PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a car that has no monetary value

Clutt gt
01-01-2017, 08:28 PM
I was reading the thread about the stolen 70 Chevelle. Some one had posted that's what Hagarty is for.
Yes I agree that is what insurance is for but there is the other side of this.
No not the personal side of you fuckers took my car.
But the attachment side of the car. This Chevelle was his toy for 30 years. Wow
My Replica was and still is my dream car.
The Shelby 427 Cobra was and is my all time favorite car. I had the time of my life restoring our Replica with my father. As well a few members on this board wrenching and guidance.
My father now sports a fore arm Tat of our car. It resides in my garage but is and always will be our car.
There is no cash value in my opinion that I would be content with though I agree you have to have insurance for such cases. I'm just saying I would rather have the car.
So if you have a car that true value is more than the sum of its parts, or the "appraised" value. A car that when asked you simply reply no sorry it's not for sale.
Post it up and explain why it's so special.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/9BC9391D-F3D6-47F2-8639-ABA40A2435BB.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/F5BB1B42-647B-4AB4-BCBE-13D4AA4AA30F.jpg
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/8A60C238-A339-4383-A2FE-7FF6E3B42F31-12373-00001627E9F0D40D.jpg

Screw
01-01-2017, 09:20 PM
Sweet

RedSN
01-01-2017, 09:21 PM
I wouldn't be able to take my car to the track, or even drive it on the street if I felt that way about my car. Don't get me wrong, I would be upset/sad if I lost my car. ....but it would be an opportunity to build another one.

TheMustangShow
01-01-2017, 09:36 PM
I only get that attached to things that have a heart and blood pumping through their veins.

If my cars or bikes get stolen, I'll take the Ins. cheque and buy another.

speedfreak
01-01-2017, 10:06 PM
I guess I cant say to much I have not had a car that is any where that special to me never have ...there just cars!

tulowd
01-01-2017, 10:34 PM
I'm the one that said that's what Hagerty is for.

That comment was based on the personal experience of owning and modding a car for 23 years.......only to have it written off when someone pulled a left on a yellow light......and then having to fight with the insurance company for 3 months, only to receive about half the value. Just had a brand new PSP motor installed 3 weeks earlier..... that cost around $ 10k, which is what the final payout was......plus the wreck.

Losing your pride and joy and getting nothing for the loss would be worse, as would having a malicious act deprive you of your hard work and public persona, or getting hurt while the car is destroyed.

Having said all of that, how much you love your car or bike is irrelevant, if someone wants it bad enough, anything can get stolen; and crashes happen all the time.
What if your garage burned down with the car inside? Can't fix that anymore than a Fox with a twisted firewall.

My lesson from that little disaster in 2010 was to properly insure the new car for some value that will allow shopping for a decent replacement in case of the worst scenario. Of course, that costs a pretty penny, but having some financial security in case of a total loss makes it worth it for me.

My new Fox has several thousand hours of my time and about triple the funds invested in it, but I do miss the old beast.....nothing will ever totally replace it, even a much nicer, faster, and more hot rodded car.

Speedtospare
01-02-2017, 12:00 AM
I'm not with Hagerty but I have agreed value with my insurance company. As much as I love the Modfox (mod motor fox body) and Akuma (LS swapped Datsun 240Z) I would say anything for sale for the right price. Offer me stupid money and I will take it and build a new one. Of course I dont have the memories attached like Jeremy does. One day I may.

Uncle Buck
01-02-2017, 09:36 AM
^^ nice Mopar!

I understand where Clutt is coming from but what makes "things" invaluable to me are the memories associated to them, not the item itself. No one can steal, crash or burn down your memories. You get to keep and cherish them long after the item they are attached to is gone.

