Nick is thinking about making the Shelby run 11's on Quick Time Hoosier DRAG radials....

Been reading lots about various auto types and tires of choice of late. Porsche and Vette guys overwhelmingly love the NTO1s for their grip (much better than most any street tire except Michelin Sport Cup 2's), consistency and long life. The tires never heat cycle out (the R6s do after as few as 6 cycles!) and are sticky right up until the cords start showing. Additionally, they do not get greasy and overheat from sliding, unlike the Hoosiers. I can attest to this from several tire sets on my vert. The Nittos also have a much broader temperature and pressure range of operation, whereas the Hoosiers are very fussy.

Most peoples opinions from the various boards is for lapping days/driving events the NT01s reign supreme from a lot of perspectives. The Hoosiers at the right temperature and app -3 camber settings will be faster, but the question is for how long? Seems that the first heat cycle is where they are the stickiest, almost like a qualifying tire, which is beyond most people's practical understanding, tech or their ability to setup or drive at that level or consistently enough.
This would certainly include anyone reading this, with the possible exception of Fast Ed, who, in his usual humble way, will chuckle and deny any kind of speed, skill or knowledge thereof.

Having said that, an R comp is going to offer a higher performance and lap time potential - mainly due to higher braking torque and some cornering speed increase vs a sticky street tire. Real slicks are going to be another echelon higher in terms of skill required, perfect setup and ultimate care of pressures and temperatures.

JT's Shelby on R6's handily outbrakes me (on NT01s) into turns 1 and 2, in a much heavier car with similar brakes, both on race pads. I attribute that to the tires and partially to the lighter wheels. His cornering speed was also superior, but his traction out of corners was lower, probably because of the vast amount (50% more) power than my Fox.

I would guess an R6 is worth between 1 and 2 seconds a lap at TMP over a NT01, depending on a bunch of things. I would think under our lapping circumstances a similar R comp DOT "slick" would also show a similar improvement.

Everyone has different metrics and expectations on how they want to drive and what they are prepared to do.

In my opinion, the Nitto's along with full track pads and rotors yield the most lap time improvements; certainly way more than engine power or aerodynamics.
A really supportive drivers seat is also a total necessity. That's probably worth a second a lap starting at 1:30.

Back to the OP - going to 18's is going to cost ya more bread and also weigh quite a bit more at each corner. Getting a bunch of take off qualifying or race slicks from some of the teams might prove to be a money saver, but I've heard you better have a bunch of spares with you in case of duds, carcass shifts, flatspotted, overheated, hardened, etc.