PDA

View Full Version : Fox vs Edge Mustangs

Mustang4
03-31-2017, 09:27 PM
I've driven a few foxes from 83, 84 and a pair of 91's but never any of the newer 99-04 Edge mustangs.
For those of you who have owned and driven both, how do feel they compare for ride, handling, gas mileage,ease of modding etc...?

Wonder how a Mach 1 with a Maximum Motorsports Suspension on it would compare with a Fox with a MM Road and Track suspension for handling?

TheMustangShow
03-31-2017, 09:44 PM
Same thing.

Mustang4
03-31-2017, 09:48 PM
Same thing.

Do you mean there is no difference between them?

ZR
03-31-2017, 10:02 PM
Suspension, mod for mod, both are equally capable but there is absolutely no comparison in their levels of sophistication n comfort doing it.

Mustang4
03-31-2017, 10:44 PM
I keep thinking of picking up a Mach 1. Either as a partner for the Fox or instead of.

tulowd
04-01-2017, 06:20 AM
The Fox4 has a 1.5" longer wheelbase and track width, much more sophisticated (yet hideous)interior and is more refined and quiet - when Ford developed this car, a lot of time went into NVH, including softening the suspension appreciably. Still has the ridiculous quadrabind rear suspension, but they did improve the front end, so there is actually some caster present, so it is much more stable and settled down. Aero is better too, but still not ideal.

I've driven modded Foxes for over 30 yrs and had 3 brand new SN95 GTs in 1995 - they rode like a Caddy by comparison, but felt unsporty and lost their raw edge compared to a Fox.

If it was my money, a 1994 or 1995 GT or better yet, a Cobra, to retain the pushrod motor and some semblance of power potential - the 4.6 is anemic, even with the 4 valve heads unless it's built or has a blower......... enter the 03 or 04 Terminator

IRS was introduced in 1999, but they were not exactly revolutionary. Even the 03/04 need a bunch of love in the form of a large check for Full Tilt Boogie bushing kit and labor.

ZR
04-01-2017, 07:56 AM
^ You do know a Mach with long tubes n CAI only will dyno around 315-320 at the rear wheels and about the same for torque? OR if you want real jam, only requires a blower swap to jump directly to mid 400's with similar torque. Takes a top end kit plus blower to see a 5.0 into the same numbers. With that as a given, which one wins bang for the buck again? To me it comes down to which engine floats your boat, two totally different ways to make the same kinda jam.
Cost to mod IRS, falls pretty much dead in line with Panhard / Torque arm combo installed in a solid axle car. Cool part about it though (and why your seeing so many swap them into Fox body's), you can have handling along with a killer ride. Make that application a drag car, solid axle just plain makes more sense.
Also having owned n driven a whole bunch of both, respect each for what they are but prefer the New Edge with it's sophisticated raw edge vs raw all the time Fox. Cool part, lots of each out there to satisfy what each of us individually like best.

fast Ed
04-01-2017, 08:51 AM
I tend to think that a Mach I with a few power bolt-ons, a full MM set rolled underneath and a good diff would be an awesome fun track day car.

cheers
Ed

Armen
04-01-2017, 08:56 AM
I tend to think that a Mach I with a few power bolt-ons, a full MM set rolled underneath and a good diff would be an awesome fun track day car.

cheers
Ed

Yup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M6xo6pp8ho

tulowd
04-01-2017, 09:41 AM
^ You do know a Mach with long tubes n CAI only will dyno around 315-320 at the rear wheels and about the same for torque? OR if you want real jam, only requires a blower swap to jump directly to mid 400's with similar torque. Takes a top end kit plus blower to see a 5.0 into the same numbers. With that as a given, which one wins bang for the buck again? To me it comes down to which engine floats your boat, two totally different ways to make the same kinda jam.
Cost to mod IRS, falls pretty much dead in line with Panhard / Torque arm combo installed in a solid axle car. Cool part about it though (and why your seeing so many swap them into Fox body's), you can have handling along with a killer ride. Make that application a drag car, solid axle just plain makes more sense.
Also having owned n driven a whole bunch of both, respect each for what they are but prefer the New Edge with it's sophisticated raw edge vs raw all the time Fox. Cool part, lots of each out there to satisfy what each of us individually like best.

The Fox weighs appreciably less and you can do similar power level for less dough than the difference in the base costs and install labour on a Mach. Blower on a Fox is cheaper too and the car will be faster. Way more choices out there, especially in the used department.

But, the ride and experience is something only the OP can really determine what he prefers. Obviously owning a Fox already means he will likely get an SN95 of some kind. Hopefully he will leave the mufflers on it. :)

True Blue
04-01-2017, 11:09 AM
New Edge= More refined vehicle overall with a bit of raw characteristics.
Fox Body= RAW all the time! Like Rick said.

