PDA

View Full Version : Ontario car insurance.

ZR
04-14-2017, 11:21 PM
Liberals, need I say more???

The inescapable conclusion of a new Ontario report on auto insurance is that drivers in this province are being bilked for billions of dollars.
And that our mandatory car insurance system is both perilously broken and fundamentally fails to serve victims.
But it is the staggering scale of the swindling, under the nose of a complicit government, that should shock and outrage drivers.
In many ways, it’s on par with the mess the Liberals have made of hydro.
The report, Fair Benefits Fairly Delivered: A Review of the Auto Insurance System in Ontario, was written by former Workplace Safety and Insurance Board CEO David Marshall, who was hired by the government to review auto insurance.
In it, Marshall notes Ontario drivers pay a staggering $10 billion annually in insurance premiums, with an average bill of $1,458 per vehicle.
That’s 24% higher than premiums in Alberta, double what drivers pay in Quebec and almost 55% higher than the Canadian average outside of Ontario, Marshall found.
“Overall, Ontario has one of the lowest levels of auto accidents and fatalities in Canada and the most expensive auto insurance premiums,” he wrote in his report.
And if the government managed to reduce Ontario rates to anything near the Canadian average of $930 “it would save Ontario drivers almost 40% off its current level — about $4 billion a year or some $20 billion over a five-year period,” Marshall wrote.
Despite consistent reductions in automobile accidents, especially serious ones, the cost of claims have consistently risen, thanks to “one of the least effective insurance systems in Canada.”
“It is filled with disputes and inefficiencies, and a very high percentage of premiums are being used to pay experts and lawyers and not going directly to injured persons,” Marshall wrote.
“No one in the system is actively managing medical care for accident victims,” he added. And cash settlements for catastrophically injured persons “are being drained by having to pay legal fees” and fail to meet actual needs.
Small wonder the Liberals quietly released the report this week with no fanfare.
Marshall rightly points out that successive governments have played a role in the current sorry state of Ontario’s auto insurance system.
However, the current government has been in power since 2003!
Credit the Liberals for asking for the report. Expect it now, to be major issue in next year’s election campaign.

CON VERT
04-15-2017, 07:15 AM
Just got my renewal, insurance went down , by $ 100 a year, but if I want the same coverage as last year, it's going to cost me another $144 ! Go figure , what a bunch of BS !

ZR
04-15-2017, 07:22 AM
https://brucegerencser.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/09/bait-and-switch.jpg

CON VERT
04-15-2017, 07:35 AM
It was the liberals way of giving us a reduction in rates ! but they forgot to tell us that your benefits were also reduced , By 50 % !

StAnger
04-15-2017, 07:51 AM
I got my renewal and it's going to cost me $200 more a year for even less coverage.

ZR
04-15-2017, 07:54 AM
It was the liberals way of giving us a reduction in rates ! but they forgot to tell us that your benefits were also reduced , By 50 % !

Benefits being cut, happening almost yearly now with upsell to get you back to the previous years coverage.

Uncle Buck
04-15-2017, 07:55 AM
Mine went up $150 supposedly because I had a minor ticket 2 years ago. First one in 30 years.

ZR
04-15-2017, 07:56 AM
^ Ridiculous. The Liberals own experts report supports we have been getting hooped on ins in Ontario for years. In a Province where ins is mandatory, beyond belief there isn't better checks n balances on rates. We all have insurance because we have to but all of us are afraid to ever be in the position of needing it because of the consequences.

Stephen06GT
04-15-2017, 08:23 AM
I'm not looking forward to the insurance bill next January when Celeste turn 16 and gets her G1. Especially with 3 cars in a 3 driver household.

ZR
04-15-2017, 08:25 AM
Need to move the Mustang over to Hagerty or similar pronto.

Uncle Buck
04-15-2017, 11:25 AM
^ wise to anyway because of new boost.

Stephen06GT
04-15-2017, 01:49 PM
Does anyone have a contact name and number for Haggerty or similar. Thanks.

NickD
04-15-2017, 07:51 PM
My broker and I have been talking about putting the mustang with Haggerty, I want some more information but for him to quote he needs a vehicle value, what would you do in that case for a modified car

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RedSN
04-15-2017, 07:54 PM
You'll need an appraisal

ZR
04-15-2017, 10:56 PM
+ 1 on appraisal.
Got lucky on my own, falls into a unique class where apprasal was not necessary. Agreed value is $40k, can buy more coverage if appraised but unwilling to pay the premium for it.

Uncle Buck
04-15-2017, 11:40 PM
I just did agreed value without an appraisal for $18K. I expect if I went north of 20k they'd want an appraisal but as long as you're in the ballpark they're ok without one.

Uncle Buck
04-15-2017, 11:41 PM
Does anyone have a contact name and number for Haggerty or similar. Thanks.

My first contact was just online through their Canadian website. Their local head office is in Stouffville.

ZR
04-16-2017, 07:13 AM
For me, Hagerty has been totally painless to deal with since my first call.

mavrrrick
04-18-2017, 01:39 PM
http://globalnews.ca/news/3385798/ontarios-auto-insurance-system-one-of-the-least-effective-in-canada-report/

RedSN
04-18-2017, 03:46 PM
While the number of automobile accidents in Ontario – especially very serious ones – have consistently come down, the cost of claims has consistently gone up
Not too surprised by this. Cars have gotten much safer, so fewer serious accidents. At the same time, these 'safer' cars are a writeoff in almost every accident now due to the cost of replacing all the safety systems.

Not sure why this isn't occurring in other provinces.

hsousa88
04-18-2017, 04:20 PM
Not too surprised by this. Cars have gotten much safer, so fewer serious accidents. At the same time, these 'safer' cars are a writeoff in almost every accident now due to the cost of replacing all the safety systems.

Not sure why this isn't occurring in other provinces.

Because we like to get FUCKED in Ontario.

My truck is full coverage and is half the price of my GF's CRV with liability.. go figure.

Insurance reasoning: Hondas get stolen...

ZR
04-18-2017, 04:54 PM
Accident benefits are likely higher on Honda as well.