View Full Version : 401 still closed.

ZR
03-15-2017, 08:24 AM
A stretch of highway 401 just east of Gananoque remains closed in both directions at this hour following a deadly crash involving several vehicles–including transport trucks.
Police confirm the driver of one of those transport trucks has died. The truck the victim was driving was hauling a dangerous chemical that could cause irritation to the nose, throat, respiratory system, and severe eye irritation.
And that prompted a Code Orange response from Kingston General Hospital.
29 people were taken to hospital as a precaution in case they had been exposed to the substance.
13 of the patients were emergency services first responders who underwent decontamination and were held for observation as a precaution…
Some of the patients have been discharged from hospital…
The Code Orange was declared over at 8 last night.

RedSN
03-15-2017, 08:27 AM
Why don't they ever tell you what the "dangerous chemical" was in cases like this?

Laffs
03-15-2017, 08:47 AM
Why don't they ever tell you what the "dangerous chemical" was in cases like this?

Because spelling Fluorosilicic Acid is hard.

RedSN
03-15-2017, 08:57 AM
Fluorosilicic Acid
yikes! that does sound pretty dangerous. I sure wouldn't want to drink something like that!

Laffs
03-15-2017, 08:59 AM
yikes! that does sound pretty dangerous. I sure wouldn't want to drink something like that!

This is A+ stuff. Actually lol'd

92redragtop
03-15-2017, 09:31 AM
I wonder if the company that shipped out the chemical in the storm gets the bill for this? Shutdown and local evacuation.

baddbullitt
03-15-2017, 11:10 AM
Certain chemicals that are dangerous goods and as dangerous as this is should only be transported in bulk during non peek hours.. But that's just MO. There are certain levels that are not allowed on certain roads during certain times but that's specific radioactive materials. The government should be stricter or chemicals like acid...

92redragtop
03-15-2017, 11:15 AM
Certain chemicals that are dangerous goods and as dangerous as this is should only be transported in bulk during non peek hours.. But that's just MO. There are certain levels that are not allowed on certain roads during certain times but that's specific radioactive materials. The government should be stricter or chemicals like acid...

I think they were looking at the decision to send the truck out in dangerous driving conditions.

ZR
03-15-2017, 11:06 PM
A stretch of Highway 401 in eastern Ontario has now reopened more than 30 hours after being shut down for two pileups that left one man dead and also resulted in a hazardous chemical spill.
Ontario Provincial Police said Wednesday night at around 10 p.m. that the highway has now fully reopened between Mallorytown and Reynolds roads near Gananoque.
It had been completely shut down since around 2 p.m. on Tuesday, when the pileups sent 29 people to hospital in Kingston.

Screw
03-16-2017, 07:08 AM
That can be a nasty stretch ...period ...sans chemicals