Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  7
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's it worth? 2008 VW GTI (Blown Engine)

Quote Originally Posted by True Blue View Post
    No oil leaks... The car went on the lift when it was brought into the shop, the mechanic looked it over and said it's spotless. Same shop did the oil change 3 weeks ago. I told my FIL maybe they didn't put enough oil, he said he watched them do the oil change and personally checked the dipstick.

I don't know what to think.
    Had a old Vw years ago and it would eat oil. Never leaked a drop. Never any noticeable smoke. But always down oil. had to top it up every time I filled the tank.

Anyone looking for a project?

No oil leaks... The car went on the lift when it was brought into the shop, the mechanic looked it over and said it's spotless. Same shop did the oil change 3 weeks ago. I told my FIL maybe they didn't put enough oil, he said he watched them do the oil change and personally checked the dipstick.

I don't know what to think.
    yah it's hard but the oil leaks at the external oil pumps just happen randomly at a gasket or the oil seal. They are usually driven by the crank - again I don't know if this car has an external oil pump but if the smell of oil was detected in the cabin it was likely leaking onto the exhaust as opposed to coming out of the tail pipe- may want to check that the correct oil filter was used or if it may of come lose and leaked - this happens too - maybe the mechanic or oil changer was at fault - best of luck that really sucks

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    yah it's hard but the oil leaks at the external oil pumps just happen randomly at a gasket or the oil seal. They are usually driven by the crank - again I don't know if this car has an external oil pump but if the smell of oil was detected in the cabin it was likely leaking onto the exhaust as opposed to coming out of the tail pipe- may want to check that the correct oil filter was used or if it may of come lose and leaked - this happens too - maybe the mechanic or oil changer was at fault - best of luck that really sucks
    Thanks man!

The mechanic he goes to (for many years), owns a well known shop that specializes in VW/Audi's in Toronto. All I'm going by is heresay and would love to see the car myself to make a better judgement of this whole ordeal. Something is not adding up! But it's out of my hands.

Thanks man!

The mechanic he goes to (for many years), owns a well known shop that specializes in VW/Audi's in Toronto. All I'm going by is heresay and would love to see the car myself to make a better judgement of this whole ordeal. Something is not adding up! But it's out of my hands.
    that's too bad...cars are disheartening at times!

I’d say the car is worth maybe $4k if it’s clean, likely less though. Put it up fir $5k and see what happens, probably a $2500-3k car though.
    Is he buying something new? Might be wise to use it as a trade since they will just send it to auction, they may give him a good trade price

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    I’d say the car is worth maybe $4k if it’s clean, likely less though. Put it up fir $5k and see what happens, probably a $2500-3k car though.
    Is he buying something new? Might be wise to use it as a trade since they will just send it to auction, they may give him a good trade price
    He's looking to retire in the next couple of months. So buying new is not worth it, as he wont be putting many kms on what ever he picks up. This VW had perfect timing to drop its shit, putting my FIL in a bad predicament. I told him we'll list it on Kijiji for $4K, it should easily sell for $3K-3.5K.

I haven't talked to him in the last couple of days, I don't know what he whats to do yet. Knowing the way he thinks he'll end up getting the engine replaced and selling the car after.

He's looking to retire in the next couple of months. So buying new is not worth it, as he wont be putting many kms on what ever he picks up. This VW had perfect timing to drop its shit, putting my FIL in a bad predicament. I told him we'll list it on Kijiji for $4K, it should easily sell for $3K-3.5K.

I haven't talked to him in the last couple of days, I don't know what he whats to do yet. Knowing the way he thinks he'll end up getting the engine replaced and selling the car after.
    It’s a crappy situation, and I don’t mean to say the car is worthless, I’m just being realistic. They have a huge following, and they are worth money, but needing an engine is huge, especially since the buyer can’t drive the car so they have no idea what else it needs. The trans is also questionable, so many may be scared of that as well.
    Being that it’s kijiji I’d list it for $5k, cuz it seems the standard offer is half or less, so you’d get better offers, if any. You could also list the car and say “trade for something road-ready”, and you may get an offer for a replacement vehicle, which would be a win/win I would think.

Quote Originally Posted by Ponyryd View Post
    Had this situation in August, wifes 2012 VW EOS convertible timing chain adjustor broke, resulting in the engine blowing. Car was mint, but 187k kms. Used motor was like $3500+, plus installation ($2000), for a car that may have been worth $8000. Dealer gave us $2500.00 off a new Golf, best deal we could get given it was not running. Sucked the amount of depreciation we took on this, having it just under 7 years.