PDA

View Full Version : Don't do what he did.

ZR
02-08-2017, 08:41 AM
Honesty is the best policy, border officials warn after an Ottawa man paid a steep price for pretending he borrowed from a friend a car that he’d actually just bought in the United States.

It was a costly mistake when his tale began to unravel.

The 45-year-old man was trying to return to Canada after a day of shopping in Ogdensburg, N.Y. on Jan. 15. He declared $300 in goods and claimed a friend had loaned him the American-plated vehicle he was driving.

But on secondary inspection, Canada Border Services Agency officers searched the man’s phone and car and found emails and documents showing he’d bought the car over the Internet and concocted the story to avoid paying duties and taxes. He soon confessed to the scheme.

The car was detained and the man’s card under the NEXUS program, which is designed to speed border crossing for frequent travellers, was taken away.

By failing to declare the vehicle, which officials valued at $12,084, the man was trying to evade $700 in duty and taxes and a $295 fee to the Registrar of Imported Vehicles.

Instead, he had to pay those charges plus a $6,646 penalty before getting the car back.

“The single best thing you can do to save time returning to Canada is to simply be open and honest with the CBSA officer,” said Leanne Sullivan, chief of operations at the Prescott port of entry.

“If you are not sure about what to declare, don’t hesitate to ask a CBSA officer at a port of entry.”

The border agency warned that not declaring or falsely declaring goods means officers can seize them, either permanently or until the traveler pays a penalty of 25 to 80 per cent of their value.

They can also expect closer scrutiny the next time they make a trip across the border, the agency warned.

mavrrrick
02-08-2017, 09:04 AM
Holy S***!!!!

ZR
02-08-2017, 09:13 AM
Your not kidding. All that trouble over a just over 10k car, foolish.

RedSN
02-08-2017, 09:28 AM
I think the moral of the story is come up with a better story. A friend 'loaned' him the car?

Laffs
02-08-2017, 09:50 AM
What the fuck was his end game? With no RIV paperwork was he just gonna continue to drive around on US plates and hope?

ZR
02-08-2017, 09:52 AM
^ Yea thats the part that makes zero sense.

Blackmare
02-08-2017, 10:20 AM
Yeah, didn't think that plan through. :facepalm:

TheMustangShow
02-08-2017, 10:33 AM
He'll never see that Nexus Card again and because the Nexus card is a joint venture between the CBSA and Homeland Security in the USA, that was probably his last trip to the USA, without a Waiver now. It is also illegal under US Law to export a US car without a declaration so he could be charged by the Americans if he ever returns.
Not sure how he will been able to register the car either, without the Export Stamp on the Title, unless he's planning more fraud. What a TARD!

Here's the story http://www.ottawasun.com/2017/02/07/borrowed-car-bluff-at-border-costs-ottawa-man-more-than-6500

Harbinger
02-08-2017, 10:46 AM
While he made a dumb move, I still can't help but feel sorry for him.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Laffs
02-08-2017, 11:10 AM
The only one of these I ever felt sorry for was the guy who brought his Chevelle down to the roadster shop in Illinois and they dinged him fucking 55k for failing to report the work done when he crossed back. Seriously hate the concept of paying taxes on shit you buy outside of the Country, but to pay tax on a fucking service you receive BLOWS ME AWAY.

92redragtop
02-08-2017, 12:18 PM
While he made a dumb move, I still can't help but feel sorry for him.

I don't - break the law in 2 countries and you get what's coming to you. As a NEXUS member and all the additional steps you go through plus the "warnings", he should be well aware of that.

Harbinger
02-08-2017, 12:26 PM
I don't - break the law in 2 countries and you get what's coming to you. As a NEXUS member and all the additional steps you go through plus the "warnings", he should be well aware of that.
I agree with you 100 percent 6 plus k as punishment on top of being black listed made me feel sorry for him regardless.

cf105arrow
02-08-2017, 01:00 PM
Maybe he was going to part the car out.

TheMustangShow
02-08-2017, 01:27 PM
Maybe he was going to part the car out.

You may be right, that would at least lend some justification to trying to import a car that would not be able to be licensed for the road here.

He also would likely yield a larger dividend from the Fraud, with a part out.

92redragtop
02-08-2017, 03:16 PM
I agree with you 100 percent 6 plus k as punishment on top of being black listed made me feel sorry for him regardless.

Actually he got off easy - they tell you up front that there could be seizure and forfeiture so the fact he got the car back means he is only out about $5-$6K versus $12K.

ZR
02-08-2017, 06:04 PM
I've brought a couple up over the years that were never going to see the road, zero hassle at the border, considered same as parts.

Harbinger
02-08-2017, 06:52 PM
Im neutral when it comes to these unnecessary cross border taxes when we canadians over pay taxes as is. Taxed when you buy shit. Taxed on your paycheque taxed at the end of the year. I would never do what he did but I can see why he did try to do it even though it was stupid. Still feel bad for him.