a fresh set? Assuming they haven't wore out before then.

tulowd
    At app 5 yrs from the date of production they should be replaced, which some will argue is too frequently. This is why I don't mind running soft compound tires, since they usually wear out in 2 or 3 seasons, depending how much driving I do.

Tire Mfrs seem to say 10 yrs MAX, (some say 6) but that covers all the basic econo etc tires. Anything hi po that you are looking for grip and performance driving from, common sense says less.

Quote Originally Posted by allicedout View Post
    Good to know..... Now I'm that guy who doesn't drive much and could easily get many years from a set of tires.... How long can I keep them on until I need to get a fresh set? Assuming they haven't wore out before then.
    5-6 years max.

After 5 you're driving on hockey pucks.

Well my hockey pucks are plenty good after 8 years. Date stamp 4908. They are definitely not hard. Proper storage and usage will keep them alive and well for a long time.Paul Walker was killed by a driver going way too fast on a public street.

^^^too obvious.

The widow is looking for something she can sue somebody for.
    -Don____________

I have had my nitto 555's on the car since '09, still lots of tread left.
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

Club Sponsor Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT's Avatar
    Here's a bulletin from the Rubber Association of Canada on the topic, from 2009 though:

Tires are composed of various materials, including rubber, having performance properties essential to the proper functioning of the tire. These component properties evolve over a combination of time, service and storage conditions. For each individual tire, this change is affected by many elements such as temperature, storage conditions, and conditions of use (e.g., load, speed, inflation pressure, impacts and road hazard injury) to which a tire is subjected throughout its life. Since service and storage conditions vary widely, accurately predicting the serviceable life of any specific tire based on simple calendar age is not possible.

The RAC is not aware of scientific or technical data that establishes or identifies a specific minimum or maximum service life for passenger and light truck tires. However, in some cases a tire or vehicle manufacturer may make a specific tire replacement recommendation regarding its products. If so, the consumer should consult the manufacturer with any questions with regard to following the recommendation. Further, any such recommendation should not be considered a minimum serviceable life for the tire.
    Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT - Waterloo
    www.parkwayford.ca
    toll free lines:
    sales dept 866-980-6752
    service dept 888-785-4008
    parts direct 844-339-0452
    we're on Instagram: parkwayford

Mustang Occasionally
    I change my tires every two years or so

You've clearly confused tires with entire vehicle.