PDA

View Full Version : Can't decide on a tool box for home. Keep my snap on or sell it

Hutch
01-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Looking for tech opinions.
I have recently gotten out of the trade. I still work once in a while on Saturday's at my old shop just so I can keep my foot in. My problem is that I don't want to leave my tool box there anymore but I can't decide what to do with it. It's a snap on and I love the box but it's huge. I thought about selling it and buying 2 husky boxes. One to leave at the shop (so I won't care it gets hit while I'm not there), and one to have at home. This would also give me a few grand in my pocket. Or, I bring my box home and buy a husky box for the shop. My garage at home is big enough to have the box and a few cars in it. But do I really need that nice of a box at home? Will I regret selling it? I'm looking for tech opinions as they will understand. Not trying to be rude but a lot of people not in the trade don't understand about spending thousands on a tool box. Quality tool boxes are worth the money, for work.
Thanks

Old Fart
01-07-2017, 12:08 PM
I would keep the tool box. I'm not in the trade, but I love tools (and tool boxes!!) and having a top quality box in my garage would be great.

RedSN
01-07-2017, 12:11 PM
Quality tool boxes are worth the money, for work.
I'm just going to put this out there (because I know you are looking for tech recommendations/opinions):
If you're not hurting for money, and the SnapOn fits well at home, I would keep it. I have one SnapOn box, and one Lowe's box. The Lowe's one is good, but it's no SnapOn.

That's all.

Edit: LOL, Bruter and I are of the same (amateur) opinion.
Edit edit: and pic of the box in question!

ZR
01-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Just me but, could never part with my Snap on box's.

Hutch
01-07-2017, 12:20 PM
I'm just going to put this out there (because I know you are looking for tech recommendations/opinions):
If you're not hurting for money, and the SnapOn fits well at home, I would keep it. I have one SnapOn box, and one Lowe's box. The Lowe's one is good, but it's no SnapOn.

That's all.

Edit: LOL, Bruter and I are of the same (amateur) opinion.
Edit edit: and pic of the box in question!

I'm not hurting for money, no. But having a couple grand extra in my pocket could be nice. Possibly put me into position to
Move up to terminator, if my wife doesn't find out.. lol

Hutch
01-07-2017, 12:21 PM
Just me but, could never part with my Snap on box's.
That's why I'm having such a hard time with this! It's a lot of money to sit at home and not get used daily anymore.

ZR
01-07-2017, 12:37 PM
I hear you. For me, memory of how broke n for how long it took to pay for em will always see them stay around.

Ponyryd
01-07-2017, 12:46 PM
If its big, expensive and in good shape, sell it, you don't need a snap-on for home, and if you're no longer in the trade it's just going down in value. Get the money while you can and get yourself a couple smaller boxes.

mavrrrick
01-07-2017, 01:22 PM
My wife bought me a 42" tool box from Costco a few years back...I love it

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

1BAD92LX
01-07-2017, 01:28 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm with the same company but moved to new building that has tool boxes supplied. My snap on box is now in the corner collecting dust. Don't really have room for it at home but cant seem to part with it. So I guess I'm not much help

Hutch
01-07-2017, 01:30 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm with the same company but moved to new building that has tool boxes supplied. My snap on box is now in the corner collecting dust. Don't really have room for it at home but cant seem to part with it. So I guess I'm not much help

Haha! Same as me!!! It's so frustrating

mavrrrick
01-07-2017, 01:40 PM
Hard choice to make.

1BAD92LX
01-07-2017, 01:44 PM
My same tool box to buy now is 2 grand more than I paid 10 years ago.

tulowd
01-07-2017, 01:57 PM
I recently bought a 56 x 22 x 40 tall Harbor Freight box brand new for $ 1100 inc exchange and local taxes in Buffalo. It's not a Snap On or Mac, but WAY better than anything I have seen for sale in the big box stores. Had thought of doing the Snap On, as I already have a 27" oldie from when I was in my teens, but then I wouldn't be able to afford to paint my car.

What size and model and some pics would be a good place to start. If you can get good bread for it, dump it and replace with something suitable for your home garage and keep the diff. If you can't get real dough out of that deal, then keep it.

Hutch
01-07-2017, 02:24 PM
I recently bought a 56 x 22 x 40 tall Harbor Freight box brand new for $ 1100 inc exchange and local taxes in Buffalo. It's not a Snap On or Mac, but WAY better than anything I have seen for sale in the big box stores. Had thought of doing the Snap On, as I already have a 27" oldie from when I was in my teens, but then I wouldn't be able to afford to paint my car.

What size and model and some pics would be a good place to start. If you can get good bread for it, dump it and replace with something suitable for your home garage and keep the diff. If you can't get real dough out of that deal, then keep it.
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/saleen71/1005566_10151702914916145_1193024766_n_zpsjaeg4frs .jpg (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/saleen71/media/1005566_10151702914916145_1193024766_n_zpsjaeg4frs .jpg.html)

Its big. Measures 68" long, 30" deep 46" high. My garage can fit it easily but I'm just not sure I really need it at home but I'm having a hard time parting with it. I can still get good money for it.

Hutch
01-07-2017, 02:44 PM
I was looking at this husky box out of the states. $450 usd. It's not listed up here for some reason. Looks not bad.http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/saleen71/1ab5a7f8-45d5-4d67-b2e2-b19c1ca3c4d7_1000_zpsxrabfh5v.jpg (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/saleen71/media/1ab5a7f8-45d5-4d67-b2e2-b19c1ca3c4d7_1000_zpsxrabfh5v.jpg.html)
Or an international box from Costco, which are Canadian made. They look really cheap though

mavrrrick
01-07-2017, 03:38 PM
Look Costco on line. More available therein think. Mine is pretty good I think..lol

mavrrrick
01-07-2017, 03:39 PM
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170107/93da357a11f0c79eddef2fa09214c4fe.jpg

Clutt gt
01-07-2017, 03:46 PM
I was looking at this husky box out of the states. $450 usd. It's not listed up here for some reason. Looks not bad.http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/saleen71/1ab5a7f8-45d5-4d67-b2e2-b19c1ca3c4d7_1000_zpsxrabfh5v.jpg (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/saleen71/media/1ab5a7f8-45d5-4d67-b2e2-b19c1ca3c4d7_1000_zpsxrabfh5v.jpg.html)
Or an international box from Costco, which are Canadian made. They look really cheap though

I have four husky boxes. Two in my garage and two in my trailer for work.
In fact I have the one you posted in my garage.
Don't sell your snap on. You know what a good box feels like. You will regret it every time you open a drawer. Unless you desperately need the money keep your box.
That husky is barely worthy of an amateur handy man.
It's cheap and that's the only good thing you can sa about it.

Ponyryd
01-07-2017, 04:28 PM
That looks like an epic box, no? In which case it was probably close to $10k new, if it was me and I didn't use it every day I would sell it as quick as I can, it will only drop in value and if you get good money for it now you can use that cash for a couple smaller boxes and maybe some fun money. The Costco ones are okay, same as the Harnour Freight, there's two guys at my shop with one of each, they're getting a bit tired, each one is easily 5 years old though and used every day.

Hutch
01-07-2017, 05:35 PM
I have four husky boxes. Two in my garage and two in my trailer for work.
In fact I have the one you posted in my garage.
Don't sell your snap on. You know what a good box feels like. You will regret it every time you open a drawer. Unless you desperately need the money keep your box.
That husky is barely worthy of an amateur handy man.
It's cheap and that's the only good thing you can sa about it.
Good to know. Thanks

Hutch
01-07-2017, 05:40 PM
That looks like an epic box, no? In which case it was probably close to $10k new, if it was me and I didn't use it every day I would sell it as quick as I can, it will only drop in value and if you get good money for it now you can use that cash for a couple smaller boxes and maybe some fun money. The Costco ones are okay, same as the Harnour Freight, there's two guys at my shop with one of each, they're getting a bit tired, each one is easily 5 years old though and used every day.

It is an epic. I got a smoking deal on it as it was used for a couple months before I bought it.

