PDA

View Full Version : Painting brake calipers.... whos done it and what did you use??

allicedout
02-09-2017, 03:32 PM
Hey guys thinking about freshening up the brembo's with a splash of colour, looking at a few options. The easiest and cheapest I would think is the Duplicolor or VHT caliper kit, reviews are scattered but in general not the most favored. Online reviews put the G2 Brake Caliper Paint System on top of all others in ease of use and quality of final product. The other option and most expensive would be buying a new set of calipers from XRC Brakes that come powder coated in your choice of custom colours from there website. At a cost of $505 US I can safely put that option to rest..... although we do have a powdercoat line at work that I could utilize...... I'd like to hear what everyone has used, how involved was it and how you like the quality of the product, pictures would be great!

Thanks.

Pic for attention
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/1sykhatch/Mobile%20Uploads/3_zpsjvxegdnu.jpg (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/1sykhatch/media/Mobile%20Uploads/3_zpsjvxegdnu.jpg.html)

Stephen06GT
02-09-2017, 05:05 PM
Every spring when I put the summer shoes back on Ol Paint I would wrap the rotors in tinfoil and spray the calipers with black BBQ paint. Easy-Peasy. :D

RedSN
02-09-2017, 06:20 PM
Previous owner painted the calipers red on my car. They held up great ....until I went to the track. Then the red got backed to a toasty brown.
Then I swapped out to red powder coated cobra brakes. They have held up perfect.

In my opinion, the rattle can paints do okay for street use. I would not recommend them if the calipers are ever going to see track use.

Scrape
02-09-2017, 06:24 PM
What RedSN said...Powder coating is best. You need to strip the caliper down and get new seals afterwards but it will be like new once done.

Uncle Buck
02-09-2017, 06:38 PM
I used VHT rattle can, but brushed it on. It flattened extremely well with no visible brush marks. I touch it up every couple years. Surprisingly, they have not discoloured at track days. Maybe I'm not going fast enough.....🤔

ZR
02-09-2017, 06:45 PM
Turned my silver powder coated Brembo's gold from track day heat.

Uncle Buck
02-09-2017, 06:53 PM
They look good gold

NickD
02-09-2017, 07:24 PM
I picked up a set of takeoff brembos and want to powder coat them white, the powder coat place I used for my valve covers sucked, do you know of anywhere I can send them that will disassemble powder coat and re assemble with new seals etc?

Clutt gt
02-09-2017, 08:52 PM
I painted my stock GT calipers with duplicolour brush on.
Cleaned them thoroughly first.
Mind you the brakes were very clean to begin with.
Also it held up well for three years but was due for a re coat.
Note three years was only 10 to 15k of street driving.
So I may not be the best test subject.

Uncle Buck
02-09-2017, 10:16 PM
I picked up a set of takeoff brembos and want to powder coat them white, the powder coat place I used for my valve covers sucked, do you know of anywhere I can send them that will disassemble powder coat and re assemble with new seals etc?

Kudos for being different, but can't believe white will hold up.

allicedout
02-10-2017, 08:39 AM
Thanks for all the input. The G2 similar to Duplicolor is a brush on application that results in a solid smooth finish. I'm going to ask the paint line manager at my place what he thinks about powder coating them for me..... We just installed a new $800,000 wash system....... maybe he needs some test parts to run through!

Slick_89_Hatch
02-10-2017, 08:47 AM
I used VHT rattle can, but brushed it on. It flattened extremely well with no visible brush marks. I touch it up every couple years. Surprisingly, they have not discoloured at track days. Maybe I'm not going fast enough.....🤔

Uncle Buck, my new to me 06Gt is the same colour! Seeing that pic gives me mod ideas lol.

Uncle Buck
02-10-2017, 09:06 AM
^^ Best mod so far

1BAD92LX
02-10-2017, 10:35 AM

http://www.johnstuartpowerbrake.com/Disc-Brake-Calipers.page

I've had calipers rebuilt here, good prices and fast turn around. I assume they powder coat.

Laffs
02-10-2017, 10:59 AM
I painted mine with the G2 brush on, 7 years later and after turning two sets of rotors blue from heat they are holding up very good, faded/stained a little so plan is change the color and redo this year.

allicedout
02-10-2017, 11:05 AM
Looks like G2 is what I'll be going with. Spoke to the paint line manager, because brake fluid has silicone in it he won't run it through our paint line.

Toxix
02-10-2017, 11:06 AM
Aside from powder coating, G2 Caliper Paint is the way to go for sure.
I've tried the spray on, Duplicolor paint on and it just didn't stick; It had to be refreshed every year or two. According to feedback and reviews, G2 has some insane durability and won't require touchups and what not as long as you apply it per the instructions.

Laffs
02-10-2017, 11:08 AM
Yeah exactly, clean and prep is the major key. I spent probably 6 hours cleaning and preping calipers to do 45min of painting.

R3troGT
02-10-2017, 11:26 AM
The secret is to use a heat gun in between coats, and doing lots of coats.

DaSilva painted my current 2015, but they have not held up at all. Less then six month. When they did my 2014 it held up a lot longer

Scott
02-10-2017, 12:27 PM
Even with meticulous prep Duplicolor only lasted one season on the rear and peeled off. G2 seems to be holding up well. Garage16 is the only location I know of were G2 can be purchased.

allicedout
02-14-2017, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys for the input guys!

HyperGT
02-14-2017, 09:05 PM
duplicolor 2 seasons....only 1000km at best though