PDA

View Full Version : With the failure rate so low, why why why do they keep pissing money away.

ZR
04-17-2017, 08:34 AM
Ontario taxpayers are on the hook for tens of millions of dollars annually to keep Drive Clean emissions testing going when the failure rate for most vehicles on the initial test is just 4%.
Environment Minister Glen Murray told the Toronto Star that without Drive Clean, Ontario could become the “beater capital of Canada.”
Among older vehicles, those manufactured between 1988 to 1997 that undergo the tailpipe test, the fail rate was 8% in 2016, according to the Ministry’s data.
Vehicles built before 1988 are not subject to Drive Clean tests.
But for those vehicles undergoing an initial on board diagnostic (OBD) test, those manufactured after 1997 but at least seven years old, the failure rate drops to 3.95% on the first try.
As of April 1, the Ontario government is covering the initial test fee – a charge that cost motorists about $69 million in 2016 – but ministry officials have yet to say what they’ve budgeted for the new expense.

ZR
04-17-2017, 08:36 AM
Take out both the newer / older rides that only failed because of a non issue engine light or monitors not ready, bet the real number is closer to half of that.

RedSN
04-17-2017, 08:51 AM
^^^perhaps. It doesn't mention if the OBDII fails are because of that.

Bitch and complain about the system, say what you will, but it has been a looooooong time since I've seen a smoking Chrysler Minivan on the road. It was not uncommon to see some real shitboxes on the road.
The program is far from perfect, but it is having an effect.

Slick_89_Hatch
04-17-2017, 10:20 AM
Now that most of the old crap boxes are off the road and newer vehicles are so much better, I don't see the need for it anymore. There was in the past, but now it's done it's job.

5.4MarkVIII
04-17-2017, 11:15 AM

Bitch and complain about the system, say what you will, but it has been a looooooong time since I've seen a smoking Chrysler Minivan on the road. It was not uncommon to see some real shitboxes on the road.

I think that has far more to do with easy to get car loans than It does with driveclean.

In certain areas of Ontario it never got phased in so E tests are not required. There are no more smoky cars in those areas than anywhere else In Ontario that requires testing

ZR
04-17-2017, 12:50 PM

We already had laws (police issued excessive smoke ticket / MOE + MTO enforcement vehicles roaming the streets) that should have taken those shitters off the road before D clean came along.

Old Fart
04-17-2017, 01:16 PM
^^^I remember that...mid 70's I believe. Any dilapidated vehicles would be forced to get repaired. MTO even had a mobile trailer hey would used as an inspection point. Once repaired, you got a windshield sticker to say that you passed.

WTF
04-17-2017, 01:18 PM

for a province up to it's neck in debt....with $1 BILLION per month going to interest alone....we can't afford to waste money

and imo...keeping a programme that seems to have run it's course and is now pretty much obsolete...is a ridiculous waste of money

1BAD92LX
04-17-2017, 01:26 PM
Yes but cancel the drive clean program and all the ricers will remove their catalytic convertors because it increases horsepower

RedSN
04-17-2017, 01:29 PM
I'm not saying that the program hasn't run it's course. Perhaps I should of said "it had an effect" instead of "is".

And valid point MarkVIII, maybe the Caravans died of natural causes.

5.4MarkVIII
04-17-2017, 03:32 PM
If your referring to the old square ones. They all got stollen lol.

stangstevers
04-18-2017, 09:42 AM
Quebec has no such thing and I don't see anymore older cars burning oil than I do in the GTA. Drive clean really only cleans your wallet, not emissions. I do see the odd old Econoline van rusted to bits smoking oil, makes me wonder how he got away with it. Governments can do so much to help the environment but they grasp at straws that make no sense.

On the other hand, it absolutely disgusts me to smell cars with no emissions. Guys removing their cats and smog on street driven rides is absurd to me, they're only ruining the hobby. No one will support us if you end up smelling like un-burnt Esso just because you drove behind a 180hp fox with an off-road BBK H-pipe installed. It gives a little weight savings and in most cases actually makes the car drive like ass because they failed to tell the computer to ignore EGR and whatnot. My 87 which doesn't require emissions testing has everything installed and working.

ZR
04-18-2017, 10:15 PM
Good point, easy to make big power and keep it legit.