Remove Text Formatting

Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Uh oh. Re: towing capacities.

Quote Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
    150's today are as strong as 3/4's from 10 years ago. Adam's f_150 has a 7700 lb gvw, which is more than the 7600 lb F-250 I bought in 2007.
    My '17 F-250 has a 990 lb GVW which is the sale as my F-350 in 2005.
    Most manufactures offer to down rate the GVWR on the newer 3/4 and 1 tonnes because in Ontario going above a certain GVWR results in more expensive stickers and other headaches. It's not that those trucks haven't gotten better its that the Ministry is still very pig headed. With the 1/2 tonne stuff I think half of it is consumer demand and the other half materials and engineering. I wouldn't call it stronger per say as HD trucks are going to fair better in the long run when you work them hard vs. a 1/2 tonne, but 1/2 tonnes are certainly more capable than the once were.

As per salespeople I agree to an extend. Absolutely some will try to sell you anything to get it off the lot, but also imagine trying to know every detail of all these different tow rating variables, as well as having to know the fuel economy of the focus vs. fiesta, the truck space of an edge vs. and explorer, which trim levels of fusion have bluetooth, and a million other trim variables and specs. Downright impossible and many consumers will want answers on the spot not "let me check the brochure".
    Quote Originally Posted by ludacris View Post
    I'm Supercharged with the HideAway License Plate

If it’s true that you can’t get the 10000lbs plus with the sport package that may be what boned me.
    Not blaming the dealer. I signed off on it. Should have double checked the max towing before I purchased.

I spoil with the sales guy and he is gonna look into what my buy out is and see what they can do

Just wondering now say screw it’s for the 3.5 or step into a superdudy and be done with t

Quote Originally Posted by 5.4MarkVIII View Post
    If it’s true that you can’t get the 10000lbs plus with the sport package that may be what boned me.
    Not blaming the dealer. I signed off on it. Should have double checked the max towing before I purchased.

I spoil with the sales guy and he is gonna look into what my buy out is and see what they can do

Just wondering now say screw it’s for the 3.5 or step into a superdudy and be done with t
    You could get Sport up around 10,000lbs I believe, but not the 20's as the only LT tires were the 17s and 18s or at least that's how it used to be. I did read somewhere that this was changing for 2018 and that there would be a 20" tire max tow option however a quick glance at the brochure online seems to indicate it's still 18's if you want that big number.

Going EcoBoost seems to get you a larger safety net, as they seem to be all in the 10,700 range but again do you want to be that close to the rating with just you, truck and trailer? If you're talking about short trips from the house to the dock and back probably fine, but if you plan on run around all over the place with weight behind you on the regular I'd look at a Super Duty. Unless of course it's your daily driver in which case lets welcome another variable to the party.

Already have 2 trips planned this year for the trailer and boat. One to long point (2 hour drive) and one to a lake north of Huntsville.

I have an '18 Crew 6.5' box with sport package, max tow and 20" wheels (which are required for maximum tow rating of 13,200) and it's good to tow 13,200 lbs. Bill has a nice new '18 magma crew sport spec'd with max tow and is good for 13,200 lbs trailer. Max tow requires eco boost and 3.55 gears unless you get max paylaod then you get 18" wheels and no sport r even high level 302A or 502A pkg. If you want 5.0 then no max tow. You can still tow 11,000lbs with a 5.0 in 2018. Max tow Eco boost with 20" wheels has rear gawr of 4050lbs and if you get 18" wheels and no max payload you only get rear gawr of 3800lbs. I have studied the crap out of this. All my numbers are for '18 f150's

I guess that doesn't really help you out. Someone at your dealer was a bit shady. Sucks. Im sure t will tow just fine anyhow. I towed my 38' camper that weighs just over 10,000 lbs with my 09 f150 that was rated for 9600 and payload of only 1333 lbs with no trouble. Are you using Weight dist hitch?
    Last edited by bluetoy; 04-12-2018 at 04:40 PM.

so spoke with the dealer and he ran some numbers due to being just one year into the lease and the dollar being crap IF ford approves the buy out and refinance I'm looking at taking a hit to the tune of 200 per month more than I'm paying now
    unless I can get lease busters to find someone to do a lease take over.

gonna see if I can get the boat out of storage tomorrow so I can get it weighed to find out exactly how much it weighs

What type of craft is it?

tow the trailer with the F150
    tow the boat with the wife's car.
    -Don____________

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post
    What he said... pics?!?!
    '88 LX

Quote Originally Posted by Laffs View Post