PDA

View Full Version : Who here has aquariums?

Speedtospare
02-01-2017, 08:06 PM
My son bough two Red Oscars last summer. I was against it as we have enough pets already. Mother over ruled and I reluctantly agreed if they research the fish and do all the work; ie I'm not the one cleaning them. So they bought 2 Red Oscars and a 10 gallon tank. The fish are a about 6-7" now and way to big for the tank and are looking sluggish. So I started researching on the fish this week. Water changes have to happen to frequently killing needed bacteria in the tank. A single red oscar requires a 55 gallon tank, two require a 100+ gallon tank. I spent the last two day scouring Kijiji and founf a 140 Gallon tank with stand for free. The tank is 6 feet long, 2 feet tall, and almost 20" deep, and freaking heavy. The problem was it leaked. I spent 5 hours yesterday stripping, cleaning, and calking the. I wire wheeled the stand because of some rusties and my 10 year old son painted it engine enamel gloss black. A few days later a friend Tim showed up to help my carry the car down to the basement. I went to the local TSC store and picked up sand blasting sand (cheap trick from the online guys) for substrate. The tank full or water and sand will weigh in around 1200 lbs so delrin strips were placed under the feet of the stand to protect my floors. My new UV canister should be here this week and I am trying to find another 30-40 gallon tank to make a refugium for additional filtering and extending maintenance times. I'm going to start the nitrogen cycle and get some good bacteria growing without fish when the canister system arrives. Hopefully I can have it ready for the Oscars in a week or two.

Here's me picking up the tank

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/mustangmerrill/Mobile%20Uploads/20170130_163525_zps3jtwnvci.jpg

Why yes that is a aluminum 4V block under the stand....hmmm whats that for?

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/mustangmerrill/Mobile%20Uploads/20170130_163513_zpsk6gakbp3.jpg

A little hot rod black paint

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/mustangmerrill/Mobile%20Uploads/20170130_201730_zpsszelkny2.jpg

After lugging this into my basement all I can say is that I will be tearing it down to move it. Glass is at least 3/8 thick and the tank alone weighs over 200 lbs.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j33/mustangmerrill/Mobile%20Uploads/20170201_160922_zpspb8ocu1u.jpg

RedSN
02-01-2017, 08:40 PM
http://www.torontomustangclub.ca/forums/showthread.php?6448-My-Aquarium-(the-other-of-many-hobbies)&highlight=Aquarium

5.4MarkVIII
02-01-2017, 09:22 PM
Very nice but a new tank that size will tackle longer than 2 weeks to cycle.
Could be a month or two. But I have heard people say up to 6 months for that big of tank.

You can shorten this time. If you let it cycle a few weeks using a bio booster. Then when you add the fish also add the water from the old tank and run your existing filter in the new tank with the used filter substrate. This will add already started bio mass and help kick start the new tank. Keep in mind changes like this can be stressfull to fish.

Speedtospare
02-02-2017, 12:41 AM
Very nice but a new tank that size will tackle longer than 2 weeks to cycle.
Could be a month or two. But I have heard people say up to 6 months for that big of tank.

You can shorten this time. If you let it cycle a few weeks using a bio booster. Then when you add the fish also add the water from the old tank and run your existing filter in the new tank with the used filter substrate. This will add already started bio mass and help kick start the new tank. Keep in mind changes like this can be stressfull to fish.

I can get it to start cycling in two weeks with a no fish starup. Fish are moving one way or another, not much choice. Sons tank is a 10 gallon with two red oscars that are trying to grow. If it takes them 6 months to get a 140 Gallon tank in the level to accept fish they need to pay more attention. It can and has been done. My 65 gallon only took a week to start, 2 weeks to become hospitable.
I am hoping this one is easier. I was told PH is easier with sand? First time without normal aquarium rock.

Rino
02-02-2017, 01:46 PM
I have the same tank and some sichlids in it.Ive owned it for over 25 years and not one leak.Make sure it's level,and the stand isn't warped in any way.Thats how leaks happen.I'm thinking of getting rid of it.My pump went and haven't bothered to to get a new one.Just adding water and cleaning it manualy for now.Small fish.Ive owned lots of Oscars,very smart fish,I used to pet mine.They will get very big in that tank,and they are messy fish. Get a "shiteater" you will need it.

Speedtospare
02-02-2017, 11:53 PM
I will look into one. I have over double the filtering capacity than required for the dirty fish

OneQwkStang
02-04-2017, 08:35 PM
So all I take from this thread is, your wife wears the pants, your kids jobs just became yours, and your engine is still not in the car. Am I missing anything?