PDA

View Full Version : Does this wheel math seem right to you guys?

stangstevers
03-10-2017, 10:23 AM
http://foxstang.com/wheel-selection-fox-mustang-sn95-axles-spindles/

I had converted one of my annoying rants into something productive (I hope). I checked a few times and it seems ok but would be good to get some different eyes on it before it gets read by too many people...

Thanks

BTW: It was suggested to use 20mm 9.5" wide wheels on my SN95 axle fox... that would make it stick out past the outer fender by a lot. It should be closer to 50mm...

ZR
03-10-2017, 10:29 AM
You simply can not replace a straight edge on the wheel mounting face and a tape measure. Why all wheels are not sold with backspace only specs is beyond me, once you measure your vehicle, impossible to make a mistake.

stangstevers
03-10-2017, 10:31 AM
You simply can not replace a straight edge on the wheel mounting face and a tape measure. Why all wheels are not sold with backspace only specs is beyond me, once you measure your vehicle, impossible to make a mistake.

Still variables with the tires though, but it's a lot easier to use a straight edge to get started. I nerded out and used a template for offsets. Funny I get offset a lot more than backspace. I just wished they used "total width" measurement instead of the tire-bead only...

so you agree with my post Rick?

ZR
03-10-2017, 10:36 AM
Lots of solid info.
Tires, section width from mfg is generally very close.
I prefer backspace, easier to measure for how I think about it.

stangstevers
03-10-2017, 10:38 AM
You do backspace minus whatever else is left in the front of the wheel? (sorry, that was most likely awfully wrong lol) I guess they both end up with the same result at the end of the day.

also, in the future, I'm never doing SN95 axles again for my 5 lugs. I will just suck it up and buy the NRC brackets and ranger axles lol 10" wheel with small offset seems to fit.

Thanks for reading my post Rick, much appreciated coming from a pro like you.

ZR
03-10-2017, 10:41 AM
Exactly how I do it. At one time, wheels were only sold with backspace measurements. Back when I did a bunch of Pro Street / back halving, found it easy to get the wheels to fit exactly how I wanted.

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
03-10-2017, 12:20 PM
20 mm would be OK with stock length axles, no way with SN95 axles. The Cobra R 9" wheels that Ford Racing used to sell specifically for that combo were +35 offset, around 6.4" backspacing. So +40 to +50 on a 9.5" is in the right range, you'll want 6-3/4" to 7" of backspace.

stangstevers
03-10-2017, 02:23 PM
Here's how it sits... pre-alignment lol

http://foxstang.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/18wheels-fox.jpg

Now to rent a fender roller lol

stangstevers
03-10-2017, 02:33 PM
A grey pin stripe and greyed out 5.0 badge would look sweet here... According to the door tag, this car didn't come with a pin stripe tho lol