PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle is destroyed but all ok

Intmdtr
01-30-2017, 06:01 PM
Hey all, my wife was in a bad wreck this weekend while on her way home from Barrie. A guy ran a stop sign and my wife t boned him at 80km/h or so....

Our van (yet to be determined) is a complete right off, as there is nothing much left forward of the windshield. Her brother, his 5yr old and her were in the van, she was driving, all walked away with lots of bumps bruises and pain....the driver of the other vehicle is in same condition or so we have been told. The other driver has been charged with HTA 130.....? Google says DUI,DWI and or careless driving. No other details as of yet.

Neither of us have ever been involved in such a wreck and are looking for any advice in proceeding forward on this....
Already spoken with insurance company, waiting on insurance adjuster to call me...

Do we need a lawyer/Accident litigator?

Uncle Buck
01-30-2017, 06:05 PM
Wow, glad everyone walked away. Life can change in a blink of an eye.

Biz
01-30-2017, 06:16 PM
Glad everyone is ok. No harm in getting some legal advice. I know I would if I wasn't at fault.

ZR
01-30-2017, 06:24 PM
Good to hear everyone walked away ok.

Old Fart
01-30-2017, 06:24 PM
^^ditto. I would be getting legal advice as well...especially for long-term injuries that might not be apparent yet.

Slick_89_Hatch
01-30-2017, 07:31 PM
Glad to hear everyone walked away and overall is ok.

Stephen06GT
01-30-2017, 07:36 PM
Glad everyone is okay, and yes, get some legal counselling.

92redragtop
01-30-2017, 07:49 PM
As others have said, seek legal counsel. Good to hear there were only minor injuries but other issues not readily apparent could arise later.

RedSN
01-30-2017, 08:39 PM
Ouch! 80k is a HARD hit. Glad everyone is alive.
Yeah, I would get the ball rolling on a lawyer. Who knows what injuries might surface.

Intmdtr
01-30-2017, 08:58 PM
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/mm301/intmdtr1/IMG_0341_zpswyv1stou.png (http://s299.photobucket.com/user/intmdtr1/media/IMG_0341_zpswyv1stou.png.html)

That's the truck she hit on its side behind her. Guess it flipped over twice before coming to a rest on its side

shakin
01-30-2017, 09:01 PM
Good to know things were not more serious. Best wishes for full recoveries
Get a personal injury lawyer for all your family.
HTA130:
Careless driving
130. Every person is guilty of the offence of driving carelessly who drives a vehicle or street car on a highway without due care and attention or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway and on conviction is liable to a fine of not less than $400 and not more than $2,000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than six months, or to both, and in addition his or her licence or permit may be suspended for a period of not more than two years. 2009, c. 5, s. 41.

Darkhorse
01-30-2017, 10:09 PM
Glad your family is OK.

Not4you
01-30-2017, 10:33 PM
Wow, what a hard hit. Glad everyone is ok!

Drtoronto
01-30-2017, 10:43 PM
Glad your all ok that's a big hit

What I can say is stay away from firms like diamond and diamond as they don't do anything but refer you to other lawyers so now your paying 2 firms.
Make sure that whomever you deal with lawyer wise is actually the firm representing you and not trying to split the pie.
Lawyers are a tricky bunch

The Newmare
01-31-2017, 08:33 AM
WOW....glad to hear everyone's ok.

WTF
01-31-2017, 08:38 AM
damn that was a hard hit

glad to hear everyone is OK

Scrape
01-31-2017, 08:58 AM
Glad to hear that everyone is ok. That looks like a hard hit indeed and definitely get a lawyer. These type of accidents can give you pain years down the road and you may not know why. I should of gotten a lawyer years ago after an accident in 2006 where I was the third person in a head on collision. Now I have weird aches in my neck periodically as well as shoulder and back so I highly suggest a lawyer based on my experience. I can't do shit now but complain to my wife about the pain.

AKAFISH
01-31-2017, 09:21 AM
So glad is everyone is ok that is the most important part.

Laffs
01-31-2017, 10:00 AM
Make sure to see the doc's regularly so everything is documented. After my accident I felt relatively fine hell I said let me drive home. Week later my back was so sore I could do nothing but lay flat on the hardwood. Important to go to the doctors even if you feel ok so it is all documented in case you need to get long term physio/care resulting from the accident.

Ontario is a "no fault" province so generally lawsuits are reserved for situations where there is a serious long term injury. Everything else will be covered under the other drivers statutory accident benefits which is why it's important to see the doctors so they can provide proof to the other insurance co of what is needed. If anyone has to miss work because of injuries make sure to keep record of that as well.

Won't hurt to at least speak to a Lawyer if you know one, but in my experience legal counsel isnt cheap.

Also, glad everyone is all right, looks like a nasty hit. If they total it and offer to little a payment, make sure to counter with comparibles and maintenance records if you have them to try and get a higher payout for the new vehicle.

Styrofoam04
01-31-2017, 10:31 AM
Sorry to hear, I'm glad everyone is alright.

mavrrrick
01-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Wow.....Glad everyone is o.k. Seek legal...Like someone else said....Future health???

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

tulowd
01-31-2017, 05:30 PM
Sorry to hear about this; hopefully the trauma and memories of this aren't going to cause any additional pain and suffering to any of the occupants.
Best be totally all over this, as the insurance company is going to want a sign off to limit their exposure and make things less than easy in terms of getting total coverage for what is NEEDED.

Thank god no one was killed or catastrophically hurt. The wording of the injuries sustained determine the level of $$ coverage, so not signing off and not closing any doors would be very prudent, along with real legal advice/guidance per person. Would be unimaginable if the 5 year old has a lifetime of issues with no coverage after the fact.

IanGTCS
01-31-2017, 09:52 PM
Glad your all ok that's a big hit

What I can say is stay away from firms like diamond and diamond as they don't do anything but refer you to other lawyers so now your paying 2 firms.
Make sure that whomever you deal with lawyer wise is actually the firm representing you and not trying to split the pie.
Lawyers are a tricky bunch

Most personal injury lawyers are bottom of the barrel guys who are only looking to settle quickly, and back off the second there is actual work to do. I'm a manager at a company that plows snow, so we have some experience with these guys. If they advertise they probably aren't going to do much work for you. Also, remember the insurance company will try and get away with paying as little as possible (can't blame them, their job is to pay out as little as possible), so be prepared to argue to get full value. /rant off

Glad everyone is OK, van looks like it did what it was meant to do and kept everyone safe.

RAT ATK
02-01-2017, 10:02 AM
I am going to be the dissenting voice on this one. Having dealt with many post MVA cases over the past 20 yrs,it is my experience that utilizing a lawyer can be its own kind of hell. The entire process becomes long and drawn out and the lawyer usually makes out better than the victim.
The insurance company will treat you pretty well just to avoid lawyers. Don't be afraid to argue your own case. Make sure to get documented visits to various health care professionals, ie. Your primary GP, physio, and wether you like them or not having a chiro in your corner can be highly advantageous. Also getting treatment now will go a long way toward preventing physical repercussions down the road.
Even if you get a lawyer you will need reports from these professionals anyway.
Your adjuster, of course, can make your life easy or hard, luck of the draw it seems.

Good luck either way

83 5.0
02-01-2017, 05:51 PM
Unbelievable everyone walked away! You always wonder how a few seconds either way could change the outcome.