WTF
01-02-2017, 10:04 AM
yeah....I own a car that's worth way more than the sum of it's parts....for a number of reasons:

1) was my Dad's car...so while I'm "technically" the owner now....I consider myself more of a caretaker of the car

2) Dad wanted his ashes spread at the 16th hole of the Jasper Park Lodge Golf course in Jasper AB...so I put him in his car and drove him 4000kms from Toronto to Jasper...figured it would be a fitting way to get him there...top down all the way...so there's some serious sentimental value

3) car is a 1990 Morgan +8...one of about 5000 built between 1968 and 2004....not the easiest thing to replace if you ever sold it and wanted to buy another one

4) these cars are pretty expensive to buy....and when you get the little thing up on a hoist and start looking at the steel ladder frame, leaf springs in the rear, ancient sliding pillar design on the front susp, ash wood chassis, hand rolled aluminum body, and an endless amount of flat-head screws everywhere.....you say "that's it???".....and you know you own something that's worth way more than the sum of it's parts

I don't worry about it getting stolen....I don't think there's a strong market out there for stolen Morgan parts.....but it's properly insured for a value it would likely sell for if I ever decided too

Clutt gt
01-02-2017, 11:59 AM
Tulowd I'm surprised but I get it. I would have thought your fox would mean more but I get it.
Yes I have had cars that were just cars and yes the memories are forever.
What I was getting at was more of a No it's not for sale kinda thing.
Yes my family comes before any car.
But if the time ever came the Cobra would be the last luxury to go. If I could not have it on the road I would be ok as long as it was here.
It is insured for more than it would realistically sell for in today's market.
I would not sell for double or triple that amount.
And yes that is bad business 101.
There are a few cars on this board that I would think in my opinion would never be forsale
That prostreet road runner was one that I was thinking of.
WTF and his Morgan/ yet I bet for the right price you could own his beautiful Mustang.
Widower has a Road runner with his father that his father bought new. I would be shocked to see it up for sale.
Ghost rider and Bobs Mach1 come to mind.
Again these are some of the cars that I would believe to be worth more than the sum of their parts.

The Newmare
01-02-2017, 07:09 PM
when it comes down to family and memories how can you put a value on it,like Jeremy, building it with his Dad.........priceless!!

WidowrRacing
01-02-2017, 09:13 PM
I've heard many people say over the years "It's just a car"
This saying may be true to most people but not ALL.

In my case i explained in my previous thread about the RRunner and how my dad was new to Canada and bought his first brand new car for approx $3600 and financed it in 1969. What made the experience even more exciting for him was walking into the Chrysler dealership with others and all purchasing new cars at the same time.
As silly as it sounds now my mother said one of the reasons she married my dad at the age of 16 after only knowing him a few months was because he had a job and a new car.

My dad daily drove this car summer and winter until 73-74 I believe until he had enough money to buy another vehicle.
I have so many memories in this car and continue to build more yearly except my son is included in them now.

Fully restoring the car was a long process and expensive but worth every penny when I watch my dad stand next to it and talk about it to strangers or even friends or family members who can't believe we still have it.

I've heard my dad tell many the cars not for sale since the 80's and it certainly isn't now that it's restored.
I see just how rare it is to actually have a one owner fully numbers matching muscle car when I browse classic cars on a regular basis.

55 HD
01-02-2017, 09:16 PM
^^ nice Mopar!

I understand where Clutt is coming from but what makes "things" invaluable to me are the memories associated to them, not the item itself. No one can steal, crash or burn down your memories. You get to keep and cherish them long after the item they are attached to is gone.

Hence the Tattoo, you can't cut off my right arm. I would have to say WTF will keep his memories alive every time he looks or drives that car. Great post Tim. As for the Mopar, COOL, just Cool. That car has good memories that I can relate too. I do think That Mach has it's place and gets to stretch it wheels every year with a great memory. The only thing about some of these stories is a car is attached to the metal....or plastic, lol

There are more cars on this forum with great stories. Not to mention a name but someone just bought their old car back for more than he sold it for. There is a reason.........memories it is called.

YA WINTER TIME

ZR
01-03-2017, 08:35 AM
I've had moments when I've thought it was time to send mine down the road but it always fades within seconds behind the wheel n the first squeeze of the loud pedal. Not a matter of money, already been offered "the right amount" so it really just comes down to I like it so much. Only real temptation is the red Boss Bill has for sale but it would have to be an addition to the Cobra not it's replacement