Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  8
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ont Liberals should be proud.

Ont Liberals should be proud.

Greenhouse growers in Kingsville are choosing to expand operations outside of Canada because of rising hydro rates.
    After operating in the region for 45 years, owners at Mucci Farms are building a new greenhouse in Ohio, saying the cost of being in Ontario is just too high.

Bert Mucci would prefer to expand his business in the region, but hydro rates continue to rise. Instead, the business will stay in the region, while building their new U.S. operation.
    "If we had competitive electricity rates, we would be doubling our production here," he said.
    As the winter months approach, greenhouse growers are firing up their lights, and that means hydro costs are about to become even more grim.
    "We are paying one of the highest rates in North America," Mucci said. "It's causing us to move out of Ontario right now."
    Mucci Farms has paid up to 18 cents per kilowatt, but the company can get hydro for 6 cents a kilowatt in Ohio.
    "The only thing in Ohio that's making it the most effective is the electricity costs," he said. "We have the best of the best here."

Way to go liberals, business now leaving....and Ohio probably buy their electricity from us. We were once Canada's power house, now Canada's biggest joke. Thanks again liberals!!!

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

2006-R/T_420
    liberals, and there supporter base will never ever get it.

stangstevers
    I wonder why they didn't go to Quebec with Canada's lowest electricity rates (I believe)? If the USA, why Ohio, plenty of year round growing sun in other states too...

It's amazing that 13% of people think she/it is doing a good job lol

Just putting this out there, not trying to paint a Liberal target on my back, but.......

Ontario vs. Ohio

Ontario: 58% nuclear, 22% hydro, 10% gas, 9% wind.
    https://www.cns-snc.ca/media/ontario...ectricity.html

Ohio: 59% coal, 23% gas, 14% nuclear.
    http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.....vY1zL17k.dpbs

Obviously it's cheaper to generate power from coal, but sooner or later they will have to join the 21st century.
    And excellent point Steve, if the price of electricity was their governing factor for moving, why not consider Quebec? Probably other factors contributing to their choice.
    -Don____________

stangstevers
    I think there's more the story than high hydro rates yeah! I don't know the numbers but the cost of selling a commercial property, buying another, structures, permits, moving, etc... Plus the low CAD value.

Min wage in Ohio is 8 bucks and 11.40 in Ontario... Who knows but unless profit margins are razor thin? I can't judge. Even at a million kilowatts, isn't the difference just 100 grand?

I believe a lot of states are also offering pretty large discounts to taxes and water ect to entice manufacturing

Quote Originally Posted by RedSN View Post
    Just putting this out there, not trying to paint a Liberal target on my back, but.......

Ontario vs. Ohio

Ontario: 58% nuclear, 22% hydro, 10% gas, 9% wind.
    https://www.cns-snc.ca/media/ontario...ectricity.html

Ohio: 59% coal, 23% gas, 14% nuclear.
    http://www.puco.ohio.gov/puco/index.....vY1zL17k.dpbs

Obviously it's cheaper to generate power from coal, but sooner or later they will have to join the 21st century.
    And excellent point Steve, if the price of electricity was their governing factor for moving, why not consider Quebec? Probably other factors contributing to their choice.

http://www.worldcoal.org/reducing-co...-emission-coal

Yes I realize that it's from the world coal association website. Lol
    But an industry that sees the writing on the wal will be forced to make changes.
    Coal is cheap and plentiful so if technology can bring down the emissions. It doesn't have to be a bad thing.

Thing is co can be scrubbed. This technology is available (expensive because its new) but with time and improvements that will change.
    Compare this to nuclear which has a bi product we can't do anything with other than bury it.

The earth itself given time can remove co pollution. But nuclear waist is a different story

Quote Originally Posted by 2006-R/T_420 View Post
    liberals, and there supporter base will never ever get it.
    I've supported them in the past, but not the last 2 jack asses.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Just wait for the Carbon Tax