View Full Version : Gauges in a boosted car...

Stephen06GT
03-25-2017, 07:42 PM
Looking for your thoughts on gauges for a boosted car. There is one stipulation, you can only have two (2) of them. What are your choices?

ZR
03-25-2017, 07:46 PM
My first choice will always be BOOST GAUGE followed closely by fuel pressure. Cause your a road course guy, I'd sub coolant temp for the fuel pressure, especially given the complete and utter ridiculous way Ford went about "calculating" coolant temp in the S197 vs reading actual.

ZR
03-25-2017, 07:47 PM
Torque program plus old Android phone + wireless adapter and a holder n your all set.

Stephen06GT
03-25-2017, 07:57 PM
Torque program plus old Android phone + wireless adapter and a holder n your all set.

This Is what I was thinking of as well. I was lucky enough to get a new phone for my birthday, so I have my old iPhone to use as the "gauge pod".

Darkhorse
03-25-2017, 10:30 PM
Get a single one Ngauge, so you can datalog the car, have any narrow band readings and get your tuner to dial the car in.

It also mounts to the vent or to the window with a suction cup. Technology has come a long way of late.

Monera3v
03-26-2017, 12:10 AM
Monitor all the sensors!!!

svo1990mustang
03-26-2017, 12:20 AM
Aeroforce type guage plugs into your OBD II port and gives you a bunch of guages in a small package.

But boost, fuel pressure, wideband a/f are always good to have in a boosted car.

Monera3v
03-26-2017, 08:57 AM
Aeroforce type guage plugs into your OBD II port and gives you a bunch of guages in a small package.

But boost, fuel pressure, wideband a/f are always good to have in a boosted car.

Yup A/F help us figure out some bogging issues I was having. Car would go PIG rich, corrected the glitch and no issues anymore =)

Fuel can be monitored with Areoforce, so can S-trim and L-trims
IAT you will want to monitor.

So.... Areoforce and A/F would be my best bet and get an adaptor for your areoforce, so you can read boost off of it.

NickD
03-26-2017, 05:58 PM
I have been wondering the same for my car, I already have a wide band and plan to keep, with a Twin screw or TVS style blower what's the reason for the boost gauge? I can understand in a turbo car where there is the changed of a waste gate not working and going overboost.
I'm thinking of an aero force with a couple add ons for boost and temps should be enough right?
What are the things you would want to monitor simultaneously if you could have more guages?

ZR
03-26-2017, 07:15 PM
To me, A/F gauge is nothing but annoying, makes peeps worry for no good reason besides moves around so much it's distracting to monitor closely. For how I use my car, boost / fuel pressure / volt are what I consider priorities. When your making big boost for extended periods of time, like road course, ambient heat n repeated boost cycles up and down can see vac line blown off. Used tablet + torque to monitor coolant temp gauge to get a better handle on when I should worry.

NickD
03-27-2017, 02:35 AM
To me, A/F gauge is nothing but annoying, makes peeps worry for no good reason besides moves around so much it's distracting to monitor closely. For how I use my car, boost / fuel pressure / volt are what I consider priorities. When your making big boost for extended periods of time, like road course, ambient heat n repeated boost cycles up and down can see vac line blown off. Used tablet + torque to monitor coolant temp gauge to get a better handle on when I should worry.
The a/f I use for tuning (wires in to act for logging)
It's in a roush vent pod to the left of the dash,
I am not sure if the aeroforce allows the same and was considering a separate that allows me to wire into the sct the same. But running only 10lbs or so is it something I want to see all the time?
What's the reason for measuring voltage?
For fuel pressure would you trust an obd signal or would it be better to tap into the fuel trail with a nitrous system adaptor and put a separate sensor there?
For air temps I believe my blower has provisions for a separate sensor is that something to watch outside of a road course scenario (will have 2013 gt500 cooling loop)
My radio can do the same as the andoid phone or an aeroforce so I'm just wondering if it's worth getting separate gauges for the important stuff

RedSN
03-27-2017, 08:54 AM
Another vote for mechanical engine coolant temperature gauge as one of them.

Monera3v
03-27-2017, 09:16 AM
Another vote for mechanical engine coolant temperature gauge as one of them.

Yup!
I don't know how much I trust this CHT / Engine oil = water temperature equation they are using.

I have had water boil over, yet the gauge never went past the center.

Issue was low speed fan circuit had fail at the shroud (Radiator fan resistor shroud), water boiled over in traffic.

allicedout
03-27-2017, 01:47 PM
Boost gauge is entertainment..... after spending the money I did on a blower I want to see it turn "on" and "off". The Ngauge is something a lot of guys are using to monitor and datalog. Personally I have a boost gauge, fuel pressure and an aeroforce to monitor everything else. I've also used the Torque Pro app, its a good tool and can read whatever your car will allow it to. I've now got navigation that also has provisions to run off the OBD II. I'm not going to be hooking it up..... I find gauges not in eye sight are not worth having..... and the last thing I need is my car to tell me this......

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y113/1sykhatch/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20170327-133030_zps57vmfpuh.png (http://s4.photobucket.com/user/1sykhatch/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_20170327-133030_zps57vmfpuh.png.html)