PDA

View Full Version : An open letter to car show trophy hunters...

Stephen06GT
04-23-2017, 06:17 PM
I saw this on Facebook and thought it deserved a share.

http://www.stanceiseverything.com/2016/05/an-open-letter-to-car-show-trophy-hunters/

Ponyryd
04-24-2017, 01:21 AM
That's pretty good. I haven't been to many shows personally, it's not my thing, really, but I was surprised at one I attended, there was a guy who showed up late, with a dirty car and still won best of show, it was like the judges had already picked him before he arrived, that really soured me on the experience.
It was still cool though cuz there were lots of nice cars, well-modded, and clean to look at.

ZR
04-24-2017, 07:19 AM
There is no win for those organizing n running a car show where trophy's or any other kind of recognition and or prizes are involved. Make it participant vote, feedback, guy with the most friends in attendance always wins. Shift it over to judges, they only picked car A or B because they know him or her. Sadly, some show up "knowing" their car is better than anyone else's and will accept nothing less than taking the top dog prize.
Some years ago my 2000 GT took best in it's class at Woodward / Mustang Alley. I was initially blown away, didn't have my car entered for the sake of being judged, just enjoyed the fact it got me parked closer to where I like to sit out on Woodward. Knowing a close friend's company was handling at least some of the judging that day, immediately went over to speak with him, no way I wanted to win based on who I knew. Was relieved to know judging of my category was handled by peeps I'd never met, came home with a perma grin knowing my car won on it's own merits.
I / we have seen accusations when giving away prizes either on the board or at events. You didn't draw the names in front of everyone, you likely only put his or her name in the ballot box n didn't show everyone all the other ballots. If it's legit why don't you do it in front of everyone or at least do a live video of names being put into the hat and drawn.
No matter how it's done, always a conspiracy theory in the wind.

Good grief.

Uncle Buck
04-24-2017, 08:19 AM
To each their own but I'd rather drive it than show it. I've never tried to "show" my current ride but did show a previous ride. I found that the nicer I made the car, the more critical folks were. It can become a vicious circle if you let it.

RedSN
04-24-2017, 08:28 AM
Sorry guys, I had now idea that's how you felt. I'll try and be more social at car shows this year. Hell, I'm not even going to wash my car or open my hood.

The Newmare
04-24-2017, 08:54 AM
I generally go for the social aspect of the hobby,leaving before they even announce the trophies half the time.

Ray721
04-24-2017, 09:29 AM
I was a judge at a car show two years ago. Sounds like this article was written after the event I judged. There was one car that had a killer paint job but the engine bay was a mess and stock as hell, the interior had a "custom" stereo from 2004 and garbage behind the seats. It was overall not a clean car and that killed it's points big time. The guy bitched and cried because he didn't get a trophy. He complained to the event organizers and everything. All the cars that beat him had more work done and were cleaner plain and simple. Want a trophy, clean your shit. A paint job isn't going to fool anyone.

OneQwkStang
04-24-2017, 04:59 PM
I was a judge at a car show two years ago. Sounds like this article was written after the event I judged. There was one car that had a killer paint job but the engine bay was a mess and stock as hell, the interior had a "custom" stereo from 2004 and garbage behind the seats. It was overall not a clean car and that killed it's points big time. The guy bitched and cried because he didn't get a trophy. He complained to the event organizers and everything. All the cars that beat him had more work done and were cleaner plain and simple. Want a trophy, clean your shit. A paint job isn't going to fool anyone.

Bowmanville Ricer Show.

- - - Updated - - -

Its ok guys, Ive got enough trophies someone else can win them now. LOL

WTF
04-24-2017, 06:16 PM
prepping your car for a show is a complete pain in the ass...hours and hours and hours of detailing....let alone the buckos spent

and then you see a dark cloud and you shit a brick....it's self-inflicted pain

there's no perfect solution for car show judging...cause at the end of the show someone will always be unhappy regardless of the judging process...and I've judged...been a participant judge etc etc

imo....if the hood is closed then I pretty much walk past the car

and I've been unhappy too...this is your piece of art you're showing....your art that you've detailed for probably 16+ hours getting it ready....and when your subtle approach to being over-the-top gets creamed by some outlandish thing that you would never own.....well you give your head shake

but if you run a show where the dirty-daily-driver with 160,000 kms of stone chips, a big sound system and a huge stuffed animal sitting on top of the disgustingly filthy motor beats out cars that you could eat off the underside...then you shouldn't be running a show

but pulling a complete hissy fit is lame......just STFU and don't go back to the next one....been there done that

when my buddy John Woods died I lost the drive to go to the shows....loved that guy....when he wasn't there anymore it wasn't the same

so......it wasn't about the cars after all

WTF
04-24-2017, 07:34 PM
I'm remembering some of the shit shows now

anyone remember London 2006-ish?

participant voting...100+ stangs....lots of sweet rides

12ish awards.....went like this

best interior - Scott Winger
best wheels - Scott Winger
best paint - Scott Winger
best stance - Scott Winger
best-in-show - Scott Winger

or something like that

lots of incredible rides and Winger won like half the awards......and that will PISS people right off...I remember seeing the irate wife of some guy with a nice classic with tears in her eyes

he more than deserved best-in-show....but when you win BIS you shouldn't grab every other class because you're best-in-show

if you're gonna run a show.....don't set yourself up for some well deserved grief

ZR
04-24-2017, 09:12 PM
Or when a new off the showroom floor ride takes best paint and interior?

