PDA

View Full Version : BMW enthusiast club keeps cars with active safety systems off race tracks

Armen
04-18-2017, 02:27 PM
http://www.autofocus.ca/news-events/news/canadian-driving-club-bans-newer-cars-over-safety-concerns

BMW Club Canada’s Toronto-area Trillium chapter has banned cars with automated forward-collision braking systems and lane-departure and correction systems from its track events over concerns these technologies pose a danger to drivers at speed.

Automotive auto-braking systems aggressively apply the brakes if, by way of its forward sensors, a vehicle determines it’s closing in quickly on another vehicle or object ahead.

Using similar automation technologies, lane correction systems “bump” the steering back in the right direction to keep a vehicle centred in its lane.
But on the racetrack, these systems designed for road safety may actually pose a significant hazard.

While learning car control skills at or near (or sometimes slightly over) the limit of grip, an unsolicited jab on the brakes or twitch of the steering wheel is likely to send a car into a spin, or perhaps under-steering into a barrier.

Indeed, an exercise focused on improving driver safety and collision avoidance skills could, ironically, be foiled by a safety technology, resulting in a smashed-up sports car—or worse.

(Even on public roads, these technologies pose a hazard under certain circumstances, such as when changing lanes to pass a slow-moving vehicle. If the vehicle applies its brakes in the middle of a lane change, or if lane-keeping tech bumps the steering back towards the vehicle the driver is intending to pass, it could cause a collision.)

In an April 9 memo to its members, the Trillium chapter said both of the aforementioned systems are banned from all track activities for the 2017 driving season.

While it’s true in most vehicles these systems can be turned off, the club is faced with a legal conundrum. By ordering drivers to turn these technologies off, the club puts itself at legal risk, yet by allowing drivers to keep the systems engaged, drivers are put at risk.

The fact some cars may unexpectedly turn their systems back on while driving even further complicates matters, as simply turning the systems off will not suffice as a reliable solution.

Starting in 2022, it will be mandated that all cars sold in Canada are equipped with both forward collision avoidance and lane departure systems, meaning driving clubs will be faced with a unique new challenge to keep events both safe and fully booked.

We’re hoping a solution can be found by then, lest driving enthusiasts eventually be forced into classic cars as time wears on.

(BMW Clubs Canada: Trillium Chapter)

Blackmare
04-18-2017, 03:00 PM
Interesting article. I never would have put the two together - specifically, the safety features and how that could affect track driving.

Not4you
04-18-2017, 03:05 PM
Hmph. Really interesting. I could see this being an issue at TMP at the last corner where you are approaching the wall at high speed.

Ray721
04-18-2017, 03:13 PM
Why is expensive computer interference the answer to poor drivers? Why not make it more difficult to get a license in the first place.

RedSN
04-18-2017, 03:28 PM
Hmph. Really interesting. I could see this being an issue at TMP at the last corner where you are approaching the wall at high speed.

I wish there was an automatic system that would lift off the throttle and turn the right blinker on when it sensed a vehicle approaching from behind ;)

ZR
04-18-2017, 04:50 PM
..............Shelby is working on it. ;)

StAnger
04-19-2017, 07:26 AM
Why not make it more difficult to get a license in the first place.

Because that would be too easy, and makes too much sense. Which is something the government can't do, because their job is to create a nanny state. At least the Libtards anyway.

Personally, I think laws should be based on Darwinian Evolution (aka Survival of the Fittest) instead of rewarding and protecting stupid people.

ZR
04-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Why is expensive computer interference the answer to poor drivers? Why not make it more difficult to get a license in the first place.

STOP IT RAY................makes way too much sense, you know full well they'll never do it. :)

Ghost Rider
04-19-2017, 07:42 AM

Think of all the money they'd be out...

Scrape
04-19-2017, 08:34 AM
Turning off the nannies takes some skills too. Some cars they are deep in the menu so some may end up leaving them on lol and then BOOM!

Not4you
04-19-2017, 01:14 PM
I remember when I did the Ian Law Racing school when I had my fox coupe. We did a bunch of test sessions on track all morning and these guys with Beemers and Porsches were talking all big. Then after lunch they had to turn off the aids and they spent the rest of the afternoon in the grass.

Scrape
04-19-2017, 01:52 PM
LMAO! Now we know who is the real driver!
I remember when I did the Ian Law Racing school when I had my fox coupe. We did a bunch of test sessions on track all morning and these guys with Beemers and Porsches were talking all big. Then after lunch they had to turn off the aids and they spent the rest of the afternoon in the grass.

tulowd
04-19-2017, 05:58 PM
I wish there was an automatic system that would lift off the throttle and turn the right blinker on when it sensed a vehicle approaching from behind ;)

my mistake, I thought red SN 95's already came equipped with those features :)

RedSN
04-19-2017, 07:09 PM
Nope, all manual baby, I converted it from an automatic. I watch my rear view mirror for crazy drivers and let them by ;)