Having to choose between the two, hands down New Edge!

ZR
04-01-2017, 11:51 AM
Stock wts are not as far off as I expected. (yes a stripper 5.0 coupe weighed even less).
1990 GT Vert.............3329
1990 GT Coupe..........3200
1995 GT coupe..........3280
04 Mach...................3465

Given how badly Ford neutered power in the 94/95 5.0, lil wonder they paled in comparison to the '93 older Fox body. It was however a huge step forward in handling, braking and overall comfort. Fast forward to the 03/04 Mach, yup gained even more wt but let's not forget it's got 17" wheels, real brakes on all four corners and makes a ton more power vs a stock Fox.

98 Snake
04-01-2017, 12:10 PM
Sn95 hands down a way better car then a fox.
I hated driving my fox.
I will drive my cobra anywhere

Mustang4
04-01-2017, 12:10 PM
I already have an E cam, Edelbrock aluminum heads, GT40 intake, Cobra brakes , 17" wheels and complete MM Road and Track suspension, less the Torque arm, so I've got a pretty good feel for it.
I'd like to think that a 03/04 Mach 1 with the same MM Road and Track Suspension, CAI, better wheel/tire combo would likely handle better, be quicker, and get better mileage and be better all around.

Debating on buying a Mach 1 and then comparing how I like it, and keeping one, or both, lol.

tulowd
04-01-2017, 12:42 PM
Stock wts are not as far off as I expected. (yes a stripper 5.0 coupe weighed even less).
1990 GT Vert.............3329
1990 GT Coupe..........3200
1995 GT coupe..........3280
04 Mach...................3465

Given how badly Ford neutered power in the 94/95 5.0, lil wonder they paled in comparison to the '93 older Fox body. It was however a huge step forward in handling, braking and overall comfort. Fast forward to the 03/04 Mach, yup gained even more wt but let's not forget it's got 17" wheels, real brakes on all four corners and makes a ton more power vs a stock Fox.

Don't forget they started with downgrading the power on the '93, partially with the "new rating system", but you're absolutely right - driving the 90 hatch and jumping into a new 95 GT same options, the newer car felt like a 6 cyl.

Fox
Wheelbase: 100.5"
Track: F 56.6"; R 57.0"
Weights, all with 5 speed and 5.0 V8:
LX Sedan: 3037 lbs
LX Hatch: 3102 lbs
LX Vert: 3238 lbs
GT Hatch: 3191 lbs
GT Vert: 3327 lbs
94 GT: 3380 lbs
94 Vert: 3580 lbs
94 Cobra: 3469 lbs

All from the Ford bible, no fuel or oil; GT models likely with A/C and power windows.

So a LX notch is gonna be app 400 lbs lighter than a Mach. That is an eternity at these weight levels. The Mach does have better brakes and more room for bigger tires, but a Fox Notch with 5 lug conversion already done will be cheaper and faster on the road course due to the huge weight differential.
Compare Brad's stock motored Lx with any of the Mach's. Put the same tires and the same driver on them, and it would be pretty obvious after 2 laps at TMP.
Mosport, same thing, only the reverse; lol

Street manners likely better with the low reving pushrod vs the more powerful but less torquey Dohc that will need a more aggressive gear.

RedSN
04-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Compare Brad's stock motored Lx with any of the Mach's. Put the same tires and the same driver on them, and it would be pretty obvious after 2 laps at TMP.
Mosport, same thing, only the reverse; lol
Brad's car and mine are almost identical setups, Fox vs SN.
I love running with this car. We can trade laps for laps. Brad has a slight advantage being a better driver ;)

I've had both a '90 LX notch, and a '94 GT.
IMO, first mods to a Fox should be brakes and 5-bolt conversion ....essentially making it an SN95.

ZR
04-01-2017, 03:07 PM
How well Brad hustles that car around the track is a testament to just how good a wheel man he truly is, dudes got serious skills. Put him in a Mach with same mods n tires, he'd drive around himself if it was possible to drive two cars at the same time. Ease of driving between the two cars is light years away from one another in spite of both being very capable. Difference would be just that much bigger at a higher speed track like Mosport.
Gonna be a sorry day for the rest of us when he ups da power under the hood.
The DOHC motor, especially a PD blown one, is as docile as your daily driver until such time as you put your foot into it. My 4.6 GT dyno'd 265 / 305tq when it had nothing more than a CAI and a throttle along with U drive pulleys' and no tune. With the M90 it levelled off a hair under 400/400 with stock driveability and still saw stellar fuel mileage. Only thing it and my current Cobra are missing, sweet sweet music of cams at idle;. In the same breath, it also has non of the big cam / stinky idle either.
As for my ride, lots of better choices for a lapping day car but it's what I like.

