PDA

View Full Version : 2006 stereo upgrade advice please

Uncle Buck
01-16-2017, 10:29 AM
Toying with the idea of upgrading the tunes in my 06. Current Shaker 500 is meh, ok but wouldn't mind some improvement.

Not looking for the ultimate, just notably better than OEM.

6x8 suggestions

8" door suggestions. Replacement options are complicated here due to mounting depth and oem amp impedance

HU suggestions. I'd kind of like a touch screen that can run OBDll apps

Truck sub, are they worth it? Heavy, expensive, bulky

NickD
01-17-2017, 01:18 AM
First step is replace the factory radio, system is quite a bit better after just that change. Norm and I can both vouch.
Call me tomorrow and I can make some radio suggestions in exchange for DOB advise.

tulowd
01-17-2017, 08:45 AM
OEM head unit is too expensive to replace for the gains it will give you.

1) Replace all the speakers with decent separate components, or 2 way coaxials. Solid MDF baffles and Dynamat can make a huge difference here - any rattle or panel motion absorbs sound and reduces the quality. These can only work if the OEM speakers you are replacing are close to 4 ohms (3-6 is usually ok).
2) Real sub(s), either Bazooka, free air 10's or 12's on a baffle board or a real cabinet.
3) integrating amps using a line level adaptor like a Cervin Vega is not optimal but will yield decent results for the money and give you tunability, which will make a huge difference, if done correctly. Power and signal distribution, phase alignment and finding the limits are every bit as important as the components. Even OEM systems can benefit from this in many cases.

Between $500 and $1000 should get ya rockin, depending how much you do yourself and whether you're buying used or new equipment.

PM me if you would like to chat on the phone regarding this.

Uncle Buck
01-17-2017, 09:17 AM
Thanks for the suggestions

After much surfing I think I'll take a phased approach and will try and keep the oem look as much as possible. This way it limits the endless options and I can stop at any point if I'm happy with the results.

Phase one, replace the door and rear deck speaker. Leaning toward Kicker 44KSC68
Phase two, replace the head unit. No idea here yet but a decent touch screen
Phase three, replace the door subs. Leaning towards the Kicker 43CWRT81 since it's a plug and play with the oem amps.
Phase four, a trunk sub. Not sure I'll get here but if I do, will lean towards a vechicle specific solution.

allicedout
01-17-2017, 10:21 AM
Phase one, replace the door and rear deck speaker. Leaning toward Kicker 44KSC68
Phase two, replace the head unit. No idea here yet but a decent touch screen
Phase three, replace the door subs. Leaning towards the Kicker 43CWRT81 since it's a plug and play with the oem amps.
Phase four, a trunk sub. Not sure I'll get here but if I do, will lean towards a vehicle specific solution.

Since your looking at Kicker components I'd definitely look at the Kicker VSS SubStage Powered Subwoofer Kit for the 2005-2014 Mustang. Clean look, fits in the corner of the trunk like the Shaker 1000 and will compliment the other Kicker components. Previously owning a 2005 Mustang I'd switch phase 1 and 2. Definitely go with a head unit first. Just IMO though.......

Slick_89_Hatch
01-17-2017, 11:51 AM
I would have to disagree with the head unit too expensive. I just replaced the head unit in my 06 GT with shaker 1000.

Pioneer Head unit with bluetooth, Ipod, 4V pre outs (3 sets) $200 + tax
Dash Kit $30
Harness $25

My shaker 1000 with the new head unit is NIGHT AND DAY. Tremendous difference in quality.

I'd start with the head unit, then the 6x8's which will vary in price. Let's $300 for 4 decent ones from Kicker or Pioneer.
From there, i'd look at a sub set up for the trunk if you need more bass. The new head unit will allow much more adjustment of the 8" door subs which will clean up the sound quite a bit.

Monera3v
01-17-2017, 12:18 PM
Door speakers I would recommend the kickers 6x8 ford factory replacements or you might have to replace the amplifier with something a little more powerful if you decided to get more stronger speakers (sound will fold after volume increase and amps cannot push any further)

Door woofers (8" at the bottom) is a Dual 4.6ohm which gives it a final value of 1ohm.
You need need to purchase a dvc 4ohm 8" sub or woofer in order to replace the door speaker as a single voice coil will only be using half the amps to power the replacement speaker (if u purchase 1 single voice coil @ 1ohm)
Replacing the factory deck does improve your sound quality and control over digital EQ, that something you would have to look into yourself and see which one suit your needs (usb , navi, touch, eq setting, colors function etcs)

I also have foam baffles on my speakers to create a fake seal in order to increase the frequency response from the speakers treble and bass.

I think Allicedout has a pretty nice oBD2 style HU, might want to ask him how he likes his!

Slick_89_Hatch
01-17-2017, 05:40 PM
I found these on Amazon.ca...well priced...not sure how much the quality differs from the KS

https://www.amazon.ca/Pairs-KICKER-Coaxial-Speakers-11DS68/dp/B00DCJUJUC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484689062&sr=8-1&keywords=Kicker+6x8

Uncle Buck
01-17-2017, 07:12 PM
Thanks, great price. The DS model is one notch down from the KS. A good upgrade from oem though.

Given the advice here I think I'll spend some time looking at head unit options first and depending on the $$ will decide on the speakers later.

NickD
01-17-2017, 08:07 PM
Al, I'm not going to argue with anyone on here, but the reason I suggest changing the radio first is a speaker can only play the frequencys range that it is sent, in just about every factory sterios factory radios are tuned to optimize sound while preserving the shit paper drivers, this results in cutting bass and built in equilization that may color the sound in a negative way with different drivers. Shit in shit out. If you want more info let me know

Uncle Buck
01-17-2017, 11:31 PM
Thanks Nick. Makes sense.

Time to look for a head unit. So many options I'll really need to think about what features are important to me so I don't break the bank on stuff I'll never use.

tulowd
01-17-2017, 11:52 PM
The weak link on any OEM sound system are the speakers, as they are typically $3 paper cone junk. At least the head units have some electronics and some semblance of power. The output and digital trickery is not optimized for preserving the crap speakers, but rather tuned to the vehicle, limiting clipping, etc.

The OP also asked for a touch screen, and presumably wants something decent. That is going to cost more than $200 and if you say that running an aftermarket deck into OEM speakers sounds better than doing the reverse, I have to disagree with you, Norm. :)

Uncle Buck
01-18-2017, 12:40 AM
After a bit of surfing I've decided the touch screens offer stuff I don't need and yes, they are pricy so a simple mid level 2 DIM CD receiver and 4 Kicker DS or KS68's will fit the bill for now and should make a great improvement for $400-$500.

Harbinger
01-18-2017, 01:45 AM
Too bad they use paper cones. My camry's 18 year old paper cone speakers disintegrated and I literally was forced to get new kenwood 2 way speakers.

Slick_89_Hatch
01-18-2017, 08:20 AM
The weak link on any OEM sound system are the speakers, as they are typically $3 paper cone junk. At least the head units have some electronics and some semblance of power. The output and digital trickery is not optimized for preserving the crap speakers, but rather tuned to the vehicle, limiting clipping, etc.

The OP also asked for a touch screen, and presumably wants something decent. That is going to cost more than $200 and if you say that running an aftermarket deck into OEM speakers sounds better than doing the reverse, I have to disagree with you, Norm. :)

My bad Paul! I didn't see the note on touch screen....so ya...a nice touch screen head unit will be $500 or more. And Paul is right about the speakers, but I still think a new head unit will make the most significant impact.

I am probably going to pick up those Kicker 6x8's then when I install them, add some sound deadening in the doors and perhaps in the rear parcel shelf. Pretty sure ill be happy at that point and have about $600 into everything.

tulowd
01-18-2017, 12:02 PM
Good paper cone speakers sound much better than poly or carbon, other than tweeters, which are ideally carbon or soft dome.

Good move on Uncle Buck, that should be a good combo - make sure the speakers are installed solidly and Dynamat everything near them.

My 2004 F150 had the OEM head unit with a $25 line level adaptor, M&M/Amega separates and coaxes, a bridged 3 channel Alphasonik amp and a single 12 in a box. Granted, I have the equipment, so it would cost maybe $800 on Kijiji or $1200 buying smart new.
Louder and sounded cleaner and better than any OEM and most aftermarket installs I've heard; and the stock radio remained in place.

Harbinger
01-21-2017, 12:38 AM
Kenwood 9903s is amazing uses your phone's maps gps and displays it. Costs 850 taxes in i have it in my mach 1

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

maxwell6
01-23-2017, 09:35 AM
Hey Uncle Buck not sure if you picked up a new head unit yet. I just installed a new one in my 02 GT the fit is great and made a huge improvement compared to ths oem unit. The head unit I got is a Pioneer AVH-X4800BS. All that I expected and more,and the price was great. Around 500.00 out the door. Might even be less now.

RedSN
01-23-2017, 09:56 AM
...in just about every factory sterios factory radios are tuned to optimize sound while preserving the shit paper drivers, this results in cutting bass and built in equilization that may color the sound in a negative way with different drivers.
I would argue the opposite. The factory stereo is likely a truer output than the over equalized aftermarket deck. Victim of the "Loudness Wars" as described by Alan Cross.

I agree with Paul: start with quality speakers.

Slick_89_Hatch
01-23-2017, 09:58 AM
In both my 96 and 06, head unit change only yielding significant improvements. Ideally, headunit and speakers.

tulowd
01-23-2017, 10:31 AM
I would say that compression and the crappy MP3 sources are hard at work here. OEM equalization used to be tuned to the car interior, the newer stuff certainly has max volume levels way below what they should have; telling me they compress and limit dynamics.
This is overcome by summing the channels together and running the amplifier with a higher input sensitivity setting.

At he end of the day, the power and output of OEM radios/amps is much superior than their speakers, which continue to be a total joke.
My '14 FX4 came with the Sony 700W upgrade which is better than standard, but the electronic know it all's of compression and contouring really make for a poor experience. Play loud for a bit and it seems like the power level drops once the amps get hot. At low volumes, the sound quality is ok, but certainly not for the cost of the add-on plus the original radio - I'll be summing all 8 channels into a Cervin Vega Pre amplifier and then running a fancy electronic crossover (Audio Control or Pioneer CD1000!!!) and a few amps.....plus of course all new speakers.

The factory sub is a real piece of shit, too small a box with an 8", nut adds bass at low volume levels, especially with the windows open. That can be improved by adding some damping material inside, but I haven't gone there yet.

Something about a car I'm supposed to be building?

Uncle Buck
01-23-2017, 02:33 PM
Found a source for gear with prices well below anything in Canada even after the ride, exchange etc

AudioSaving.com from NY
They sell direct off their site as well as via eBay. Shipping is reasonable.

I validated them as a legit dealer on a couple of manufacturer sites.

I just ordered some quality component 5.25" for the front doors.

Local pricing $338 tax in.
AudioSavings price $175 CAD all in to my door

Worth a look

Uncle Buck
02-04-2019, 06:21 PM
Bumping this thread again. Since the original post I installed Rockford Fosgate Punch (called Power now) component door speakers and a pair of 3 way 6x8's on the rear deck. These are a step up from the Prime entry level speakers.

Definitely cleaner sound but almost too bright/harsh in the front. I'm not too happy with the way it sounds so I guess the next step is a head unit since I want to stream music anyway.

I don't need GPS and I'm not overly fussed about Apple Play etc, but I do use Spotify on my phone for tunes in my daily driver so it needs to support that. A backup camera would be handy but not mandatory.

For about the same money I can get either a better non-touch screen unit or an entry level touch screen. Budget is $400 max.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated which way to go and any model ideas.

maxwell6
02-07-2019, 09:33 AM
Hi Uncle Buck with all the new stereo components I installed, the best upgrade was dynamat. I removed all the interior and covered every where i could. All i can say is wow what a difference in sound quality using half the volume that i used to. For speakers I used JBL 5x7 component set front and same for rear deck,1 10 inch JL audio sub box for the trunk and it sounds great.

maxwell6
02-07-2019, 09:37 AM
Try looking in the Pioneer AVH head units they have more than you are looking for and are probably in that price range.

Laffs
02-07-2019, 10:31 AM
Ran this johnny in my old truck, worked great for the price and no issues with SQ in a budget system

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130501EX/Pioneer-AVH-501EX.html

NickD
02-07-2019, 02:37 PM
Al if it were me
I'd do something similar to this
https://www.crutchfield.ca/p_1301400NEX/Pioneer-MVH-1400NEX.html

App radio (either car play or android auto) will give you gps for your road trips and I find pioneer has some of the easiest to use radios.
I've got an older model in mine.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Uncle Buck
02-07-2019, 03:17 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks

I think a little dynamat and a Car Play deck is in my near future.

NickD
02-07-2019, 07:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions folks

I think a little dynamat and a Car Play deck is in my near future.

Look up Noico on amazon, I have some waiting to go in both cars and I believe Lisa used the same in her fox

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

maxwell6
02-10-2019, 04:31 PM
The stuff I used is Stinger roadkill good quality and price. Check Amazon.

Uncle Buck
02-23-2019, 03:51 PM
Hi all

Thought I'd update this thread on what I ultimately did. The plan was not to break the bank and to keep mods to a minimum.

I installed

Rockford Fosgate P152-S components speakers in the front doors

Rockford Fosgate P1683 3 way speakers in the rear deck

Pioneer shallow mount 8" subs in the OEM door location

Call me crazy but decided I didn't want a touch screen so bought a higher end regular receiver
JVC KW-R935BTS

I retained the factory amps for the subs and I'm driving the speakers with the head unit. New amps might be down the road but for now wow, it sounds so much better and it looks OEM once the head unit colours were dialled in to match my dash.

maxwell6
02-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Good job Uncle Buck nice choice on the speakers and deck. Enjoy your new sound system.

Scrape
02-24-2019, 09:10 AM
Nice work Al.

Slick_89_Hatch
02-26-2019, 09:11 AM
How do you like those Fosgate components?

Uncle Buck
02-26-2019, 02:08 PM
I didn't like them with the OEM head unit. They were too "bright" and the stock HU didn't have enough adjustment to tame them well. With the aftermarket HU, they sound very good once properly dialled in.