Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  48
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Proper torque

I like to torque my wheel nuts to about 105lbs to seat the wheels then back each one off and retorque to 90ft/lbs as per Manu/spec
    "Without Warning, Without Conscience"

stangstevers
    So.... you guys don't torque your lug nuts often?

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    I remember that, could happen to anyone.
    Well, it happened: a few weeks ago, took the stang out to wing night for her maiden voyage of the year. On the way home, heard something wasn’t quite right in the front end. Sounded like a loose wheel. I thought maybe after many track days the front hubs had finally pooched. Put the car away on the lift and didn’t get around to checking it until today. Sure enough, it was the front left wheel coming off. Simple fix, but could have been WAY WORSE! Fortunately, doesn’t look like it was loose enough to damage the wheel or the studs.

Check your lug nuts!
    -Don____________

[COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75)]2019-2021 Ford Wheel Lug Nut Torque Specs

2019-2021 Ford Wheel Lug Nut Torque Specs. Always refer to your Ford Owner's Manual for exact lug nut torque range.
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75)][/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.75)]
    Back
    [/COLOR]
    ~REMEMBER, " life in prison" doesn't mean SHIT to a senior citizen ~ http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/for...4&type=profile

I really hate it when my nuts get loose….then I sit on them or hit them with my knees while I’m walking…...it sucks getting old…
    Just waiting for this crap to be over so we can travel again

^ LOL

Seen four wheel offs in the last two weeks on highway 10 - the one this morning (Civic) also damaged his left front fender. All the recent wheel offs I've seen where left front on front wheel drive. The left side is most likely to come off because the wheel spins counter clockwise in forward as does the wheel nut. To make 100 pounds by hand is easy to trust a torque wrench Meh! Take the car for a very short spin around the block and recheck them. Especially left front on front wheel drive and the left rear on rear wheel drive. In the old days Mopars had left hand thread on the left side, maybe that needs to happen again.
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works