Thanks everyone for the input. Honestly I have been trying to decide what to do with the box for months

tulowd
01-08-2017, 12:23 PM

Currently have 4 of the Sears Professional boxes (2x27" 2x42", all mfd by International), a Snap On and Beach 27" combo, 3 HF boxes and just sold a 44"international upper and lower combo from Costco. Also have a bunch of Kobalt HD and Gladiator in the basement.

The HF boxes sold today are definitely a step above the Intl. Keep in mind the 56" and 72" HF are the real deal; the 44 is cheaper but not quite as HD.
The HD black deep Kobalt boxes are a pleasant surprise when they go on sale or have scratch and dent. Had 4 of the Stanley cheap black boxes in the GFs garage and they worked fine for the money, but real tool storage costs real money.

If I had the bread, I would do all Snap On, or with 75% $, MAC or Matco. Everything else is a big step down.

98 Snake
01-08-2017, 05:27 PM
I would keep it. I have my snap on box at work and I have the very first box I bought when I started the trade at home in the garage and don't plan on selling any of them.
That are building a new building for us us and will probably have benches with boxes for us so I will have to find room too keep them both

TurboFox
01-08-2017, 06:19 PM
I don't understand why an overpriced tool box can make someone better as a mechanic at work.

I've always wondered if the drawers opening quicker justifies the enormous price tag LOL

But what do I know I don't work in the industry.....

RedSN
01-08-2017, 06:36 PM
https://media.giphy.com/media/sLNFqdD4r92bC/giphy.gif

Clutt gt
01-08-2017, 10:57 PM
The box you keep your tools in will not make you better at your job.
But that said. Quality just feels better to work with.
The drawers feel smooth when they slide out, they have less play side to side, and flat out hold more weight.
Mechanics tools are extremely heavy and a cheap box will let you know just how heavy.
Here are two of my Husky boxes being worked.
They are loaded much lighter than even a home mechanic, and really don't get opened all that much.
They are two years old and not holding up all that well.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/5E882BBF-F451-4CAE-AACD-378F0D2605DA-1127-000003800E1A9CEB_zpsd1cc0a91.jpg
Here is my home tool box wich has basic mechanic tools. These are holding up but just feel like cheap crap once you get any weight in them.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/7584678D-1624-4251-8862-DEF1B920AAAF.jpg
If I could I would replace them all with good quality boxes. Starting with the ones in the work trailer of course.
I do agree they are over priced but so are the husky junk for what you end up getting.

Ponyryd
01-09-2017, 11:13 AM
I don't understand why an overpriced tool box can make someone better as a mechanic at work.

I've always wondered if the drawers opening quicker justifies the enormous price tag LOL

But what do I know I don't work in the industry.....

Examples could be given for any other subject.

Does a new paintjob make your fox faster? coulda left it and spent more on parts

Does a new truck make towing easier? coulda got a cheaper one and still worked fine

Does a hot chick make your life better? coulda got a big ugly one, they all have the same parts

It's all relative.

5.4MarkVIII
01-09-2017, 02:58 PM
Even when I was in n the trade I was not one to drop huge money on a giant tool box. How ever at the time i did buy a decent quality tool cart. When I got out of the trade I sold it. Didn't figure I'd have use for it. Years later I wish I still had it.

If it's payed for and you don't need the cash keep it around.

Hutch
01-15-2017, 08:23 PM
So I have been leaning toward keeping the box and I appreciate all the feed back. I was at Home Depot the other and thought I would check out the husky tool boxes. Wow. The weight of my tools would ruin that box. If anything I might sell it and buy a smaller snap on box. Check out the quality they had on display!! This box was totally screwed. The metal is very thin and the sliders don't seem very good. I had a good laugh in the store. Great display!!
http://i756.photobucket.com/albums/xx201/saleen71/IMG_2593_zpsnt5ckdlx.jpg (http://s756.photobucket.com/user/saleen71/media/IMG_2593_zpsnt5ckdlx.jpg.html)

Clutt gt
01-15-2017, 08:37 PM
I'm glad we agree :)
I would love to have outfitted my work trailer with a box like yours. Maybe some day.
But yes the husky boxes are very very light duty