PDA

View Full Version : Re calibrating a mastercraft torque wrench

5.4MarkVIII
05-04-2017, 09:44 AM
Ive have my click style mastercraft maximum torque wrench for over ten years. Always served me well. This year after re torqueing the wheels on my work truck twice I had some lug nuts come loose.

Anyone have their recalibrate? I know if it was a snap on or mac then they could do it. Not sure about mastercraft.

Or maybe after ten years it's just time for a new one?

MUSTANGWOP
05-04-2017, 09:58 AM
Personally I'd just wait for a sale and replace the one you have. They go on sale all the time.

RedSN
05-04-2017, 10:05 AM
easy enough to check the wrench yourself to see if it is close to accurate.

secure the wrench head and hang a weight off the handle.
http://www.wikihow.com/Calibrate-a-Torque-Wrench

When putting the lug nuts on the truck, you should know approximately when you are close to the right torque. If the wrench is clicking way before that point, you know something is wrong.

Ziggyzag420
05-04-2017, 10:26 AM
Looks like torque wrenches are on sale at Canadian tire $ 69.99 for half inch drive starting May 5

ZR
05-04-2017, 10:29 AM
I'd suggest it's not the wrench but instead wheels not correctly seated which in turn gave you a false torque. First drive, wheel shifts n seats correctly leaving nuts under torqued. Wire wheel on a 4" grinder to clean, copper never seize to see em slide on and stay as rust free as possible. With the shiat they continue to pound on the winter roads, being anal about wheel mountings etc has become a must.
Actual value you tighten the nuts to isn't critical (meaning, if your wrench is snugging to 108lbs instead of 120lbs it really isn't a big deal), what is, all nuts being the same.
If your vehicle is a dual rear wheel, even more important inner wheel is properly on the hub and held there while second wheel is secured against it.

Old Fart
05-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Check the warranty....maybe it's lifetime. I have the Canadian Tire Maximum torque wrench and I've replaced it a few times. I know it's not top quality but the purchase price and warranty is good enough for me.

92redragtop
05-04-2017, 12:41 PM
Check the warranty....maybe it's lifetime. I have the Canadian Tire Maximum torque wrench and I've replaced it a few times. I know it's not top quality but the purchase price and warranty is good enough for me.

With lifetime warranty this seems to be the way to go (unless they say it's not defective and needs calibrating - not sure what this costs).

hsousa88
05-04-2017, 06:14 PM
Anything I buy at crappy tire is life time warranty... they just don't care and exchange, not complaining.

Scrape
05-05-2017, 07:38 AM
I've had my torque wrench for 10 plus years and still works great! No issues at all TBH. Always have zero'd it when done and never dropped the tool. You are supposed to go back and re-check your torque after a few hundred km of driving as I recall.

Ponyryd
05-06-2017, 12:07 AM
^Only on new aluminum wheels, otherwise not needed.

With regards to the wrench, may I ask what kind of truck you're using it on and what you're torquing the lugs to? If it's a Ford it's likely not the wrench at all but the fact that for no good reason they needed to reinvent the lug nut, just about the same time they reinvented the spark plug, which worked out great.

5.4MarkVIII
05-06-2017, 07:52 AM
2013 edge.
I cleaned the hubs. Tourqed to 100ft/lbs. drove for a week. Re tourqued to 100ft/lbs. drove for a week had a weird clicking sound. Took it to the mechanic and he said the wheel was loose and needed to be re tourqued.

Ten years in autobody I've tourqued a lot of wheels. Just want to be sure the wrench is correct. as I have three cars of my own in the road plus I swap the winters for my inlaws as well. Just want to make sure they are all good.

ZR
05-06-2017, 07:54 AM
For sure wheel was on cocked

Ponyryd
05-06-2017, 09:14 AM
Sounds strange to me, Edge doesn't have stupid lugs, so that shouldn't be the problem. may have been a cocked wheel I suppose, anything is possible. If I'm in doubt about my torque wrench, I always just compare it with another to make sure. Like, if you go check the torque with your wrench now, what does it say?

Harbinger
05-06-2017, 11:00 AM
Could also be worn studs correct me if I'm wrong

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Ponyryd
05-06-2017, 02:33 PM
^Stretched studs will give a erratic torque reading, yes, likely would have snapped off within a few hundred km tho

ZR
05-06-2017, 03:56 PM
Corrosion on the wheels mounting flange can see it sit a hair cocked n wheel appear to be torqued only to come loose shortly thereafter.

ZR
05-06-2017, 04:01 PM
Shoot, almost forgot, when torquing your wheels.............

-while holding the rim firmly n square against the hub / mounting flange, snug the nuts up with a 3/8 ratchet or similar.
-lower the jack till tires on the ground, with torque wrench snug first nut up but DO NOT take to full torque. Move to nut number two of your pattern (yes pattern is uber important) and do the same. Good idea to do same on nut number three then on number four take it to full torque. Make nut number four your new number one and continue with pattern.
Idea being, if you were to take nut number one to full torque with little to no pressure on any of the others, you will unknowingly cock the wheel which will screw up torque readings on the rest of em.

Ponyryd
05-06-2017, 04:13 PM
Corrosion on the wheels mounting flange can see it sit a hair cocked n wheel appear to be torqued only to come loose shortly thereafter.

Said he cleaned the hubs though, otherwise yes, I fully agree.

ZR
05-06-2017, 04:30 PM
Maybe hub on the vehicle but not back of the rim. Dunno.

5.4MarkVIII
05-06-2017, 04:55 PM
Didn't do the back of of the rim. Could be the issue I suppose.

All the others i tourqued seem fine