PDA

View Full Version : Put that phone down

ZR
02-20-2017, 10:33 PM
Drivers in Toronto are being put on notice — this week police will be conducting a campaign targeting distracted driving.
They've dubbed the initiative — which begins on Monday —"That Text or Call Could End It All."
All police officers in the city will be looking for drivers using hand-held devices to talk, text, type, dial or email.

The better way to target texting drivers: York Region police ride the bus (http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/distracted-driving-police-tickets-york-region-1.3907419)

"Distracted driving is any action that a driver engages in that takes their focus away from the safe operation of their vehicle," police said in a weekend news release.
"Distracted drivers are a safety risk to themselves and other road-users.

TheMustangShow
02-21-2017, 01:20 AM
KathleenKunt™ must've sent an email to her Police requesting more $$ for the 3rd Bathrooms.

Just another nefarious tax from the Liberal Regime.

NickD
02-21-2017, 09:30 AM
Saw on breakfast television that downtown they are our driving around in a hearse, that's kinda creepy in my mind, I agree distracted driving is an issue but I'm just as likely to get caught by an officer standing on the corner vs some of these tactics

Old Fart
02-21-2017, 11:09 AM
Regardless of why the police decided to make an enforcement blitz and what vehicles they will be using, IMO should have been done a long time ago.

Harbinger
02-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Does this include touching the knob on my head unit?

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Mrods
02-21-2017, 10:48 PM
Glad they are doing this after being rear ended twice in a few months last summer by texting assholes. Given its the number one cause of vehicular death its a good area to focus on. Actually it caused twice as many deaths in Ontario in 2016 vs impaired. It won't take long for the penalties to catch up to impaired driving.

TheMustangShow
02-22-2017, 01:08 AM
Does this include touching the knob on my head unit?

^^
Soon.

...and it's amazing how Police/EMS can use Laptops and Phones and drive, but no one else can.
Is it because they are immune to distraction?

Distracted driving was always in the HTC and is an offense that falls under Careless Driving.

The Highway Traffic Act defines Careless Driving as;
“Every person is guilty of the offence of careless driving and driving carelessly who drives a vehicle on a highway without due care and attention, or without reasonable consideration for other persons using the highway.."

Why was there a new charge developed? http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/safety/bill-31.shtml
It was because it allows the ticket to be paid, as opposed to a mandatory court date, trial and a later fine assessment (upon conviction), like Careless Driving.

If the Radical Left Wing Provincial GOV, was really interested in eradicating it, they would not have created the new charge and fine, they would instruct Police to continue to charge people who are driving distracted with Careless Driving and have the Courts levy heavy fines and suspend licenses.
This is more about Gov revenue than it is about Safety.

Harbinger
02-22-2017, 01:51 AM
Lmao Read the

"Changes directed at fully- licenced drivers (G, M)

Higher set fine of $490 (includes victim fine surcharge and court fees); drivers who receive a summons or who contest their ticket by going to court may face a fine of up to $1,000.
Three (3) demerit points, upon conviction."

Scrape
02-22-2017, 08:27 AM
Now if only the police go catch these idiots for not turning on their headlights at night or having their highbeams on in the city!

ZR
02-22-2017, 08:30 AM
Now if only the police go catch these idiots for not turning on their headlights at night or having their highbeams on in the city!

Happens so often now you get the idea no one has any interest in dealing with it.

5.4MarkVIII
02-22-2017, 08:32 AM

That's the best part if they want revenue all they need to do is start enforcing some other laws. Failing to yield, running red lights and stop signs, failing to signal, tailgating. The list goes on.

I mean I don't live in the city but some local towns I can see one or two charges every time I drive from one end of town to the next. When I go to London you have one or two people run the red light making a left every single light cycle.

No police in sight. They are always hiding somewhere with a radar gun. Or apparently hiding trying to spot people on phones.

RedSN
02-22-2017, 09:32 AM
....one or two people run the red light making a left every single light cycle.

I confronted someone at work about that a few years ago. Intersection right by my office, my light turns green but I had to wait as a steady stream of 7 cars continued to make a left on the red. One of the cars I recognized as my coworker. In the coffee room I ask him:
"Why did you run that red light?"
*he looked horrified*
"What red light?"
"You were five cars back from the intersection when it turned red and you continued to make a left anyway."
"Yeah, but I was making a left."
"THROUGH A RED LIGHT!"

....the debate continued for several minutes. He still doesn't think he was in the wrong.

tulowd
02-22-2017, 09:43 AM
Lmao Read the

"Changes directed at fully- licenced drivers (G, M)

Higher set fine of $490 (includes victim fine surcharge and court fees); drivers who receive a summons or who contest their ticket by going to court may face a fine of up to $1,000.
Three (3) demerit points, upon conviction."

Careless Driving conviction carries much stiffer penalties: 6 pts and way higher fines, not to mention your insurance company's windfall. This is the highest level of non criminal driving infraction.
The new law is idiotic and has nothing to do with safety other than the revenue stream. Look at the wording.
So now dialing my phone is a distraction, which takes less time to do than changing the radio station.

And yes, the LEO's and Ambulance and fire fighters are all trained and exempt from distraction. Right, where is my opportunity to be certified for exemption?

It's all about hoovering in the money, without tying up the courts and with simple conviction possibilities. The reason the cops don't go after many of the other infractions is because they will be difficult at best to secure a conviction, AND they will cost the court's time, officer's overtime etc.

I recently got off on a 30km/hr speeding infraction by pleading out to a $150 parking ticket instead. I told the court I would defend myself vigorously throughtout the proceedings, and this was the settlement signed by the JP.
All about the money going to the coffers instead of burning it by using the court system.

Total bullshit, but public optics and nanny state rules win the day.

RedSN
02-22-2017, 01:14 PM
I recently got off on a 30km/hr speeding infraction by pleading out to a $150 parking ticket instead.
"Your Honour, I couldn't have been speeding, I was parked at the time."

Huh?