PDA

View Full Version : Cobra Brakes stuff

OldSchool
03-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Sup gang

My car's all have the same brakes, unfortunately my supplier of stop fast goodies has retired and my stock has run dry on replacements

I am trying to source QUALITY Zinc washed slotted/vented rotors and STREET pads for the Typical front and rear Cobra stuff.
For track duty I was running Hawk pads and factory cobra for street.

Any suggestions on manufacturers? Not only does it got to look good but be quality stuff.

Considering Carbotech or G-lock. But they eat cheap rotors for breakfast and stink on the street (damn school bus sound)

Any tips and suggestions are welcome.
Thanks in advance

tulowd
03-29-2017, 10:44 PM
I use Centric/Stoptech one piece slotted zinced rotors at the track and will be putting them on the street setup when my SSBC and RotorPro drilled+slotted wear out. Rock Auto is cheapest and sells them plain, slotted or drilled.
http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/ford,2004,mustang,4.6l+v8+supercharged,1425035,bra ke+&+wheel+hub,rotor,1896

Pads is another thing entirely.
Hawk HP+ are noisy and dusty but seem to work under higher temps. Might be ok for someone with a light, low powered car on greasy tires, but I would burn em up in a session for sure. I use dedicated discs and Hawk DTC60 race pads, maybe going to 70s next; nothing like having real deceleration under full heat and speed/grip.

EBC reds are terrific street pads but don't like my driving style at the track; I really really liked them.

Keep in mind that hi temps/aka race pads eat rotors when cold, no way to avoid that.
Also, Cobra calipers flex and will taper your pads under extreme braking, so the lifespan of the parts is compromised. Go to a Brembo or other 4 piston opposed caliper and your pads and rotors will triple/quadruple their lifespan, and provide WAY better modulation and noticeably increased brake torque, in part from the larger pad surface area.

OldSchool
03-30-2017, 10:47 AM
Cool thanks very much

RedSN
03-30-2017, 11:07 AM
EBC reds are terrific street pads but don't like my driving style at the track
Agreed. And my driving style at the track is vastly different than yours ;)
Even Matt, his EBC Reds turned yellow before they fell off.

Definitely not a great track pad at a brake intensive track like TMP.

TheMustangShow
03-30-2017, 11:11 AM
Agreed. And my driving style at the track is vastly slower than yours ;)

I noticed that too. :)

OldSchool
03-30-2017, 11:29 AM
I guess that is the reason I like the big track at Mosport. 4 events and I am on the same brakes and rotors. shocked me.
The first 2 times out evers tho....hahaha smoked a set of pads, rotors and boiled the fluid after just 1/2 a session

98 Snake
03-30-2017, 03:37 PM
I liked the EBC reds they were good for 2 lapping days after that they were overheated and lost some bite. they would be great street pads.

I also have the Stoptech sport pads, they seem to take the heat better but dust a little bit more.

gonna try the Hawk Street/Race pads this season. They are supposed to be a street friendly version of the DTC30 pads.

ZR
03-30-2017, 05:24 PM
You would not regret taking the plunge n going with CarboTech. I was never once even close to satisfied with Hawk pads in my stock Cobra calipers.

98 Snake
03-30-2017, 07:35 PM
I would like to try the Carbotechs but I can get the Hawk through work at a much more reasonable price.

ZR
03-30-2017, 08:47 PM
I hear you, full set of track pads from CT were almost $800. Satisfied enough with them I'll also be switching to them for my street set up.

OldSchool
03-31-2017, 11:21 AM
I know you aren't running stock cobra stuff, but what rotors are you running with those pads? (Brembo ford stuff?)

ZR
03-31-2017, 11:45 AM
Neither, best results out of a plain quality replacement from my jobber.

hsousa88
03-31-2017, 02:30 PM
I hear you, full set of track pads from CT were almost $800. Satisfied enough with them I'll also be switching to them for my street set up.

$800?! faaaaawk.

ZR
03-31-2017, 02:34 PM
Actually worked out cheaper to spend all the money vs continuing with cheaper set ups that lasted one maybe two track days. CarboTech stuff goes two full seasons as do the plain rotors.

OldSchool
03-31-2017, 03:22 PM
Less time working on the car, more time enjoying it, .... or just waste the time on other areas LOL.

Mustang4
03-31-2017, 09:17 PM
This company makes really good rotors, excellent finishes.
Delivery is quick. I have a set of zinc silver plated, slotted, drilled rotors with my Cobra brakes.

http://www.rotorpros.net/