PDA

View Full Version : Tire Change-Over

RedSN
03-21-2017, 04:54 PM
not for the Mustang, but for the DD.

I took my all-seasons off the stock rims and installed winter tires last fall with the intention of getting new rims over the winter. The plan was to put the all-seasons on the new rims and wear them out before getting new summer tires. But.... the rims are on back-order and may not arrive in time for tire change-over.

So with spring here and the weather getting warmer I have 2 sets of tires with only one set of rims. Can I run the winter tires in the warmer weather until the new rims arrive? Or should I swap the tires, and then swap them again when the new rims arrive?

I think I know the right answer, but I'm looking for opinions. Thanks!

CDNfyrfytr
03-21-2017, 05:00 PM
They'll wear way faster once it gets consistently warm. Probably ok until May or so but I wouldn't want to go much beyond that. Depends how far you have to drive during the warm weather. I left my winters on a car I once had into the summer waiting for summer rims and the grip they had the following winter was far less than the previous one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Parkway Ford Lincoln SVT
03-21-2017, 05:05 PM
They'll be fine unless they're still on there once July comes!

RedSN
03-21-2017, 06:35 PM
...unless global warming comes.

Ponyryd
03-21-2017, 08:08 PM
My snows are way better than my summers, I think I'm gonna run them all year this year. But yea, as stated they'll wear a lot faster in the nice weather, personally I'd run them if the tread is good, unless you drive a lot.

True Blue
03-22-2017, 12:46 AM
The way this weather is going. You'll be fine until mid-late April. Usually by March break I'm riding on my summer wheels, not this year!

fast Ed
03-22-2017, 06:30 AM
Mid-April is a good target date for changeover, just in case we do get one last storm which often happens at the beginning of April.

cheers
Ed

ZR
03-22-2017, 07:29 AM
If your receiving a snow tire discount on your ins, best check date for snows off.

Scrape
03-22-2017, 07:35 AM
My buddy at work and I were talking about this very topic. Mid April was my suggestion as well.

RedSN
03-22-2017, 08:26 AM
If your receiving a snow tire discount on your ins, best check date for snows off.
I'm not worried about switching them too soon, I'm worried about switching them too late.
But good point about the ins. co.

92redragtop
03-22-2017, 12:49 PM
Do they have any idea when the rims will arrive? You're probably ok till end of April/early May if it doesn't get too hot really quickly and stay that way.

Laffs
03-22-2017, 01:04 PM
Ours are going on April 4th.

mavrrrick
03-22-2017, 09:23 PM
From what i've heard, as soon as temps are steady above 7 degrees, get em off.

G-ForceJunkie
03-22-2017, 09:27 PM
Given the cost and potential for wheel damage by doing an extra swap, I wouldn't even consider it unless your wheels won't be here till mid-summer.

RedSN
03-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the replies. I was worried that running the winters too long would decrease their effectiveness for next winter.

Will post pics once new rims arrive :D