Stephen06GT
04-01-2017, 04:14 PM
I, like many here have had a fox, an SN95 and now an S197. I wise man was told me, "you can never go back". No question, new edge over the fox.

OldSchool
04-03-2017, 02:55 PM
Okay I must add to this

I have owned or still own several turds in my day.
My opinion

1989 Cobra, At the time I liked it, stock was boring as heck, dude's liked it........ my wife, when she drove it, would always get hit on. Needs mods IMHO
95 Cobra Vert stock(had header back exhaust), ride and interior out shines the fox hands down. Total boulevard Cruiser (gutless) love taking it out to the beach top down, the rumble of the exhaust.
95 Cobra hardtop - everything is mod'd nothing is stock, it is a monster, but hit 6th and set the cruise, AC on, and I would drive it daily (I do LOL)
04 Cobra - Stock, They may be the same breeding but way different then 95s. It is a alot more "stiff" lost the Caddy floaty feel, more power factory much more fun out of the box. My favorite stock ride, but I dislike the Cobra seats the 95's are way more comfy IMHO.

The best cars for the dollar IMHO are 99-01 Cobra or MACH 1. The DOHO engines are a gem, and really are fun to drive.

Slick_89_Hatch
04-03-2017, 03:12 PM
Well my 2 cents.....My Fox, albeit with some work...is much more comfortable and quieter than my 96GT ever was even when it had Bilstiens and Steeda Sport Springs. I find the interior to be not as comfortable in the 96 compared to the GT seats in my Fox as well. However braking and steering feel and much better out of the box on the SN95 and up cars.
I own an 06GT as well....and in stock form, I really don't like it at all.....ride quality is not at all what I was expecting...blah....handles well, brakes OK, power is good though.
I have a slew of mods that hopefully make it ride better and more exciting to drive....right now it's boring as fck. I prefer my 96GT to the 06....but my Fox in its current state is by far my favourite and it brakes well, handles well and is very comfortable. I would never get rid of your Fox for a Mach...maybe in addition to though.

Laffs
04-03-2017, 03:20 PM
Stock for stock, New Edge is much more livable on a daily basis. Once you start to get in to modded stuff the waters get plenty murky plenty fast. A well sorted Fox will run rings around a stock New Edge and vice versa. Similarly modded they will run similar times since the under pinnings are basically the same with changes in where the cars make power.

Best bet is find a club member and ask for some ride alongs. You will find the answer comes down to personal preference. FWIW you couldn't pay me to live with a fox interior on a daily basis, wager you will have a lot on the otherside of the same arguement.

1BAD92LX
04-03-2017, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE=RedSN;185525]Brad's car and mine are almost identical setups, Fox vs SN.
I love running with this car. We can trade laps for laps. Brad has a slight advantage being a better driver ;)

I'm not sure the better driver part is true Don. And thanks for the kind words Rick

1BAD92LX
04-03-2017, 05:04 PM
[QUOTE=Laffs;185743]Stock for stock, New Edge is much more livable on a daily basis. Once you start to get in to modded stuff the waters get plenty murky plenty fast. A well sorted Fox will run rings around a stock New Edge and vice versa. Similarly modded they will run similar times since the under pinnings are basically the same with changes in where the cars make power.

Agree 100% mods can transform the car.

Mustang4
04-03-2017, 07:36 PM
I already have an E cam, Edelbrock aluminum heads, GT40 intake, Cobra brakes , 17" wheels and complete MM Road and Track suspension, less the Torque arm, so I've got a pretty good feel for it.
I'd like to think that a 03/04 Mach 1 with the same MM Road and Track Suspension, CAI, better wheel/tire combo would likely handle better, be quicker, and get better mileage and be better all around.

Debating on buying a Mach 1 and then comparing how I like it, and keeping one, or both, lol.

I think I need to do a few ride alongs in a couple of modded 99-04 Mustangs to decide. I really like the look of the Mach 1 but my Fox also has a complete new interior including SVO style seats. Having one of each in the garage is not out of the question.

RedSN
04-03-2017, 08:47 PM
I'm not sure the better driver part is true Don.
Im not selling myself short, but I'm having a good day when I'm keeping up with you. I find it interesting to see two different looking cars, knowing that underneath their skins they are almost identical.

Suki
04-04-2017, 07:41 PM
I own both... before I did my mod fox build the fox takes me back to when I was 16 years old .... I own 04 termi ...new edge best of both worlds .... my fox has the best of everything old school looks with 03 termi that makes the car a beast
All depends on a persons budjet and how far you wanna take it ...