Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

oh the f150 exhaust lol sorry, thought you meant the mark 8 exhaust

the f150 exhaust will fit the 2018 3.5 its the same part number. but it wont sound nearly as good. ill let you know what happens as it all hinges on lease busters

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    Tow package and max tow package, confusion for at least a couple of other buys on the board lately as well. When truck will be used for heavy loads / max effort towning, important to know wts etc and confirm it's equipped with the package you'll need before purchase. In the same breath, how close to max are you going to end up at with both hooked up? Also worth keeping in mind, down a gear and taking it easy will add a whole bunch to whats going to work or not. I'm actually surprised the manu's are offering 1/2 tons with such high ratings, in the past, took bouncing up to a 3/4 ton which to me makes more sense.
    Dunno about your truck rick but mine can tow up to 10,500. I did switch to Yokohama geolanders 10 ply. All sway gone and you can pump them up to 80 psi for heavy loads.

I'm really confused about what you "think" the issue is here. I've read this thread and I think there is a lot of misinformation here.

I've done a ton of research this spring around towing my fully enclosed trailer and making sure I am legal.

I did have a Coyote 5.0 SCREW with tow package (not max tow) and it was fine, but I upgraded to the ECO 3.5 and 10 speed just because I wanted the extra head room.

Under 10,000lbs and if your combined trailer and load on the trailer are under 2800kg or around 6000lbs you don't need anything extra.

Between 11,000 lbs and 13,227 you don't need a driver's license upgrade, but you DO need to yellow sticker your truck and the trailer. You also need to increase the GVWR of the pick-up from the "personal use" 3000kg to the increased about usually 4500 or 5500 kg.

Personal use tops out at 13,227 total combined weight truck and trailer. After that, you need to upgrade your driver's license.

If the OP is just pulling a trailer with a camper, all those rules still apply. If you pull anything with an SUV that is rated for the weight or with an RV, a total exemption applies.

If your truck is rated to pull 8900 lbs, then you are good to 4045kg and I would not think anything you are pulling exceeds that weight. It would be nice to have more headroom in the truck you're pulling with, but you're within limits. My Coyote pulled it fine, but work a bit harder. Max tow package wouldn't be getting you anything extra really except a bunch of trans coolers etc, not more power or higher ratings.

I don't think this should have been the panic you thought it is.

The total cost to me to upgrade to yellow sticker my pick-up, annual sticker the trailer and up the GVWR was about $600.

Agreed that the hitch and ball need to be up to weights, the princess auto stuff tops at 6000lbs.

any hitch city or other places have stuff that runs 12,000 to 16,000 (overkill) cause no 1/2 ton pick-up can pull more than that.

Also, forgot to mention that when you yellow sticker over 11,000 you are now commercial, but still exempt from scales and the log book.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkhorse View Post
    I'm really confused about what you "think" the issue is here. I've read this thread and I think there is a lot of misinformation here.

I've done a ton of research this spring around towing my fully enclosed trailer and making sure I am legal.

I did have a Coyote 5.0 SCREW with tow package (not max tow) and it was fine, but I upgraded to the ECO 3.5 and 10 speed just because I wanted the extra head room.

Under 10,000lbs and if your combined trailer and load on the trailer are under 2800kg or around 6000lbs you don't need anything extra.

Between 11,000 lbs and 13,227 you don't need a driver's license upgrade, but you DO need to yellow sticker your truck and the trailer. You also need to increase the GVWR of the pick-up from the "personal use" 3000kg to the increased about usually 4500 or 5500 kg.

Personal use tops out at 13,227 total combined weight truck and trailer. After that, you need to upgrade your driver's license.

If the OP is just pulling a trailer with a camper, all those rules still apply. If you pull anything with an SUV that is rated for the weight or with an RV, a total exemption applies.

If your truck is rated to pull 8900 lbs, then you are good to 4045kg and I would not think anything you are pulling exceeds that weight. It would be nice to have more headroom in the truck you're pulling with, but you're within limits. My Coyote pulled it fine, but work a bit harder. Max tow package wouldn't be getting you anything extra really except a bunch of trans coolers etc, not more power or higher ratings.

I don't think this should have been the panic you thought it is.

The total cost to me to upgrade to yellow sticker my pick-up, annual sticker the trailer and up the GVWR was about $600.

i bought truck mistaking what i asked for and thought i had a 10600lb tow raiting on the truck
    i purchased a new trailer factoring in a tow raiting of 10800lbs so that i could put my boat and trailer loaded with all out gear for a week of fun as we do multipule time a year

my total weight of new trailer, boat, water, fuel, passengers and gear puts me at about 10200 lbs

i realised my mistake and that i only have a tow rating of 8600lbs with this truck

means i cant legaly tow everytning all together. as the truck is leased by my business its considered comercial if i ever get caught ove weight the fines arnt insignifigent

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    i bought truck mistaking what i asked for and thought i had a 10600lb tow raiting on the truck
    i purchased a new trailer factoring in a tow raiting of 10800lbs so that i could put my boat and trailer loaded with all out gear for a week of fun as we do multipule time a year

my total weight of new trailer, boat, water, fuel, passengers and gear puts me at about 10200 lbs

i realised my mistake and that i only have a tow rating of 8600lbs with this truck

means i cant legaly tow everytning all together. as the truck is leased by my business its considered comercial if i ever get caught ove weight the fines arnt insignifigent
    Is the weight of what you are pulling behind 10,200 lbs or the combined weight of truck and trailer 10,200 lbs? Meaning just the boat and trailer are 10,200lbs? This must be a pretty big boat?

The passengers in your truck and load in your truck are not part of the amount you're pulling behind, but does factor into your total combined weight needing to be UNDER 13,227.

That is also why the base personal use on the pick-up of 3000kg would need to be upgraded to 4500 or 5500 once you've weighed everything together including people and load.

F350 + Powerstroke = good to go. Got money?

In all honesty, my dad and i hauled a 26' Chris Craft with TWIN 318s from whitby harbour to WAYYY up in the muskokas with his 89 4Runner....i mean jesus, i think youre gonna be just fine!! Lol no need to overthink the situation....if god didnt want you to haul heavy shit he wouldnt have invented the 4 way hazard lights!

the weight pulling behind

travel trailer is 6600. boat is around 1500, boat trailer is somewhere around 1500, plus water, propane tanks, generator, fuel, and all the camping and fishing supplies.

load in the truck dosnt directly effect the weight behind but its related to how much you can pull. more in the truck adds to your combined weight which effects how much you put behind it.

most trucks cant be loaded to max payload and have the max towable hitched behind them as well.

lots of calculaters on line that you can put in all your weights and they will tell you where your over, or how much payload/ tow capacity you have left

priced a superduty and they get crazy quick in terms of price. more money for less options

the 3.5 with max tow is cheaper and better optioned and will two more than I ever plan on throwing at it

So you're tandem towing? You want to hook the trailer to the truck, then the boat to the trailer?
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate