Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  33,464

Thread: Post whatever is on your mind!!

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    Word of mouth is an amazing thing. And also can’t comprehend people who are out there just trying to take advantage.

Had someone reach out. From over an hour away. Heard of us from a friend of a friend.
    His buddy had a fridge go down with a weird series of events and was quoted over a thousand dollars or fix it.

As soon as he told me what it was doing I knew exactly what it was. Broken wire on a drawer harness. Known problem for that model.

Talked him threw it. A single crimp connector later he was back up and running

Quoted a grand…. Either there are too many dickheads in the world or I’m just a sucker.
    You're overlooking "assumed knowledge".

What is obvious, easy and second nature to you, you assume to be resident with others. I'm not an engineer, but got hired to work under one who had a masters. I was very familiar with the system and doing redesign work which the engineer needed to stamp. If you could break system knowledge into about 5 grades, I was making changes at grade 5. I was explaining these changes to the engineer as I was doing them, and his level of knowledge was greater than those he reported to. After about a year, with many, many discussions my engineer friend came in with a question. I was pleased as he was finally asking questions. His Q was at a grade 1 level, with an answer that was obvious to me on a a righty tighty level of assumed knowledge. What was obvious to me, was not obvious to him. I assumed because it was obvious, he would know it too.

A long winded story to say, don't underestimate yourself, or overestimate your competition. The real kicker is to an outsider, you and the competition are viewed as equal.

Word of mouth is an amazing thing. And also can’t comprehend people who are out there just trying to take advantage.

Had someone reach out. From over an hour away. Heard of us from a friend of a friend.
    His buddy had a fridge go down with a weird series of events and was quoted over a thousand dollars or fix it.

As soon as he told me what it was doing I knew exactly what it was. Broken wire on a drawer harness. Known problem for that model.

Quoted a grand…. Either there are too many dickheads in the world or I’m just a sucker.
    The world is falling short of honest, stand up professionals.
    Keep up the great work!

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANGWOP View Post
    The world is falling short of honest, stand up professionals.
    Keep up the great work!
    Competency and showing up will become valuable currency in coming days. Our replacements have yet to learn adulting. Don't sell your tools.

good things add up and pay off eventually —I did a similar thing on twitter with a young man from Texas having a problem with his Carter AFB walked him through it and made a friend for life —he sold his camaro for more money and was able to move to Hawaii and move on with his life
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    —he sold his camaro for more money and was able to move to Hawaii
    I didn’t realize Camaro’s were worth that much!
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    You're overlooking "assumed knowledge".

What is obvious, easy and second nature to you, you assume to be resident with others. I'm not an engineer, but got hired to work under one who had a masters. I was very familiar with the system and doing redesign work which the engineer needed to stamp. If you could break system knowledge into about 5 grades, I was making changes at grade 5. I was explaining these changes to the engineer as I was doing them, and his level of knowledge was greater than those he reported to. After about a year, with many, many discussions my engineer friend came in with a question. I was pleased as he was finally asking questions. His Q was at a grade 1 level, with an answer that was obvious to me on a a righty tighty level of assumed knowledge. What was obvious to me, was not obvious to him. I assumed because it was obvious, he would know it too.

A long winded story to say, don't underestimate yourself, or overestimate your competition. The real kicker is to an outsider, you and the competition are viewed as equal.
    As you may know, I am a contractor who builds decks. Over the years I have had a number of civil engineers and architects ask me to build their deck. In every single instance, the deck was hopelessly either over or under designed and I would always wind up completely redesigning the plan to make it work, and/or to meet the building code.
    I've also had many wealthy clients about whom you would wonder if they had enough brain capacity to put their pants on in the morning.
    1971 Avanti II, 2022 F250 4 dr diesel
    '89 Coupe, ,'F550 Dump
    '21 Bronco 4-door, 22 Mustang vert
    '18 Ecosport, 2018 F-55
    '17 F-250, 96 Mustang GT vert

Quote Originally Posted by ChickenLips View Post
    Competency and showing up will become valuable currency in coming days. Our replacements have yet to learn adulting. Don't sell your tools.
    I'm not sure professionals or customers see much value in this anymore —sure there good qualities and they would like to see the showing up part more but the lack of value may be the reason not too —I've leaned more to the not too, simple because of the lack of value...
    1979 Pace Car 302 4spd
    1981 Cobra t-top option - power to be determined, in the works

Quote Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
    I'm not sure professionals or customers see much value in this anymore —sure there good qualities and they would like to see the showing up part more but the lack of value may be the reason not too —I've leaned more to the not too, simple because of the lack of value...
    not yet, wait until the participation trophy generation becomes the dominant cohort and ineptitude reigns

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    As you may know, I am a contractor who builds decks. Over the years I have had a number of civil engineers and architects ask me to build their deck. In every single instance, the deck was hopelessly either over or under designed and I would always wind up completely redesigning the plan to make it work, and/or to meet the building code.
    I've also had many wealthy clients about whom you would wonder if they had enough brain capacity to put their pants on in the morning.
    the problem is the more ignorant the buyer is about the goods or service the more they will consider all offers as equal. An ignorant buyer won't be able to differentiate Chevette from Corvette and will demand higher value at low cost.

Then it becomes a race to the bottom for 1st contract, followed by a war of attrition waiting for incompetents business to whither.

Brakes done. Feels great. Longer pedal travel as expected since there’s more fluid going to the front brakes. Stops way better though. If I had better tires than factory Firestones, it would stop better.

8E7C8DD2-59CD-44C6-98D1-5530C6CD5009.jpeg
    E820D16C-7904-4356-B823-FB692E098B00.jpeg
    1AA2CB96-98FF-48AA-9F2B-D4D7C1A2A6F2.jpeg
    2014 V6 MT Club of America
    IG: xeninworx