Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  54
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: P0172 code

Could be inj partially hanging open, causing rich condition, 02 sensor signally lean lean lean to the puter.

yesterday I cleared the code as mentioned to turn the engine light off - drove between 50-60k to the petrocan on route no unusual noise or ping - topped up with 94 —ouch - engine ran smooth all the way down this am - It always had a little hesitation when the r's came down stopped at a light (kind of like it was in shut off mode at a stop) and the ping recently (convinced now it was ping but sounded more like a rattle or something lose knocking) - no little hiccups today we will see how it goes —94 tho ouch I can see 200$ fills on the horizon
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

If everything ok, should be fine on Reg.
    Suggest clean MAF + SeaFoam and return to reg.

Quote Originally Posted by ZR View Post
    If everything ok, should be fine on Reg.
    Suggest clean MAF + SeaFoam and return to reg.
    I'm going to do that probably Saturday - no time for my stuff...lol - It's had these little weird things lately nothing major - but it has always had that little hesitation stopping at a light (I just thought that may have been normal) today that was gone - also sometime back it threw a misfire code - Today it ran perfect all the way down - I've gone back to using Ultramar out of convenience where I live, but maybe I need to go to pertrocan again...?
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

Forget the 94 octane. Combo of lean code, hesitation and misfire, I’d be heading to the dealer and making the most out of what’s left of your warranty. Could be just something as simple as a software update
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BAD92LX View Post
    Forget the 94 octane. Combo of lean code, hesitation and misfire, I’d be heading to the dealer and making the most out of what’s left of your warranty. Could be just something as simple as a software update
    with todays technology you would think this would happen automatically - I haven't had any updates come my way from Ford but a buddy gets them all the time with his 6 banger - I don't think I will get a 6 banger....lol but to be fair I didn't download any apps not much of a techy can't wait to retire and throw all this electronic shit away....lol
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd

For sure, seeing as it's a dirty combo, hell yes on try n get it sorted before it's on your dime.

I don’t think Ford would go out of their way to tell you that you need a software update unless it was safety related.
    Generally, check engine light or drivability issues possibly have a service bulletin which Ford has found can sometimes be fixed by updating pcm software.
    Every computer controlled system on your car can be updated. Engine, trans, hvac, awd, the list goes on.
    Stock engine Fox equipped with the Maximum Motorsports catalog. Now I have lots of Trick Flow stickers.

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I'm going to do that probably Saturday - no time for my stuff...lol - It's had these little weird things lately nothing major - but it has always had that little hesitation stopping at a light (I just thought that may have been normal) today that was gone - also sometime back it threw a misfire code - Today it ran perfect all the way down - I've gone back to using Ultramar out of convenience where I live, but maybe I need to go to pertrocan again...?
    I think I read years ago on GTAMC where some guy said his buddy had something to do with refinery's and said Shell had the best refining process and therefore the best quality gasoline.
    Don't know if that's still true.

Quote Originally Posted by 1BAD92LX View Post
    I don’t think Ford would go out of their way to tell you that you need a software update unless it was safety related.
    Generally, check engine light or drivability issues possibly have a service bulletin which Ford has found can sometimes be fixed by updating pcm software.
    Every computer controlled system on your car can be updated. Engine, trans, hvac, awd, the list goes on.
    if the app is on the phone and the vehicle trips a code Ford will message the owner —but I would think updates should be automatic the same as a home computer since the manufactures are fighting to relabel the automobile as a computer...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd