PDA

View Full Version : Update your 10-16 Ford coming

ZR
01-30-2017, 09:27 AM
Ford Motor Co. will offer a plug-in device to add new technology to older vehicles.
The device, Ford SmartLink, will plug in to a vehicle's OBD-II port below the steering wheel, and enable 2010-16 model Ford and Lincoln vehicles to download the latest Ford Motor technology. That means thousands of Ford and Lincoln owners will be able to remotely lock, unlock and start their cars with their smartphones; use a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hot spot; get health and security alerts; and receive vehicle location assistance.
Ford declined to reveal pricing information for SmartLink, which will be available this summer.
"Ford SmartLink will surprise and delight owners of recent model-year vehicles by adding some of today's most popular connectivity features" Stephen Odell, executive vice president of global marketing, sales and service, said in a statement. "Offering it through our dealerships is another way to keep us connected with our customers and earn their loyalty."
Ford announced this year that it would begin rolling out 4G LTE Wi-Fi on its 2017 vehicles. And it began rolling out smartphone start, lock and unlock access through its FordPass app over the past year.

RedSN
01-30-2017, 09:58 AM
owners will be able to remotely lock, unlock and start their cars with their smartphones
damn! I locked my phone in the car :mad:

ZR
01-30-2017, 09:59 AM
In your case, check off optional mini pocket hammer.

Biz
01-30-2017, 10:35 AM
Been using the Ford Pass app since I got the RS.
So far its been useless.
I just added Carplay as well. I needed a new hub as I'm an iPhone user and apple didn't have it ready when sync 3 was released.
I have to say so far its not great. A lot of the features they promise (some posted above) are not available yet. Also you need your phone plugged in via the usb port. Its not avail over wifi (at least not yet).

I'm all for Ford doing this but I feel they are late to the dance. Lots of other manufacturers already have this technology up and running.

I did get a cool load up screen though :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50UVuYl-6qw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50UVuYl-6qw

StAnger
01-31-2017, 07:57 AM
Great idea. Expose your car to hackers.

ZR
01-31-2017, 08:00 AM
Does look cool Biz.

ZR
01-31-2017, 08:00 AM
Great idea. Expose your car to hackers.