PDA

View Full Version : c5 vette

HyperGT
04-15-2017, 10:01 AM
Any of you guys have experience with either a c5 or c5Z06 for HPDE days. These seem well priced and may be a better plateform to have fun at the track for decent 17-25k money in stock or near stock form. If i can get over it being a vette ;0

comments?

tulowd
04-15-2017, 10:34 AM
Drove my Brother-in-Laws 01 Zo6 the week he bought it. 385 hp first year edition. Absolutely mesmerizing performance if you can get over the looks and interior.
Fast, instantenous response, settled chassis and tremendous brakes. Other than tires and brake pads, they typically require nothing other than maintenance to be a weapon at the track. Modding one is likely to be expensive on all fronts though.

I can only imagine a (slightly) newer one with more power and the appropriate HPDE mods included. Nothing with a Mustang badge is going to be in the same orbit at the same $$, tires and driver. Heard they are bulletproof, and they are very very fast. On aero alone, a Vette will pick up 10 mph on the long straightaways at Mosport with the same power.

A track acquaintance of mine used to run a modded 08 GT; he has since switched to a C5 Zo6 and absolutely loves it. He does something like 20 track days per year and is really serious about it. I'll pm you his email address. He knows of what he speaks and is a car guy first and foremost; calls it like he sees it.
He is also in tune with a lot of track enthusiasts and can likely connect you with someone looking to sell one.

HyperGT
04-15-2017, 10:46 AM
thanks Paul was looking at 01-04 models -03 up being better.
If you could pm me his contacts that would be great. it is more than i wanted to spend for a more dedicated car but may be worth the extra at the front end.
Kinda like the exterior looks, interior looks like a cavalier.

ZR
04-15-2017, 12:32 PM
Got a customer thats owned 2 ZO6s (both 04's) in those years as well as a verty + a coupe and have drove each of the '04s a fair bit. Stock out of the box, impressive ride n handling. Largest upgrade, shocks, shocks and shocks, yes even on a ZO6. Stepping up to coil overs transforms the car. Braking wise, really good stock, Hawks in place of stock pads are money well spend though.
Biggest thing that happens to them lapping, front wheel bearings. The replacement from GM is good but there are aftermarket versions that stand up even better.

HyperGT
04-15-2017, 12:48 PM
Thanks Rick I read about the bearings.
I am all over the map, wifey said just go get the Porsche turbo but I am not sure I can wrap my mind around spending that kind of money and would prefer to keep it reasonable to keep the fun factor high.
Will keep looking - any other ideas for a track ready lapping day car - not race car- let me know. I will take a look at some of the c5's , wife doesn't like vettes though lol.

ZR
04-15-2017, 01:19 PM
They drive extremely well, worth putting your butt in the seat for a test drive.

hsousa88
04-15-2017, 03:01 PM
Thanks Rick I read about the bearings.
I am all over the map, wifey said just go get the Porsche turbo but I am not sure I can wrap my mind around spending that kind of money and would prefer to keep it reasonable to keep the fun factor high.
Will keep looking - any other ideas for a track ready lapping day car - not race car- let me know. I will take a look at some of the c5's , wife doesn't like vettes though lol.

So, your getting the porsche.... right?

Saw a sweeeeet '85 911 crusing yesterday, what a beautiful machine.

RedSN
04-15-2017, 03:11 PM
Surprised GforceJunkie hasn't chimed in yet.

ZR
04-15-2017, 04:05 PM
Pretty sure he'll chime in, base C6 is an even better lapping day car. Lots of improvements vs previous gen.

Darkhorse
04-15-2017, 04:11 PM
C5's are badazz.

This is just being done as a street beast, but gives you a good idea about them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esr7tVdBEKc

ZR
04-15-2017, 04:11 PM
http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/40536624.jpg

ZO6 dash / interior shot

ZR
04-15-2017, 04:28 PM
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2012/02/1993-Ford-Mustang-SVT-Cobra-dash1.jpg

Fox interior / dash

ZR
04-15-2017, 04:29 PM
http://www.2040-cars.com/_content/cars/images/56/301856/001.jpg

Fairmont interior n dash

IanGTCS
04-15-2017, 06:03 PM
My brother in law had one for a few years, 01 I believe. Fast, handled great, but I felt like the interior was out of a grand am. Actually found it really comfortable on a couple of longer drives we took it on.

RedSN
04-15-2017, 06:28 PM
http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/40536624.jpg

ZO6 dash / interior shot

Not hugely different from the SN95 dash/interior

http://mustangattitude.com/mustang/1998/1998_00051_03.jpg

RedSN
04-15-2017, 06:29 PM
http://st.motortrend.com/uploads/sites/5/2012/02/1993-Ford-Mustang-SVT-Cobra-dash1.jpg

Fox interior / dash
I do not miss that steering wheel one bit. Seriously.

ZR
04-15-2017, 06:30 PM
Likely a good reason I find it so familiar / comfortable.

HyperGT
04-15-2017, 07:03 PM
well just got back from test driving a 08 911 Turbo from pfaff and a 2006 Z06 with 12k km.
porsche was built tank like, i felt one with the car, fit in the seat like a glove, deviated red stiching everywhere and the car moved out hard but was predictable and stable all the time. Inspired confidence and wanted to be pushed harder...."com'n let's go faster"

The z06 was bright yellow and perfect shape. Seats were OK , not great, the car was solid but i felt like i was sitting on it not a part of it. Then the test drive....the car wanted to kill me. Went sideways on a simple get up to speed 2nd gear pull and quit sideways (side to side) on a full power 2-3 shift merging at 100km /h on the highway. While i stayed in control and the car responded poitively to my inputs i could not help but feel it was thinking "see i am going to kill you - aint it fun".
Scalpel and sledgehammer.....$35k+tx difference in price too. Now i am more confused, but having fun shopping.

G-ForceJunkie
04-15-2017, 08:15 PM
I don't have any personal experience with the C5s, but when I running in Time Attack the C5 was more or less the vehicle of choice. Several base C5s as well as a few C5Z's came out on a regular basis. I don't recall any major mechanical failures with them and most of the guys driving them weren't 'corvette fans' at all. They had them because of the value proposition they presented as a track car. If you ask over on the CASC-OR forum you'd like get some responses from guys that consistently track them.

Darkhorse
04-15-2017, 08:32 PM
The z06 was bright yellow and perfect shape. Seats were OK , not great, the car was solid but i felt like i was sitting on it not a part of it. Then the test drive....the car wanted to kill me. Went sideways on a simple get up to speed 2nd gear pull and quit sideways (side to side) on a full power 2-3 shift merging at 100km /h on the highway. While i stayed in control and the car responded poitively to my inputs i could not help but feel it was thinking "see i am going to kill you - aint it fun".
Scalpel and sledgehammer.....$35k+tx difference in price too. Now i am more confused, but having fun shopping.

The Z was a C6 then if it's a 2006, it's the lightest of them all, they steadily get heavier each year and 08 + are the preferred because they have updated steering rack and other upgrades. They all have issues in the heads, 07's also have needle bearing issues and the value drop issue, but nobody does anything under warranty. If you get a C6 Z, you seriously need to also budget to have the heads done, as little as 3800 USD, just to address the heads, but I went H/C/I which ran me almost 13K CAD and I came away with 570RWHP and now have something very worry free. If the car went sideways on you, do you know if you had it in Street mode or track mode? Was the T/C off? Was the stability control off?

There are about 3-4 levels of controls that can keep you straight and generally stock tires yes will kill you especially on cold roads. I've never gone "naked" control wise, the car will bite you and fast. I've done a lot of passes in mine and with a good set of tires, it stays planted. At woodward after the HCI I was not comfortable making pulls until the the next day I put 345 Nitto NT05R's and then the car hooked up nicely. I've not done any road racing in mine, but the sump system is supposed to help, but I've also heard it's had issues. Z is a very strong road course car, but it sounds like your heart is in a Porsche. Get a Turbo and be happy.

HyperGT
04-15-2017, 09:22 PM
thanks Cory was going to PM you and saw this. Not sure i am set on the porker, the value of,the z is enticing. The one i drove was a c6 2006. I was surprised the car bit so hard, i did not change any tc settings, not sure if they default to safe on ingition on or not. It was "fun" but not pleasent to be so surprised, the power and sound is intoxicating and i am still thinking about it - which is a good thing. Is there anyone local that can do the heads, is it a track failure or can happen anywhere? Looks like i need to step up on some research. Your car sounds like an animal, i would stick with stock for the RC, it does not need more power for me, yet.

Ponyryd
04-15-2017, 09:27 PM
Do you want to have fun at the track, or do you want to go fast at the track? I just ask because the most fun I ever had in a car was a 1st gen Miata, very slow but super responsive and very capable on the track, lots of guys call it a chick car, which maybe it is, but there is nothing that compares.
If you're thinking of a Porsche there are plenty of 911s with blown engines that can be had cheap, hate to say it but an LS swap is a great mod for those cars and doesn't throw off the balance too much (with an aluminum one) but is crazy reliable and powerful.
Vette is a great option and not too hard to work on, which is good.

HyperGT
04-15-2017, 09:57 PM
done the n/a M96/m97 blown porsche engine thing already, never would i put a gm motor in a Porsche. Turbos have very different engines.
I hear you on the miata and agree a momentum car is the best starting point. Looking for a keeper that can do hpde days , have fun and look/feel good cruising.
Looks like a valve job on the vette is manditory for piece of mind, not unlike the need to weld coolant lines on the 911 and about the same cost.
thx all.

Ponyryd
04-15-2017, 10:20 PM
Also an often overlooked ride is the Boxter/Cayman, great on the track and much better priced than the mighty 911

HyperGT
04-15-2017, 10:42 PM
yes ^ was looking at this as well
https://pfaffporsche.com/inventory/certified/Porsche+Boxster+Spyder+Woodbridge+Ontario+2011+Car rara+White+928507

ZR
04-15-2017, 10:53 PM
Sure sounds the like Porsche is smack dab in the middle of your wheel house...............get it.

DELZZZ
04-15-2017, 10:59 PM
I went from my blown 94GT h/c/i to my 99 C5. I'm very happy with how balanced the Vette is. As soon as I got the car I lowered it on the stock bolts and enjoyed the car. I don't drive the Vette as hard as I used to drive the Stang but I appreciate how nice the Vette is relatively stock.

tulowd
04-15-2017, 11:59 PM
well just got back from test driving a 08 911 Turbo from pfaff and a 2006 Z06 with 12k km.
porsche was built tank like, i felt one with the car, fit in the seat like a glove, deviated red stiching everywhere and the car moved out hard but was predictable and stable all the time. Inspired confidence and wanted to be pushed harder...."com'n let's go faster"

#1) I bet the tires were old on the Vette - with 12k, maybe the original. Real rubber on any car makes a massive difference, compounded on cars like this.
2) The 911 Turbo will likely cost 2-3 as much in terms of maintenance and upkeep, both for street and road course use. Same goes if something big decides to require replacement.

Pretty tough choice - whats the difference in insurance between the two? That turbo could be considered exotic, no?

HyperGT
04-16-2017, 12:03 AM
i think you are correct Paul. I noted that to the sales person after the drive.
I doubt a huge difference but am looking into it.
Just taking my time right now, not sure which way i will go.

RedSN
04-16-2017, 09:31 AM
Are you trailoring this car? Or driving it to the track? How dedicated a track car is this going to be?

Darkhorse
04-16-2017, 11:33 AM
thanks Cory was going to PM you and saw this. Not sure i am set on the porker, the value of,the z is enticing. The one i drove was a c6 2006. I was surprised the car bit so hard, i did not change any tc settings, not sure if they default to safe on ingition on or not. It was "fun" but not pleasent to be so surprised, the power and sound is intoxicating and i am still thinking about it - which is a good thing. Is there anyone local that can do the heads, is it a track failure or can happen anywhere? Looks like i need to step up on some research. Your car sounds like an animal, i would stick with stock for the RC, it does not need more power for me, yet.

There are only two large Vette shops, Champion Motors in Scarborough which is who I chose, and there is the "other" Da Silva out in Breslau. There are a couple independent guys around, but also since it's an LS, lots of people would be able to just swap heads complete if that's what you're doing. They also did a head cooling mod on mine without me even asking, which made me realize they knew what they were doing.

The tuner there is not bad too, I feel mine is a little thirsty compared to a mustang, but dead reliable, which I'll take all day long over an extra tank of gas.

