Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  26

Thread: Are we in danger? re: cops

Foxstang

Are we in danger? re: cops

Looks like the cops are focusing on innocent(?) auto enthusiasts. So coffee night attendees are easy-pickin's for the cops looking to hand out criminal charges for muffler violations.

In the past the "unwritten rule" was if you don't drive like a dick, you can get away with a loud'ish muscle car. I'm not entirely sure if this is still the case but so far I think I've only seen ricers and abnoxious 4x4 trucks (with loud exhaust and wheel spacers) pulled over. I get giving criminal charges for the recent G35(?) owner revving with a 2-step in a parking lot sounding like gun shots, but are us "responsible" people lumped into the same boat as ricers?

I know a lot of idiots pull off their catalytic converters (I say idiots because if you drive on the street, there is absolutely NO reason to remove these, it's a stupid move and hurts the hobby). But technically any modification is considered illegal, even 5 lug swaps on a foxbody are illegal, since you are not supposed to mess with suspension and brakes.

Once they really start to crack down on the hobby, most of us are in danger. My notch has all factory smog components working, even new TAB/TAD solenoids which cost me a lot of $$$ to buy new from LMR. BUT I have 2003 Cobra brakes, coilover suspension, tubular K-member... not much of this car is left stock. I don't have any window tint, not even a cover on my plates. But now I'm scared to drive it and when I do, I take off in 2nd gear and shift at 2500rpm to not make noise in town. I'm always worried that just driving by a stupid cop = criminal charges for owning a hotrod and lots of fees to get my car from the impound and all that trouble. Just for getting a case of beer or short Sunday cruise.

I think I may join the "defund the police" protests, it's awefully tempting if mufflers are the biggests problems we have, we don't need police, right?

Anyway, off topic a bit... but it looks like we are not going to be in this hobby for much longer. This crack down, is it for ricers or everyone? As for noise, there's no science to it, it's up to the officer to decide if it's too loud. Which is why my notch with TFS top-end kit will sound like a stock 87 Mustang soon lol

I think you’re over reacting....the hobby has been around many years and will be around many more to come.

I have more concern about flying electric cars vs the Police impounding my car for revving over 4000RPM.

A time and a place for everything and a lot of people forget that.

Quote Originally Posted by Foxstang View Post
    Looks like the cops are focusing on innocent(?) auto enthusiasts. So coffee night attendees are easy-pickin's for the cops looking to hand out criminal charges for muffler violations.

In the past the "unwritten rule" was if you don't drive like a dick, you can get away with a loud'ish muscle car. I'm not entirely sure if this is still the case but so far I think I've only seen ricers and abnoxious 4x4 trucks (with loud exhaust and wheel spacers) pulled over. I get giving criminal charges for the recent G35(?) owner revving with a 2-step in a parking lot sounding like gun shots, but are us "responsible" people lumped into the same boat as ricers?

I know a lot of idiots pull off their catalytic converters (I say idiots because if you drive on the street, there is absolutely NO reason to remove these, it's a stupid move and hurts the hobby). But technically any modification is considered illegal, even 5 lug swaps on a foxbody are illegal, since you are not supposed to mess with suspension and brakes.

Once they really start to crack down on the hobby, most of us are in danger. My notch has all factory smog components working, even new TAB/TAD solenoids which cost me a lot of $$$ to buy new from LMR. BUT I have 2003 Cobra brakes, coilover suspension, tubular K-member... not much of this car is left stock. I don't have any window tint, not even a cover on my plates. But now I'm scared to drive it and when I do, I take off in 2nd gear and shift at 2500rpm to not make noise in town. I'm always worried that just driving by a stupid cop = criminal charges for owning a hotrod and lots of fees to get my car from the impound and all that trouble. Just for getting a case of beer or short Sunday cruise.

I think I may join the "defund the police" protests, it's awefully tempting if mufflers are the biggests problems we have, we don't need police, right?

Anyway, off topic a bit... but it looks like we are not going to be in this hobby for much longer. This crack down, is it for ricers or everyone? As for noise, there's no science to it, it's up to the officer to decide if it's too loud. Which is why my notch with TFS top-end kit will sound like a stock 87 Mustang soon lol
    I have to say your concerns are valid but I feel your going over the edge here a bit. Cops are ticketing the idiots that are sitting there al hours and revving like crazy in residential areas. On my street I have my stang which is loud and my buddy with his C63. We never get bothered Here in Woodbridge. I think you’ll be fine, plus the cops see a. Experienced male driving and not being stupid so they definitely won’t be bothering you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Foxstang
    I'm hoping it's an overreaction, I've never been followed in the notch (the 2017 GT yes, followed many times but not pulled-over). I get that ricers are, well, doing their rice'y shit like actual stunt driving in public roads and all that. I'm hoping this is the extent of the crack down.

I wish they would pickup their coffee cups and big mac bags the lazy fuckers....lol maybe that's the cops! - there's a tuner shop right beside me here in Brampton and all they have a dyno that just turns out gun firing BMW's daily - I don't get it but they sound like shit but i guess it's the only way to make boost loud and noticeable - cant complain my s550 was pretty loud....
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

If your car is 100% legit and you aren't doing anything dumb, what can they even do to you if you get pulled over? I'd just sit there and laugh.

98 GT - Bright Atlantic Blue 'Dech'

Quote Originally Posted by Foxstang View Post
    I'm hoping it's an overreaction, I've never been followed in the notch (the 2017 GT yes, followed many times but not pulled-over). I get that ricers are, well, doing their rice'y shit like actual stunt driving in public roads and all that. I'm hoping this is the extent of the crack down.
    I’ve been followed in my stang recently, they run my plates and dip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I’m not slow, I just like the way your bumper looks

Quote Originally Posted by Zippy View Post
    I'd just sit there and laugh.
    I wouldn’t suggest the “laughing” part. You want your interactions with officers to be as short and polite as possible. Dash cam with audio is also a good idea.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Legwound View Post
    like any other group, cops aren't monolithic.

Some are cool, other not so much. If there's a problem with people speeding in a school zone, you get a speed trap and brutal enforcement for a few weeks.

Until it becomes financially or politically lucrative to crack down it will be a passing thing. The bigger danger is insurance.
    In Oshawa, they've now begun deploying the stationary, permanent photo radar boxes in designated safety/community zones. They will be activated in the fall, but already snapping pictures and gathering data. My guess is, they'll definitely have the intended effect in slowing the traffic. In these areas, where there are lots of kids/young people, I have no problem with it. Will they expand it to other areas.....good question. I hope not.

There's already been 1 or 2 reports of vandalism on these boxes. When the actual tickets start flying....there may be more.