Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  16
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Interesting speaker/content at a company event last week - Prof G (Scott Galloway)

Club Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Gr8Stang View Post
    I've missed a few boats over the past handful of years, and like you have gotten cold feet and/or wasn't convinced it would be a good investment. My three biggest no-decisions; Shopify (a motley fool canada recommendation in the low 30's), Chipotle (in the 50's) and Facebook in the high teens. Thankfully I've had some multi-baggers in Magna, Mastercard and Methanex. I've steered clear of Hi-Tech in general having worked in the industry most of my career and being burnt with Nortel and watching the dot.com bubble.

The one thing I am very happy that I did was to become a self directed investor. Got started in late 2010, early 2011, moving previously invested $$ with defined contribution plans (thru my employer at the time) and a small about of RRSPs invested thru a relative, into a Self Directed RRSP. Did some research on companies and put my money to work. Easily provided a better return then the "funds" that my employer offered...and my relative. Haven't looked back since and have saved who knows how much $$ in fees.
    Yeah, looked at all those and didn't pull the trigger to my regret.... even Lightspeed (in the Shopify world). I did pretty good on Real Matters after buying them for 50 cents on the post IPO dollar and also MOGO about 1/3 of their IPO price (I opened a TFSA for my niece when she started university and gave her 100 shares of MOGO which has now tripled and she actually went and bought FIRE.TO on her own, which I also own except I had to school her on lot sizes and transaction fees after she told me). MTY has done well for me in terms of low tech with +2X gain and a nice dividend yield. My focus last couple years has mostly been on good, stable dividend paying stocks, infrastructure stocks, etc, inside my TFSA but had several cap gains bangers in there too with cannabis stocks and the tech ones above. Picked up HITI.VN last week at 66 cents and this week it's 99 cents but question is can they grow their retail footprint to be a multi-banger like some of the others I've had in the past (made about $15K on Canopy in it's previous format when it started as a penny stock).

My infrastructure stocks have done well also - Brookfield Infrastructure, Algonquin Power, and Boralex. Got HEO.VN at under a buck a while back but it didn't move until recent and went 3X. Also have positions in long term care home stocks both before and after pandemic with EXE, Sienna, and Chartwell - wouldn't normally hold all three but the dividend yields are good on all three at the prices I paid and they got beaten up last year so I increased my position (had EXE.TO before but added the other two when the market crashed last year.....along with a few others (Enbridge, Dollarama, more Brookfield Infrastructure, Boralex, and Algonquin). I did buy Laurentian Bank for the dividend but then they dropped but I'm still holding as a long term dividend play (and they should come back eventually once they figure their shit out - they're overhauling leadership team).

I see SNC is divesting of some divisions - I owned them in the past and made a profit when they had bad news from the scandals and associated volatility and I've been looking at them since they were under $20 for jumping in again - think they have their problems behind them now? I think they cleaned up their act but the question is to what degree will they be blacklisted for infrastructure projects/RFPs....they do have the expertise but so does WSP and others in Canada and internationally.

Club Supporter
    Thought this was a funny episode....

Love this, going to subscribe, more entertaining than Kramer.