Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Coil Over Suspension

MEANMCHN
    BTW, my fastest lap was on an 1/8th tank of gas, just me, with the car on Hoosier R6s. The way it sits is around 1:33-1:35, hoping to dip into the 1:30.X once the new suspension gets dialed.

HyperGT
    good deal. KW have a great rep, i know i keep,saying things about Porsche but lots of guys run them and like them. Sure JT Ohlins are awesome and serious $$$
    MM your laptimes are impressive and as I said the fastest mustang i have seen, and most other street cars for that matter. Clearly an experienced and good driver....dropping 3 sec from just coilovers is a lot to expect though unless you are doing other things as well. Have fun let us know how it works out.

MEANMCHN
    Quote Originally Posted by HyperGT View Post
    good deal. KW have a great rep, i know i keep,saying things about Porsche but lots of guys run them and like them. Sure JT Ohlins are awesome and serious $$$
    MM your laptimes are impressive and as I said the fastest mustang i have seen, and most other street cars for that matter. Clearly an experienced and good driver....dropping 3 sec from just coilovers is a lot to expect though unless you are doing other things as well. Have fun let us know how it works out.
    Ya, it's more than just the coilovers, the steering has had work done to it, new bushings throughout the suspension, knocked out about 30lbs from the car, new rear sway bar and more aggressive alignment for the 19th session. Should be ok for it, it's optimistic for sure, we'll see. Hopefully the guy is there with telemetry system.

Quote Originally Posted by tulowd View Post
    good street tires might get you 1.0 g's or thereabouts on a flat corner. R comps maybe 1.3....
    race rubber, can get closer to 2g's if there is enough heat in them.

aka; I'm thinking he's not running G/60/15 bias ply's on the car, lol
    ic, then that is not a difference. I was also running hoosiers this season.
    BECAUSE RACECAR

MEANMCHN
    Quote Originally Posted by Not4you View Post
    ic, then that is not a difference. I was also running hoosiers this season.
    What cold/hot pressures were you running on the Hoosiers? R6s? I usually go 22psi cold and around 26psi hot, seems to work best, it's a little washy for the first lap but they grip great. I'm running R compound Nittos now because I need something treaded, road legal and non-directional as you can only run 2 spares for Targa NFLD. No point getting used to the REALLY sticky stuff anymore.

Interesting on the pressures that are working on yours with Hoosiers. BFG R1's on mine, happiest when I started in the 34-36 range and build to about 40 hot.

They were a set of Hoosier Cup tires that I got used. 275x17 on all 4 corners. Ran them at about 34 cold, 39 or so hot. so way higher pressure than you. previously I had BFG R1s using the same pressures as ZR mentions above.

honestly, I have never heard of anyone ever running uber tires that low. any more details/tech to share on that??
    BECAUSE RACECAR

^^ Neither have I, reason I commented.

MEANMCHN
    If you're anywhere near 40 psi with R6s you'll over heat them REAL quick - you probably also noticed them under steering (if so, you're running way too much pressure). There's virtually 0 sidewall flex with that tire and that much pressure just makes the whole setup too stiff and you're relying on the compound only to do the gripping. Some people run a lot of pressure because it makes the tire consistent initially (but lacks peak grip). If you're going quickly enough there is very little time spent in a neutral space, you're always turning so there is lateral load on the tire 95% of the time which eliminates the loose feeling.

http://youtu.be/iFniwOkr6R8

Cortex starts at 26 psi cold (probably 30psi hot). I like it softer but it's personal preference and setup. If I run 28-30psi cold (+34psi hot depending on the weather/track temp/sunny/cloudy) once I get into the higher boost levels the tires start to spin. Around 26-28psi hot I find that I can corner in 4th, hit the apex and just put my foot to the floor without having to collect any over steer. Because of the lower pressure I sacrifice a bit of straight line speed (probably 5km/h on the back straight, but I'd rather lose 0.5 second there and pick up 1.5 by being able to use full tits mid corner in 3rd and 4th gear).

interesting. going to try that out next season - depending on what tire I go with to replace the Hoosiers. for the moment it looks like I may go with the NT-01s.
    BECAUSE RACECAR