PDA

View Full Version : Line up for picking the money tree bare.

ZR
01-31-2017, 08:19 AM
Bringing this up with my own boss this am, I want a \47% raise, won't take a dime less.

Ontario public college presidents just had their pay increases unfrozen. Now they’re looking at giving themselves massive salary increases — in some cases by well over $100,000, or 50% of their salary. They’ve posted their proposals online and kindly seek the views of us plebes.
Let’s make it succinct and clear: The greed is unspeakable. The audacity is mind-blowing. The proposed raises are grotesque and obscene.
Not surprisingly, in commenting on George Brown College proposing to boost presidential pay from $359,000 to $494,000, Deputy Premier Deb Matthews wants — wait for it — a “conversation.” Matthews said that salaries have been “frozen for some time, and we want to have a rational, reasonable conversation about what compensation should be. We want to obviously attract the best and brightest, but we don’t want to pay any more than we have to pay.”
Instead of yet more vague, wishy-washy “conversations,” the government should send a clear message that it won’t tolerate the obviously gluttonous move of these presidents to make a run at the public trough.
The Ontario Public Service Employees’ Union has reason to be angry.
“For us, the most disturbing (comparison) is Toronto Pearson,” said RM Kennedy, who heads the College Academic Division representing 12,000 faculty. “Toronto Pearson has 40,000 employees — that’s well over twice the largest college.”
Northern College in Timmins, with 1,900 students, used as comparators large institutions like Humber, Seneca and Sheridan, as well as York University and Toronto’s University Health Network. It wants to increase its president’s salary from $259,000 to $325,000. Others compared themselves to Pearson airport, with 40,000 employees, or the LCBO. Universities of all sizes were also thrown into the mix. Talk about grasping at straws.
How could this happen? “Part of the reason the government created this framework was to correct unreasonably high salaries in colleges and universities. The government saw abuse in the system and took action to correct it,” said Allison Buchan-Terrell, a spokesman for the Ministry of Advanced Education.
In other words, the situation got worse because the government tried to fix it. Matthews should get back to the drawing board, and fast, before we get taken to the cleaners.
If this process isn’t halted, some college administrators will end up making more than university presidents. Then guess what will happen? University presidents will, in turn, ask for giant increases because, quite frankly, it’s hard to justify, for example, having the University of Ottawa president’s pay fall below what the Algonquin College president gets paid.
The Algonquin president could be looking at a 40% raise, of up to $124,000, to $445,000 at a time when colleges are protesting the lack of provincial government resources. It originally had proposed $494,000, but lowered the amount after getting some feedback.
Algonquin originally compared itself to four universities: Guelph, York, Waterloo and SAIT — the Southern Alberta Institute of Technology in Calgary; four health-care facilities: William Osler Health System in Brampton, The Ottawa Hospital, Hamilton Health Science Centre, and Baycrest Health Sciences in Toronto; and four other “broader public sector” organizations: the LCBO, MaRS innovation centre in Toronto, Pearson airport, and BEHP — a proposed merged utility company in Brampton and Etobicoke.
Algonquin decided to drop the last four comparators after receiving criticism and replaced them with four colleges: Conestoga, Seneca, Humber and Sheridan. It’s unbelievable that Algonquin had the gall to even go there in the first place. Algonquin college (http://www.algonquincollege.com/bog/files/2017/01/AC_Executive-Compensation-Program-for-Public-Consultation_revised-jan-2017-v.-2.pdf) teaches trades and the like. Think Advanced Word Processing, Air Conditioning and Heat Pump Inspection, Cake Decorating Flowers and Cake Design, not lawyering and brain surgery.
We have until Feb. 1 to provide our input to the colleges on how much or little we’ll allow college presidents to gorge themselves courtesy of taxpayers. I’ve done my part, now you have a couple of days to do yours. Spare them a conversation. Let them know how you really feel.

ZR
01-31-2017, 08:21 AM
Check out the highlighted line. Ya, thats what caught my eye after hearing yesterday about Colleges looking for additional govt funding dollars.

Scrape
01-31-2017, 09:02 AM
Man our system needs to be revamped. I wish I can get a 40% raise.