The motors can drop a valve sitting at idle bro.......I know someone where that happened. Heinz blew his after 75+ passes but it doesn't matter, could have happened anytime. I was shitting my pants for the first two seasons every time I drove or tracked mine until I got it done. Mine never did show any signs of wiggle or wear or any issues, but I am MORE than happy I just paid the money as insurance instead of needing a new motor which would have been 15K by itself.

HyperGT
04-16-2017, 12:08 PM
Are you trailoring this car? Or driving it to the track? How dedicated a track car is this going to be?

i wish. no this will be a driven there and back car, want mint so i can criuse and enjoy all around - but shine at the track with a tire change. Imsuspect eventually more geared to a good time on track, but still completely livable.

Hutch
04-16-2017, 11:27 PM

Did you test drive the one at JP motors? If so I past by you on your test drive. Other than I have no comment other the that interior is the best. The C5's are ugly and cheap looking. Reminds me of the 95 z28 I had

Hutch
04-16-2017, 11:31 PM
Also an often overlooked ride is the Boxter/Cayman, great on the track and much better priced than the mighty 911

Yes, the Caymans kill it at autocross and small tracks

HyperGT
04-17-2017, 07:34 AM
Yes Dan that was me Lol
this was also at pfaff

Laffs
04-17-2017, 11:30 AM
What about a 996TT? I know you had a 996 C4S but as I'm sure you are already aware the 996TT has the Mezger as well and is more direct price wise with the C6Z

HyperGT
04-17-2017, 12:04 PM
Also searching for one. Very few out there.

Laffs
04-17-2017, 12:15 PM
Very true, especially ones with reasonable miles and no questionable mod's/history. There was one on Trader in Nepean that already had remote reservoir Motons on it already and pinned coolant lines so perfect for track for $54k but also had a wrap which scares me.

Suki
04-17-2017, 07:45 PM
wow !

Ponyryd
04-17-2017, 09:10 PM
Yes Dan that was me Lol
this was also at pfaff

^Was that he one in the link? That one would be my choice, much more car than the vette and a lot more rare, the 911s are sick but this is about the sexiest Boxter ever, that top is like a thong on a round ass. Plus the I believe they were the most track oriented Boxter, lightweight.

HyperGT
04-22-2017, 05:48 PM
Think I found my next addition to the stable.

Ponyryd
04-22-2017, 05:59 PM
:waiting::waiting::waiting::shrug::shrug::shrug:

HyperGT
04-22-2017, 11:20 PM
Pick her up Sat , will post pics asap

ZR
04-23-2017, 04:04 AM
Terrific news.

RedSN
04-23-2017, 08:39 AM
Think I found my next addition to the stable.

Gets lift. Goes shopping for another car.

:thumbsup:

True Blue
04-23-2017, 10:33 AM

Are you gonna tell us? Or are you going to kill us with the suspense for another week. :)

OldSchool
04-23-2017, 11:39 AM
^Was that he one in the link? That one would be my choice, much more car than the vette and a lot more rare, the 911s are sick but this is about the sexiest Boxter ever, that top is like a thong on a round ass. Plus the I believe they were the most track oriented Boxter, lightweight.

Speaking about thong .......

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_FoXyvaPSnVk/TNmxJD53ShI/AAAAAAADjKM/YRttLgHLGJY/s1600/Rossi-Sixty-Six-Vette-34.JPG

Laffs
04-25-2017, 09:28 AM
996TT?

HyperGT
04-25-2017, 11:36 AM
Not a 996tt. Much newer and far more track ready. Once it is all finalized I will post up - don't want to jinx it lol

Laffs
04-25-2017, 11:43 AM
Cool. good luck!

RedSN
04-29-2017, 09:18 AM
It's picture day! :party:

Ponyryd
04-29-2017, 09:37 AM
:highfive:

I'm guessing Boxter.

HyperGT
04-29-2017, 07:46 PM
wow picked er up...seriously what a car cant stop smiling and the exhaust sounds great. Will post more up later.

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/mgoffin/IMG_9633_zps1wdovhru.jpg

http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/mgoffin/IMG_9623_zpsvpirveev.jpg
http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss111/mgoffin/IMG_9627_zps4ajmkn7m.jpg

ZR
04-29-2017, 07:57 PM
WOW!!!!

Congrats to you Sir.

Ponyryd
04-29-2017, 10:56 PM
Awesome! Glad you're happy with it, looks like a sweet ride.

Sswitch
04-29-2017, 11:02 PM
Beautiful car!

Armen
04-30-2017, 12:52 AM
Awesome choice!

WTF
04-30-2017, 06:27 AM
that is a sweet ride

congrats

HyperGT
04-30-2017, 10:39 AM
thanks guys! One of less than 900 sold in NA, so wont see many on the road. Hope to do a few track days this year once i get familiar with the car.

ZR
04-30-2017, 10:41 AM
More details please.

HyperGT
04-30-2017, 11:09 AM
Basically a gt4 but Boxster version.
176lb dropped so under 3000lb (29xx) depending on options. lowered suspension (x73), alum doors, superlight 19 inch wheels(made by bbs), michelin sport cup 2's, PDK with sport chrono (basically a track mode setting), 3.4L carerra motor with 320hp/273tq, seen them dyno mid to high 280's stock.....so quick with 29xxlb. Stipped sound deadening - ie still some but less than regular, door pulls in material vs the standard mechanism to save weight. Stock have no a/c or sat nav, i have optional a/c. Sport exhaust which burbles and pops on both up and down shift, smaller gas tank to same weight and improve distribution.
Was named 2010/11 best handling car for less than US100k.
0-60 w/pdk and sport chrono 4.1, 1/4 mile 12.7 - respectfully quick, feels faster due to size and responsiveness.

RedSN
04-30-2017, 11:14 AM
^^^race car.
Nice!

HyperGT
04-30-2017, 11:20 AM
lol no not racecar, but capable yes.
Will also need driver mod to go fastish.

Darkhorse
04-30-2017, 11:26 AM
Car looks awesome!!!

Lots of style.

ZR
04-30-2017, 01:08 PM
Basically a gt4 but Boxster version.
176lb dropped so under 3000lb (29xx) depending on options. lowered suspension (x73), alum doors, superlight 19 inch wheels(made by bbs), michelin sport cup 2's, PDK with sport chrono (basically a track mode setting), 3.4L carerra motor with 320hp/273tq, seen them dyno mid to high 280's stock.....so quick with 29xxlb. Stipped sound deadening - ie still some but less than regular, door pulls in material vs the standard mechanism to save weight. Stock have no a/c or sat nav, i have optional a/c. Sport exhaust which burbles and pops on both up and down shift, smaller gas tank to same weight and improve distribution.
Was named 2010/11 best handling car for less than US100k.
0-60 w/pdk and sport chrono 4.1, 1/4 mile 12.7 - respectfully quick, feels faster due to size and responsiveness.

Serious piece of hardware. :)

03svt
04-30-2017, 01:44 PM
Congrats Mike.. enjoy it!

HyperGT
04-30-2017, 03:13 PM
Congrats Mike.. enjoy it!

thanks Mike and congrats on your Seriously awesome news!

03svt
04-30-2017, 03:14 PM
thanks Mike and congrats on your Seriously awesome news!

Thank you very much.

Ponyryd
04-30-2017, 10:05 PM
Sick car and great choice! I very rarely think this, but those wheels may look sick in black.

Have you ever seen the Porsche engine track simulation dyno? Not sure how to post it here but it's a sick video, shows a boxer engine on a dyno with is a sick jig to simulate race conditions, it's one of the coolest things I've seen.

HyperGT
04-30-2017, 10:37 PM
I have not, if you have a link?

Was thinking the same, but typed the question...and "computer says no" lol maybe next year.

Ponyryd
05-01-2017, 07:49 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fv53RbvgfGc&feature=youtu.beI'm diggin the black wheels, could always use the pell-off paint just to try with the stock wheels, that is if you like it of course, lol.

https://youtu.be/fv53RbvgfGc

If someone could imbed the vid that would be great, it's pretty cool. Also not sure why I typed dyno, it's more like a track conditions/loads simulator.

HyperGT
05-01-2017, 09:55 PM
wow cool video.

Laffs
05-02-2017, 08:54 AM
Very cool stable you have now. That style/spec of Boxster is by far the best one that Porsche has made.

Hutch
05-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Man that engine sounded good in that video.