Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welders?

This is the Miller I have but I added foot pedal for control. its a suitcase unit. It works on 110 or 220. and does stick or tig. I can weld 1/2' plate steel no issues on 110. I'm going to switch to a unit that can do aluminum. I would also like a high frequency start and pulse modulation. Check out the everlast welders. There made in USA and they even have a unit that can stick, tig, mig, ac, dc, high freq, etc. (everything in one unit)

^^^cool looking setup
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Speedtospare View Post
    This is the Miller I have but I added foot pedal for control. its a suitcase unit. It works on 110 or 220. and does stick or tig. I can weld 1/2' plate steel no issues on 110. I'm going to switch to a unit that can do aluminum. I would also like a high frequency start and pulse modulation. Check out the everlast welders. There made in USA and they even have a unit that can stick, tig, mig, ac, dc, high freq, etc. (everything in one unit)

Thats a nice setup....pricey tho. Also no reason you cant weld aluminum with that. The beauty of tig is that you can weld anything really with it. Ive seen titanium welded with tig in a special box that gets filled with inert gas so theres no chance of contamination. Tig is the best type of welding you could learn imo...so much control and so neat when you get it right although a good welder with a mig can lay down some impressive welds. The guy that taught me to mig is like that...youd almost swear his welds are done by robot!

Also iirc most Millers can be set up with a spool gun. We have one at work that has a spool gun set up for aluminum rather than switching wire spools. The options out there are almost infinite...its a good time to be a welder.

Everlast has made great head way, had experience several, They are Not made in the USA, Russian I think, anyhow

We have used ESAB Lincoln, Miller, Thermal Arc and Everlast units all are good units
    The newer Inverter based units are awesome. In todays market don’t even look at a transformer machine anymore. Especially for a home hobbiest powering off 220 single phase
    95% it is the user / setup that makes bad welds not the machines
    What kind of “ gas “are you using, what is your settings?
    what makes you think you need more of a machine? 220amp is near the limit for single phase power.
    is yours an inverter or transformer machine? Sheet metal needs very little power, and it warps and burns threw real easy if you weld too much at once

No offense meant here, just if you can make what you already got work like it should and well. Then You can get on spending on the car rather then tools you already have.