PDA

View Full Version : Tow Advice - Seized front Brake shoes 1967 Mustang

mustang sally
02-26-2017, 11:44 PM
Ok so life is what happens when we are busy making other plans.

Short story is my 1967 front brake shoes are seized and the wheels are not turning. Rear wheels are fine.

I need to get the car out of my garage that faces onto a narrow city laneway and then moved about a block to the main street where the car can be loaded onto a flatbed. Flatbed won't fit in the laneway but a tow truck would.

Plan A:
I am thinking to try pulling it out of the garage with a truck to see if the shoes let go and allow the wheels to spin. If the shoes let go, I can push it around the corner to the flatbed.
or: I can use wheel dollies to get it out of the garage and into the laneway.

Plan B:
If the front wheels don't let go and I use the wheel dollies to get the car the few feet into the laneway, I can then get a tow truck to fit into the laneway to tow the car onto the street to the waiting flatbed.

Question: Since the front wheels are seized, can a tow vehicle be used with the rear wheels on the ground for about a block to the flatbed or would I still need to disconnect the drive shaft even for such a short distance?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section and thanks in advance for any experience - feedback.
Old Broad.

ZR
02-27-2017, 07:56 AM
So long as it's just shoes stuck to the drums not master cylinder issue keeping brakes applied, (assume dual master) yes wheels will most likely break free with a tug.
If not, no problem to tow short distance like that with rear wheels on the ground.
You could also jack up n pull both front wheels and use a hammer on the drum to break them free.

mustang sally
02-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Thanks ZR - much appreciated.

I had taken the front right wheel off and pounded a bit on the drum but not knowing what I was doing, I didn't want to damage something lol.

Ok sounds like I have a plan.

Thanks again!

ZR
02-27-2017, 10:42 AM
Your very welcome.