PDA

View Full Version : Drive clean fee coming to an end.

ZR
03-06-2017, 08:01 AM
One of the most controversial fees charged by the Ontario government is gone at the end of the month.
The $30 Drive Clean fee will be waived starting April 1, although motorists will still be required to bring their older vehicles in for testing and pay for any required repairs.
The Ontario Auditor General had previously criticized the fee — likening it to a tax, saying it takes in more money than was needed to cover the cost of administering the program.
Gary Wheeler, a spokesman for the Ontario’s environment ministry, said the test fee was already dropped to $30 from $35 in 2014 to address that complaint.
“At the time, there was an accumulated surplus of $23 million,” Wheeler said in an e-mail. “That number has since been in steady decline. We expect the remaining surplus to be eliminated by June 1, 2017 — 90 days following the elimination of the initial testing fee.”
Once the remaining surplus is drained, the government will reimburse Drive Clean Facilities for test fees, he said.
“This fee elimination will take the costs off of Ontario’s drivers and allow all of us to continue to enjoy the cleaner air benefits brought by the Drive Clean program,” he said.

ZR
03-06-2017, 08:04 AM
Interesting day to can the fees. Will she actually do it or laugh at us all???

http://wpmedia.business.financialpost.com/2016/06/wynne_climate1.png?w=620

ZR
03-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I also find it interesting, will only take three months to deplete whats currently in the collection coffers. OK, so where did the money go this time?

StAnger
03-06-2017, 08:21 AM
I also find it interesting, will only take three months to deplete whats currently in the collection coffers. OK, so where did the money go this time?

If it were Trudeau, I'd say the money went to ISIS. But Wynne is probably transferring money to buy votes, because that's the only way anyone would be dumb enough to vote for that horse faced twat.

ZR
03-06-2017, 08:28 AM
Roger that.

5.4MarkVIII
03-06-2017, 08:33 AM
Same as the hydro reduction.

If the government is subsidizing the fee that means we are still paying it threw tax dollars. Don't get why people can't see that. And I guarantee this is going to be exactly like the tire disposal fee.
The government now subsidized disposal fees on tires. But to pay for that we pay an extra tax when we buy the tires. So we are still,paying disposal fees. But to add to it. A lot of shops now charge a handeling fee as opposed to a disposal fee.

So in reality the governments plan to cut disposal fees on tires ended up costing us taxpayers twice what it used to.

It will be the same with drive clean tests.

WTF
03-06-2017, 08:35 AM
they should have axed the whole fucking thing

OK....so now we have a programme that does nothing but waste your time....and pisses away tax dollars

the last thing this province and it's 350 Billion dollar debt (1 billion each month in interest alone) needs is another programme that simply bleeds fucking money

RedSN
03-06-2017, 08:35 AM
So who pays for the test?
They haven't eliminated drive-clean, they still require vehicles to be tested. So who is paying for the test?

Edit: treed by WTF and MarkVIII. Should scrap drive-clean entirely.

ZR
03-06-2017, 08:41 AM
They know full well, just like other places, drive clean has run it's course n should be eliminated but just like anything else that doesn't work in Ontario...............THEY KEEP PLODDING ALONG PISSING AWAY MILLIONS.

bbriann
03-06-2017, 09:14 AM
I have been lucky that the drive clean government scam has never been introduced to where I live Bruce County and surrounding area and all around. Down in Exeter Ontario one side road if you live you have get vehicles tested and not if you live on other side hyway. ...

RedSN
03-06-2017, 09:31 AM
Well, they have to draw the line somewhere. Sucks tho if you are a mere few feet away from freedom.

I'm curious how this will affect the testing facility I take my vehicles to. All they do is emission tests, they are not a service garage. So is the government going to carry their operating costs? Or are they just going to send them a cheque based on the number of vehicles tested? Or does a facility like this fold because of the change in government policy?

ZR
03-06-2017, 09:33 AM
Was wondering the same Don. If govt pays per vehicle the amount we paid, business as usual.

ZR
04-06-2017, 07:14 AM
Anyone had a freebie test done yet?

Uncle Buck
04-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Planning one shortly. May 4 deadline.

Stephen06GT
04-06-2017, 08:45 AM
Ol Paint's sticker expired March 20. As soon as he comes out of hibernation on April 15 I'll be taking him for an etest.

cf105arrow
04-06-2017, 10:04 PM
Got mine done yesterday. Walked in to Canadian tire and walked out 20 minutes later. No bill and No problems. All information is sent electronically now too. Walked into the licensing office shortly thereafter and they already had the test on file. I didn't have to fill in any paper work either for my sticker. Pretty streamlined.

Ontariomystic
04-07-2017, 03:43 PM
Plate stickers have gone up every year for the several years, that is where they hid the driveclean test for free.

ZR
04-07-2017, 03:48 PM
^ Yes sir they did.

https://img.ifcdn.com/images/188e9ad50c53655027ae225ccc05a896d3da34762c5be6d8b9 18c18b2e3f764f_1.jpg

Jack Raccoon!
04-08-2017, 12:33 PM
So who pays for the test?
They haven't eliminated drive-clean, they still require vehicles to be tested. So who is paying for the test?

Edit: treed by WTF and MarkVIII. Should scrap drive-clean entirely.Did you notice that your sticker is $120 now compared to $78 a year or 2 ago?

Jack Raccoon!
04-08-2017, 12:35 PM
Anyone had a freebie test done yet?In and out at Pennzoil, came home ordered sticker online...

RedSN
04-08-2017, 03:12 PM
Did you notice that your sticker is $120 now compared to $78 a year or 2 ago?
Yes, yes I did. I renewed 2 vehicles for 2 years. It was a big purchase.

NickD
04-08-2017, 03:42 PM
Licence and both stickers due this year, lots of other things that wasted money could go towards

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk