Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Diagnosing ABS light - help

Diagnosing ABS light - help

2006 GT

Symptoms
    Light is off when first started and stays off for 5-10 minutes of driving. Then a little shutter is felt and both ABS and traction control light come on and stay on. Suggests to me the system is working and fails some sort of drive cycle test leading me to look at the sensors.

I have removed and cleaned front sensors. I also tried using an ohm meter on them but both just seem open???

Have yet to look at the rears.

Is the traction control light an indication that it's a rear sensor issue, or does the TC light come on with any ABS issue?

Tc will come on with any abs issue, it's the same system using the same sensors. If you can drive for a while before it comes it's likely not a sensor unless it's an intermittent sensor. These really no point looking at anything without getting a code, it's a total waste of time.....most shops will pull a code for under $50, and that's money well invested so you have an idea of where to start.
    What I would do first though is go out when it's wet and do a quick panic stop before the light comes on to test the system, if the system works it may be an intermittent sensor or cracked tone ring that works itself loose while driving, Fords are well known for having tone ring issues.

Good thought on the tone ring. Same with do your visual inspection, if nothing seen, next step is have it scanned for codes to give you a direction.

Thanks, needs air bags done and an etest so she's shop bound anyway.