ZR
01-31-2017, 09:07 AM
Your not kidding.

mavrrrick
01-31-2017, 09:23 AM
Let them all go.....Lots of new graduates would work for less!!!;

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

RedSN
01-31-2017, 10:13 AM
Bringing this up with my own boss this am, I want a \47% raise, won't take a dime less.

Let them all go.....Lots of new graduates would work for less!!!
^^^Agreed, let them go.
Ross ....shop is all yours.

92redragtop
01-31-2017, 10:55 AM
^^^Agreed, let them go.
Ross ....shop is all yours.

LOL

mavrrrick
01-31-2017, 12:03 PM
Should I be expecting a black eye soon? Lol

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

Armen
01-31-2017, 01:25 PM
Nice. I got a 4.4% raise this year. First one in 4 years. The rate of inflation over the same period was about 1% higher than that raise, lol. SAAAAWEEEEEEET!

5.4MarkVIII
01-31-2017, 03:40 PM
I don't get the math. How long were they on a wage freeze for?
Isn't inflation suppose to be like 1.5% per year? (Of course I have never had a job in my life that I got yearly raises let alone raises equal to 1.5%)
But if it's 1.5% per year a 40% wage increase would mean they have been on a wage freeze for what 26 years?

Hutch
01-31-2017, 08:46 PM
This is crazy. Where did you get this from Rick? I know the college professors don't make that kind of money. You can make more staying in the trade (if it's a trades college)

ZR
01-31-2017, 09:05 PM
Just the Ontario public college presidents.

Hutch
01-31-2017, 09:59 PM
Just the Ontario public college presidents.

edit. Found lots of articles. Not impressed.

StAnger
01-31-2017, 11:10 PM
I'd be happy with having just dental and prescription benefits. If I want more money, I'll just work two jobs... Oh wait, I already do. lol

ZR
01-31-2017, 11:25 PM
edit. Found lots of articles. Not impressed.

Left hand out asking for money all the while grabbing it for themselves with the other.

83 5.0
02-01-2017, 10:32 AM
Sometime in the future the money tree will be bare, they are trying to strip some leaves before they are all gone.
Given the shortage of cash for all levels of education, these are showing no restraint. Would have been cheaper to just give them fractional increases every year. When the government crows about having frozen some employees pay, better prepare to get hooped down the road.

RedSN
02-01-2017, 10:48 AM
In cases like this, I always like to compare salaries to surgeons. If you are making more than a surgeon, you better be saving fucking lives!

83 5.0
02-01-2017, 05:40 PM
Got some more picking http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/ontario-power-generation-executive-salaries-1.3961223
Metro linx exec to get $118 k raise, what after UP express f up.
Don is right, if you aren't saving lives...

Harbinger
02-04-2017, 12:38 AM
Lmao. And the rest of us suffer with high taxes and low pay and shitty raises. I should become a ceo

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

RedSN
02-04-2017, 10:25 AM
^^^not everybody is smart enough to be a CEO. You have to be really really smart.

When you really stop and think of it, most of the people sitting on the GO train probably don't have high-level nuclear qualifications or the business qualifications to run a multi-billion-dollar corporation. The talent is exceptional to be in those exceptional positions.
She was commenting on Thursday about raises for execs at OPG and Metrolinx.

Harbinger
02-04-2017, 11:11 AM
^^^not everybody is smart enough to be a CEO. You have to be really really smart.

Or connections. I do hope you're joking

83 5.0
02-04-2017, 04:43 PM
Really, really Smart (and connected) like Liz Sandals...
She sounded like she had a little too much cough syrup when making that statement.

G-ForceJunkie
02-04-2017, 06:07 PM

She's getting a lot of flack for that. I understand it doesn't sound nice to say, but it's absolutely correct.

RedSN
02-04-2017, 07:46 PM
I am not doubting you need a special set of skills to lead a giant corporation successfully. It's just a really hard pill to swallow (and polically unpopular) to raise the salary of the CEO who is already earning $1,500,000 when people are struggling to pay their Hydro bill. But then to essentially call GO riders dumber than CEOs, ....well that's just an extra special slap in the face.

G-ForceJunkie
02-04-2017, 09:07 PM
^ 100% agree.

HyperGT
02-05-2017, 06:49 PM
In cases like this, I always like to compare salaries to surgeons. If you are making more than a surgeon, you better be saving fucking lives!

or making other people alot more money ;)