PDA

View Full Version : Calabogie Track Day Feeler Thread

Uncle Buck
04-08-2017, 08:37 AM
As we sneak up on nice weather, track days come to mind. This thread is to gauge interest in a TMC road trip to Calabogie.

Things to know

It's an awesome track http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com
It's $375 plus hst
You must be cleared before solo driving is allowed (I'll get more detail on this)
New drivers must take an instructor @ another $199 for the day
SA helmets are required
They take tech inspection seriously, tires, brakes, suspension, no leaks etc
Noise restriction, they test your car. http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/track-rules/
It's north of Perth so overnight stay the day before and likely the day of are necessary.

I'm thinking a fall day but open to options. They have 10 days in the 2017 calendar.

I'm happy to quarterback the event in terms of finding a place to stay and coordinating with the track. If we have a good sized group, we'll need to book early.

Please indicate interest level in this thread and preferred dates if any. If high enough, I'll open a new thread in the Events section for actual signup.

ZR
04-08-2017, 08:47 AM
Very interested pending............

-cleared before solo driving details / does that mean instructor for the day?

Rest of it for me is a slam dunk / hell yes I wanna go.
Thanks for taking the lead on this Al.

Mrods
04-08-2017, 08:47 AM
I am interested. Only concern is the 100 dbA limitation. Not sure where I stand as far as dbA? Thanks for working on this. Maybe I will get a dbA meter amd we can pre test?

HyperGT
04-08-2017, 09:28 AM
if i can get a car i would be very interested as well.

RedSN
04-08-2017, 09:41 AM
Tempting, very tempting.

Would this be a weekend thing? Or during the week?

Uncle Buck
04-08-2017, 09:58 AM
Tempting, very tempting.

Would this be a weekend thing? Or during the week?

They have options ranging from Thursday to Sunday. I was thinking a Friday. Drive out after work Thursday evening, run Friday, stay over Friday night for a TMC social and then have the weekend to drive, tow or push the car home depending how Friday went.

http://www.calabogiemotorsports.com/high-performance-driving-experience/

fast Ed
04-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Specifically for this track, my suggestion for most members here would be to take the instructor anyway ... Calabogie is a very difficult track to learn, especially if we would be getting the full 3 mile course. Besides helping with that I'm sure they could help to tune up other aspects of your driving if you've never had any formal in-car coaching.

cheers
Ed

ZR
04-08-2017, 10:01 AM
Point well taken Ed, makes perfect sense. Would fit me if the option was there to perhaps do the morning with instruction then afternoon without kinda deal.

fast Ed
04-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Maybe with enough "intermediate" people for the group, the option of half-day instruction could be inquired about. I agree that it would be ideal for you and several others that have done enough days to not make an ass of yourself out there, but could use some help on this circuit. When I was up there for my only visit so far about 10 years ago, it took me several sessions to get at all comfortable and start picking up some pace. There are so many corners, and two sections of the track that look similar, that make it very challenging but in a very fun way. Some nice elevation changes, a few quick sections, and a really nice flow in the way that corners join together.

98 Snake
04-08-2017, 12:51 PM
I would also be interested

Stephen06GT
04-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Subscribing.

RedSN
04-08-2017, 03:09 PM
Excellent advice Ed.

OldSchool
04-08-2017, 10:02 PM
Count me on the list.

RAT ATK
04-09-2017, 10:02 AM
If I get my car back together by the then, I would be interested.

Quicksilver
04-09-2017, 10:25 AM
I might have an interest. I took a full on open wheel racing course 32 years ago and at one time taught high performance driving. However, I have done only one autocross in the last 15 years. Prior to that I did umpteen autocrosses and rallies. Do I count as experienced or rookie?

Jack Raccoon!
04-09-2017, 10:47 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say experienced since this is the 5th or 6th time you have submitted your resume on various forums...

Quicksilver
04-09-2017, 04:19 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say experienced since this is the 5th or 6th time you have submitted your resume on various forums...
Over 15 years with the two Mustang clubs that's once every 3 years. it allows me to relive past glories. I'm now officially an old man and can no longer do these things as well as I used to.

Uncle Buck
04-15-2017, 12:57 PM
Bumping the thread for those that missed it. Also, I have emailed the track with a few questions and will report back soon.

ZR
04-15-2017, 04:10 PM
Thanks Al.

hammerhead
05-15-2022, 07:56 PM
I tried my hardest to convince the High Commander that we should move there — it ain’t gonna happen tho she wins again and has no idea there’s a track there!

RedSN
05-15-2022, 08:01 PM
Try Shanonville?

hammerhead
05-15-2022, 08:03 PM
Try Shanonville?

Lol had my heart set on Calibogie in the past that had a cool race series and none caged cars where permitted —not sure if that is still a thing since covid

G-ForceJunkie
05-17-2022, 03:29 AM
For what it's worth - I'm pretty sure only an M rated helmet is required. If they require SA, likely a lot of people will need a new lid too.

bluetoy
05-17-2022, 07:20 AM
I've been around there. Just used my regular old cheap gokart helmet. They never even looked at it.