PDA

View Full Version : Here we go again, lost via gps glitch.

ZR
12-12-2016, 04:46 PM
https://nz.news.yahoo.com/video/watch/33488151/gps-leaves-family-stranded-in-oregon-snow/#page1

Ponyryd
12-12-2016, 07:36 PM
Ya, they can really screw you sometimes. Great when they work, terrible when they don't, and now most people (myself included) trust them and go off into the sunset with no backup. Mine never took me the wrong way but more than once it took me off a highway, then back on one exit ahead of where I just got off, lol, so I passed the spot I exited at.

ZR
12-12-2016, 07:52 PM
I get that but, how stunned do you have to be to go mile after mile after mile on an unplowed road before it dawns on your the gps just might be wrong?

Ponyryd
12-12-2016, 10:51 PM
Ya for sure, might wanna stop due to the weather or call for help at least.

ZR
12-12-2016, 11:21 PM
They never seem to stop until totally screwed.

baddbullitt
12-13-2016, 08:21 AM
That's why I still prefer using an old fashioned regular map!!! I also encourage all my drivers to have a big Rand McNally on hand because a gps can send you to some strange ass places!!! And of course roads they're not supposed to be on..lol

RedSN
12-13-2016, 09:59 AM
That's why I still prefer using an old fashioned regular map!!!
How would the paper map know it was an unploughed road? You still need common sense.

I think the difference GPS has made is people just jump in the car and type in the address and go. No route planning, just let the GPS do it for you.
When going on a trip somewhere, I generally review the route (on Google maps or something) and know the general direction and roads I will be taking. The GPS really helps in pin-pointing where along that route you are and warns you about upcoming turns. Also helps a lot once you get closer to your destination.

Having said that, I followed my GPS on to a fire access road once. I was not happy about that. Neither was my exhaust system.

baddbullitt
12-13-2016, 10:28 AM
How would the paper map know it was an unploughed road?

You nor the map would know this. Some people just prefer to do things the old fashioned way. Now everyone's spoiled and reliant solely on tech items to get them from place to place some people forgot about the adventure of going places. No people are only focused on the destination. Quite sad when you think of it. Half the fun used to be going there.. I remember road trips back in the 80's when it was all just maps and asking directions!!! Those were the best road trips ever.. Adventure and excitement...

Laffs
12-13-2016, 10:47 AM
I remember one time in the CTS-V on the way to a track day in Calabogie the GPS kept trying to take us down logging roads and a ATV trails it thought were highway, but we had the common sense to look at the roads before barreling down them and getting it high sided.

You have to plan trips, I hate blind trust in any one method or technology. Did they not plan the route before hand at all and check road conditions? Also going out in winter without proper equipment is just inviting disaster.

5.4MarkVIII
12-13-2016, 05:23 PM
I love how they angle the blame at the gps. Like the guy couldn't look at the deep snow and think mabey not the best choice. And to bring up th girl who trove down the boat ramp in Tobermory. Sorry but yes the boat ramp is at the end of the road but if you drive down it your clearly no paying any attention at all. Just waiting for someone to try and sue a gps company due to their own idiocy

ZR
12-14-2016, 09:19 AM
How would the paper map know it was an unploughed road? You still need common sense.

I think the difference GPS has made is people just jump in the car and type in the address and go. No route planning, just let the GPS do it for you.
When going on a trip somewhere, I generally review the route (on Google maps or something) and know the general direction and roads I will be taking. The GPS really helps in pin-pointing where along that route you are and warns you about upcoming turns. Also helps a lot once you get closer to your destination.

Having said that, I followed my GPS on to a fire access road once. I was not happy about that. Neither was my exhaust system.

Same here Don.