ZR
04-24-2017, 09:15 PM
Loved the last year we did the show in Heart Lake, was my privilege to be part of awarding "the best work in progress". Same with the crazy best use of duct tape creations a few put together, stuff like that was just so damm much fun.

stangabang
04-25-2017, 12:11 AM
mmmm car show drama, I love hate them

Mellow Yellow
04-25-2017, 12:27 AM
I must be a a nut. I travel long distances to various shows. Sure I'd like to win, but seldom do.

Got all the way to Albuquerque NM one year thinking I'd get my ass kicked by the southern cars...came back with 2nd place in class, go figure.

This year off to Austin TX in June for the 30th annual Z car convention. 5 day convention; 1 judged show, 1 people's choice show; whole lot of track events, good food and company. Will I win anything ...I doubt it, but its still a lot of fun and have acquaintances from all over the US and Canada and a few from Asia. Thats what turns my crank.
Plus in Austin I get to drive on the Circuit of the Americas track...really looking forward to this.

IanGTCS
04-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Loved the last year we did the show in Heart Lake, was my privilege to be part of awarding "the best work in progress". Same with the crazy best use of duct tape creations a few put together, stuff like that was just so damm much fun.

The Subaru club did one a few weeks ago with categories like dirtiest car (inside and out). Sounded like it would have been a good time.

Armen
04-25-2017, 09:00 PM
I understand it's part of the hobby but this trophy stuff never interested me. Building a car or restoring a car from the ground up, ya I can understand the need to attend and try and be awarded for the accomplishment, but otherwise, I'd rather drive.

Drtoronto
04-26-2017, 08:39 AM
I think actual car shows and cruise nights are different. I have won a couple trophys one for the Mach 1 and one for my 12 GT. But wasn't at those shows for that reason.
Just like to get outa the house �� and socialize is the real reason I like going to cruise nights. Actuall hardcore car shows I've never had interest in but again what ever floats ones boat.

Laffs
04-26-2017, 09:00 AM
That's pretty good. I haven't been to many shows personally, it's not my thing, really, but I was surprised at one I attended, there was a guy who showed up late, with a dirty car and still won best of show, it was like the judges had already picked him before he arrived, that really soured me on the experience.
It was still cool though cuz there were lots of nice cars, well-modded, and clean to look at.

Was this one of our shows? Or another local show?

l Was involved in many of the shows down this way and a lot of times we made the "awards" a participant and spectator vote. At one point the "most extreme custom" was then given to a fucking V6 with spray painted interior pieces and lambo doors because apparently to the average car show goes that's more extreme than a 1969 Fastback with a modern driveline and interior.
So everyone gets pissed that won, so next go then you use a judging committee and everyone crys foul that "YOU DIDN'T NOTICE I POLISHED MY AC VENT SCREWS OR HAD MY CONNECTING RODS POWDERCOATED" so really no winning. Honestly why I don't fucking go to car things anymore, someone inevitably wants to come bitch to me (even though I have nothing to do with organizing shit anymore) about how they have been wronged because more people are paying attention to x-y-z than their car.

ZR
04-26-2017, 09:06 AM
Social aspect to me is all that matters.

RedSN
04-26-2017, 09:28 AM
I get the same social aspect from the track days
...and WAY more fun.
...and don't have to polish the AC vent screws

Laffs
04-26-2017, 09:29 AM
...and WAY more fun.
...and don't have to polish the AC vent screws

YOU REALLY SHOULD BECAUSE APPARENTLY IT MAKES A HUGE DIFFERENCE AND WINS YOU SHOWS

(cry's uncontrollably)

Jack Raccoon!
04-26-2017, 09:45 AM
...and WAY more fun.
...and don't have to polish the AC vent screwsIf you are still rocking AC vent screws, you deserve to go home empty handed. It's a $3 mod. I'll set up a GoFundMe page for you..

RedSN
04-26-2017, 11:01 AM
$3 isn't too bad.
How much for the signed Shelby ones?

Not4you
04-26-2017, 12:33 PM
$3 isn't too bad.
How much for the signed Shelby ones?

$2

NickD
04-26-2017, 01:55 PM
I think the only show I entered last year was the stampede and came away with my first trophy, it was kinda neat, that said plastidip and air ride are not my style so I'm not sure how many more I'll be getting lol

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk