PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye SiriusXM...

Stephen06GT
05-06-2017, 08:27 AM
After 10 years I've just cancelled my Sirius account. The final straw was an unauthorized credit card payment. I guess I'll just have to listen to the M90.

Ponyryd
05-06-2017, 09:15 AM
Sirius rules.

03svt
05-06-2017, 09:49 AM
I can't listen to regular radio anymore.

FABMAN
05-06-2017, 10:12 AM
I prefer Spotify, listen to anything I want on demand for $10/month

RedSN
05-06-2017, 10:23 AM
I liked the free trial I had with my truck, but the fee is too much IMO. Maybe if I could use it in the garage too, but need a separate account :thumbsdown:

03svt
05-06-2017, 12:26 PM
I liked the free trial I had with my truck, but the fee is too much IMO. Maybe if I could use it in the garage too, but need a separate account :thumbsdown:

Get ahold of customer retention, the regular price is absurd! I'm paying 37$ every 6 months now.

hsousa88
05-06-2017, 12:40 PM
Get ahold of customer retention, the regular price is absurd! I'm paying 37$ every 6 months now.

Yep pretty much... I have never paid full price.

Every April they charge my CC with their insane yearly price.. I call in and ask to cancel, I get transferred 2-3 times to someone else and end up paying under $100 for the year.

Stephen06GT
05-06-2017, 01:15 PM
They offered me an $88.00 rate and I told them to shove it. I hate dealing with companies that go for the moon shot price then when you call in to cancel they suddenly offer something reasonable.

RedSN
05-06-2017, 01:32 PM
^^^exactly!

I cancelled Rogers because of that game. I don't want to haggle for the best price every month.

ZR
05-06-2017, 03:16 PM
I'm "the guy" that went rah rah rah I'll never pay for radio.............................who now won't / can't live without XM.

83 5.0
05-06-2017, 03:50 PM
I have always been tempted to get Sirius XM for my DD, as most car rentals I get have Sirius. I usually run podcasts when I am local.

ZR
05-06-2017, 03:53 PM
You can always find an online coupon or negotiate it for around $100/yr (or less).

allicedout
05-06-2017, 04:52 PM
I prefer Spotify, listen to anything I want on demand for $10/month

I agree Spotify is the way to go and far better then XM. I had XM for 4 years free of charge and what bothered me was I heard the exact same shit on my 1/2 hour ride to and from work the entire week! Now maybe it was the station I was listening to but regardless it turned me off. Spotify is limitless, any car, any place, wherever you and your phone are Spotify is there.

R3troGT
05-06-2017, 06:26 PM
I have a Deezer subscription that is $9.99 a month. I can listen in the car, at home or at the office. Much cheaper and I have a choice in what I want to listen to.

WTF
05-06-2017, 07:05 PM
imo....you're missing out if you don't tune in to your local radio station

we used to wear our locals stations like a badge of honour depending on your flavour of choice

in the 80s...you wouldn't even talk to someone wearing a ChumFM T-shirt if you were a Q listener

now...everyone wants to proclaim how awesome they are because they fucking pay a monthly bill to not listen

you folks have lost the plot

local radio is passion for the community...the community you live in

keep on paying for some service to play CDs endlessly for you and you'll wonder one day while you're stuck in traffic....why nobody on the radio will tell you why your stuck in fucking traffic

Speedtospare
05-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Spotify 10 bux a month plus data.......

Grebnitty
05-06-2017, 09:28 PM
Sirius is great but damn it's expensive. I managed to get 6 months for $30 but I refuse to pay their huge yearly fee. I'll have to haggle again once this sub is up.

92redragtop
05-06-2017, 10:10 PM

we used to wear our locals stations like a badge of honour depending on your flavour of choice

in the 80s...you wouldn't even talk to someone wearing a ChumFM T-shirt if you were a Q listener

now...everyone wants to proclaim how awesome they are because they fucking pay a monthly bill to not listen

keep on paying for some service to play CDs endlessly for you and you'll wonder one day while you're stuck in traffic....why nobody on the radio will tell you why your stuck in fucking traffic

I can't do FM any more, only CFRB1010 (and AM680 sometimes) and downloaded podcasts on the iPhone.

Scrape
05-06-2017, 10:54 PM
Apple Music for me. Got so sick of listening to things cutting in and out.

Redfire427
05-06-2017, 11:01 PM
With the absolutely horrible audio quality you get from satellite radio, I don't know how you can even listen to it. It is basically one step up from AM radio. Paying a monthly fee for it is absurd.

StAnger
05-07-2017, 07:19 AM

The downside of radio is, 99% of what's played is the shits. Unless I can find a classic rock station, I'm usually just listening to CDs.

baddbullitt
05-07-2017, 07:27 AM
I enjoy my Sirius.. I look forward to Yachtrock every summer and listen to Seriously Sinatra every Saturday and Sunday night!!! :)

Clutt gt
05-07-2017, 08:34 AM
I enjoyed my free trial with my new truck. But after that no way I was paying for sat radio. Its just not that good.
I tried to haggle it down to $50 per year, but they still wanted $100 per year.
They said not possible so I let go with no regrets. I was told if I change my mind the can resign me anytime.
I told her I look forward to my next free trial in a few years when I trade in for the next truck.

I had the same type of convo with Onstar.
Onstar has a phone built into the truck.
So does my phone.
With Onstar the truck has a personal hot spot.
So does my phone.
Onstar has road side assistance for my truck that is a 2016
I already have CAA that covers my truck & trailer, my work van, my wife's car, my motorcycle, The Cobra, or anything else I'm driving.
Onstar can auto call incase of an accident and im not able.
I drive in mostly populated areas, if I'm in that good of a crash there is prob a video being uploaded to YouTube before Onstar can even send anyone.

I just can't justify all these extra services that we pay for that we already have.
Maybe I'm too cheap.

55 HD
05-07-2017, 10:11 AM
My point of enjoying the Sat radio is CLEARLY........I can listen to the type of music WHERE EVER I'm driving. I don't have to find a local station while driving and then go over a hill and loose the station. I guess if you stay in an area of the city where your favorite station comes in clear you are good to go with the local play that is also PRE RECORDED on a tape including the news.

Sat radio gives me the enjoyment of a variety on different music to suit my mood and driving experience.

WELL WORTH IT TO ME

Not4you
05-08-2017, 12:10 AM

I'll hit up Fan590 for the Jays games, and once in a while I'll still listen to Q or Rock95. But it never fails that the DJs, limited repetitive playlists and fucking brutal ads always have me back to SiriusXM soon enough.

Biz
05-08-2017, 07:24 AM

I just renewed for $39.00 for 6 months for the RS and it includes the online option so I can listen on my phone, iPad, CPU.
One account.

The Newmare
05-08-2017, 07:33 AM
I'm with Tim(WTF)!!

ZR
05-08-2017, 07:42 AM
I'll hit up Fan590 for the Jays games, and once in a while I'll still listen to Q or Rock95. But it never fails that the DJs, limited repetitive playlists and fucking brutal ads always have me back to SiriusXM soon enough.

When the included free trial ended, said I'd enjoyed XM but didn't see what the big deal was....................until a few days later when I was fed up with exactly as you stated n found myself actually preferring to drive with it shut off vs continuing to endure FM. On XM, 70's on seven / 60's on six plus a couple or three country selections and I'm golden. Do enjoy being able to listen to the station / music I like no matter where I'm at. For me, right combination of music and just enough chit chat here and there.
Listening to local country FM (plus a lil Q and Rock 95) in the shop makes me appreciate XM in the truck just that much more.
Beauty of the whole thing, something for everyone out there.

http://ve3sre.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/1401821313.png

Scrape
05-08-2017, 08:13 AM
Once my Sirius/XM expires that will be it for me on satellite. I found that I am still listening to more regular FM/AM radio than Satellite Radio after a year's worth of service. Sirius called me a few times and asked me to subscribe but I said no thank you but not once did they offer me any special deals other than 6 months for $40. I prefer free thank you. Also my Apple music satisfies my desires to listen to ad free music.

ZR
05-08-2017, 08:16 AM
Really wish local FM would step up their game, would much prefer to support for the reasons Tim stated.

Laffs
05-08-2017, 09:29 AM
I pay for SiriusXM for long trips, or when I go for cruise in the Stang and don't want to pay attention to cycling through the iPod or local FM. But 95% of the time I'm listing to our local FM Sports Talk Radio station because I've been listening to those guys forever and love the production they put on.

Biz
05-08-2017, 10:19 AM
They must be VERY hard up for customers.
I never listen to the radio, never mind SAT. I stream my music from my phone to my stereo.

They have more subs now then they have ever had.
I've been with them since 2006.
I drove to Toronto with a friend a few years ago who had no Sirius and in 6 hours in the car we counted the Bell beaver commercial 28x.
I don't know how you guys do it honestly.
And as far as traffic goes they have a traffic channel, although I've never used it plus I have a USA subscription so I don't think it would help.
For $7.00 a month to be able to listen commercial free, save favorite songs, customize the channels I listen to I think is easily worth the price.
I spend more a day on lunch and I'm less satisfied :D

Sirius XM added a net of 257,000 new subscribers in the quarter, for a total of about 31.6 million.

The New York-based company's net income rose to $207.1 million in the three months ending March 31, up from $172.4 million in the same quarter a year ago.

Its first-quarter earnings per share were 4 cents per share, matching Wall Street analysts' forecast, according to Zacks Investment Research.

Revenue rose 8 percent to $1.29 billion in the period, just missing the $1.3 billion that analysts expected, according to Zacks.

Sirius XM expects full-year revenue of $5.3 billion, slightly below the $5.36 billion that analysts expect, according to FactSet.

RedSN
05-08-2017, 10:37 AM
^^^I'm glad they are profitable, because I do like the service. Hopefully the price will start coming down.

Had they offered me the service for $80/yr instead of $200 I probably would have bought it. But they lost this customer with their pricing game. It will be a looooong time before I ever consider it.

WTF
05-08-2017, 11:37 AM
We had a 6 month trial when we bought our Lexus.
Used it a few times, but never found anything worth wild to want to pay for it.
As soon as the trial ended, the phone calls started. And they did not quit!
I finally started answering my phone "Pizza Pizza, can I take your order?" and told them they must have the wrong number as this was Pizza Pizza. They stopped after that.

A few months ago, I put it on the one free channel that is on there, and I shit you not, the phone rang almost right away, and guess who it was....

They must be VERY hard up for customers.
I never listen to the radio, never mind SAT. I stream my music from my phone to my stereo.

we had the same 6 months free when we got the wife's 2016 GTI

and we never even turned it on

they called countless times during the weekdays and finally got me live one day....he gave up on me quick though...I guess never turning the thing on helped

CON VERT
05-08-2017, 02:58 PM
I've got it for free in the new rig, used it a few times, but keep going back to a few old favorites on FM, I find the music quality poor compared to FM, they been hounding me to sign up after my free gig is up , never got a price , I don't need a 160 channels, barely listen to Q , 107.7 or 95 works for me + 680 news !

Biz
05-08-2017, 03:25 PM
At least people listening to that channel aren't paying to listen to that commercial 28 times.
Because last Dec my wife and I rented a vehicle and drove to Florida.
We used the SAT once we were across the border.
I can tell you that I couldn't leave it on a single station because the same songs were being played over and over during our trip.
And it was like that for every channel we put it on.

I guess if they hound enough people like they do, enough people give in.

I've never paid more than $7/month since I've had it. FM radio repeats the same songs Sirius does, don't kid yourself. Not only that the CRTC ensures you receive 35% a month of Canadian content. Doesn't matter if its good or not. You're getting it. Maybe FM is better in bigger city's but here in London we have 3 major stations. A rock station that caters to the classics, a 80's 90's and today channel and the teenagers best friend that plays at least 2 Bieber songs an hour. That alone justifies my $7.00 :D

92redragtop
05-08-2017, 03:53 PM
They have more subs now then they have ever had.
I've been with them since 2006.
I drove to Toronto with a friend a few years ago who had no Sirius and in 6 hours in the car we counted the Bell beaver commercial 28x.
I don't know how you guys do it honestly.
And as far as traffic goes they have a traffic channel, although I've never used it plus I have a USA subscription so I don't think it would help.
For $7.00 a month to be able to listen commercial free, save favorite songs, customize the channels I listen to I think is easily worth the price.
I spend more a day on lunch and I'm less satisfied :D

Sirius XM added a net of 257,000 new subscribers in the quarter, for a total of about 31.6 million.

The New York-based company's net income rose to $207.1 million in the three months ending March 31, up from $172.4 million in the same quarter a year ago.

Its first-quarter earnings per share were 4 cents per share, matching Wall Street analysts' forecast, according to Zacks Investment Research.

Revenue rose 8 percent to $1.29 billion in the period, just missing the $1.3 billion that analysts expected, according to Zacks.

Sirius XM expects full-year revenue of $5.3 billion, slightly below the $5.36 billion that analysts expect, according to FactSet.

Here are the latest results for the Canadian entity. They struggle a little north of the border:

Second Quarter and Year-to-Date Results

Sales for the 3 months ended 2/28/2017 increased 3.03% to $86.95 million from last year's comparable period amount of $84.39 million. Sales for the 6 months ended 2/28/2017 increased 3.73% to $174.16 million from $167.90 million for the same period last year.

Selling, general and administrative expenses for the period increased 298.52% to $24.43 million compared with $6.13 million for the same period last year. Selling, general and administrative expenses for the 6 months ended 2/28/2017 increased 66.19% to $50.16 million from $30.18 million for the same period last year.

Operating income for the period decreased 51.07% to $17.57 million compared with operating income of $35.91 million for the same period last year. Operating income for the year-to-date period decreased 35.03% to $34.79 million compared with operating income of $53.55 million for the equivalent 6 months last year.

Net income for the period decreased 62.43% to $10.61 million compared with net income of $28.25 million for the same period last year. Net income for the year-to-date period decreased 46.71% to $20.42 million compared with net income of $38.32 million for the equivalent 6 months last year.

Net cash from operating activities was $29.93 million for the 6 month period, compared to net cash from operating activities of $34.50 million for last year's comparable period.

Working capital at 2/28/2017 of ($152.00) million increased 10.72% from the prior year end's balance of ($170.25) million, and increased 11.61% from ($171.97) million at the end of last year's same period.

Inventories increased by $176.00 thousand for the year-to-date period, compared to a $4.00 thousand decrease in the prior year's comparable period.

Accounts payable increased by $6.25 million for the year-to-date period, compared to a $15.65 million decrease in the prior year's comparable period.

bluetoy
05-08-2017, 04:08 PM
I've got it in my VW and my F150. The one in my F150 was a U.S. subscription from way back before it was even in Canada. They called me with a lifetime subscription offer for 199USD (that was many years ago). So I took it. So it's free in my f150 and I pay 37 for 6 months in the VW.

Armen
05-08-2017, 06:32 PM
Sat radio's little 'free' for 6 months finally got me after a few newer vehicles. I joined up. I still listen to 680news, but not too much to FM anymore. On Sat I listen to BPM (yes, much like a popular cd being replayed - but I like it), Chill, Willies Road House, Backspin, Sirusly Sinatra and some others. I do enjoy it. We'll see what they offer when it's time to renew.

ZR
05-29-2017, 10:12 PM
UPDATE ON SIRIUS XM.

Renewal date was May 17 of this year, as in years past, expected radio to go off on renewal date and then call into renew. Instead, today I got an email saying it had expired along with this little gem of a note
Your subscription is still active and a balance will continue to accrue on your account reflecting each day of used service until your radio is deactivated or you call
Well don't these guys have balls of steel. I ask for / paid for a year with a valid credit card and did not agree to anything beyond that. Come to find out, they have taken upon themselves to try and bang my credit card a second time (recently changed card number after a theft issue) on what they are calling an auto renewal. Since the card info is no longer of use to them, let me know they will continue to charge me unless I call to cancel (at a rate north of $250/yr)
Wish granted, XM can go fuck itself with their high handed tactics of trying to force at least this customer into an auto renewal.
If your currently with XM, BEWARE OF THEIR TACTICS AND READ YOUR PAPERWORK CLOSELY.

ZR
05-29-2017, 10:19 PM
For the record, customer retention did offer to wave the two weeks I'd owe them plus renewal at a very attractive price. As much as I'll miss it, in good conscience could not especially since it took over 40 minutes on the phone to get this cancelled.

ZR
05-29-2017, 10:24 PM
After 10 years I've just cancelled my Sirius account. The final straw was an unauthorized credit card payment. I guess I'll just have to listen to the M90.

Exactly what they just tried on me.
Did you follow up with your CC company?
Writing / sending out letters for everyone I can think of tomorrow.
CRTC
Consumer and Corporate Affairs.
Any n all consumer watch dogs on the local news channels n newspapers.

ZR
05-29-2017, 11:07 PM
Seems they've already been in shiat over their tactics.

<time datetime="2014-12-04" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">December 4, 2014 • min read by Bob Sullivan (http://blog.credit.com/author/bob-sullivan/) </time>https://cache-blog.credit.com/wp-content/themes/credit-blog/assets/images/article/comments-star.svg 6 Comments (http://blog.credit.com/2014/12/sirius-xm-refunding-customers-who-were-automatically-renewed-103140/#comments)

Last year, I reported on Sirius XM’s business practice of pushing customers into contracts that would automatically renew (http://blog.credit.com/2013/08/breaking-up-is-hard-to-do-for-subscribers/). In my case, the firm simply refused to allow me to sign up without agreeing to automatic renewal (http://blog.credit.com/2013/07/free-trials-and-subscription-services-what-you-need-to-know-67425/), which I hate. I had experienced surprise renewals from them in the past. So I canceled. Apparently, I wasn’t the only one frustrated by the firm.

A group of 45 state attorneys general announced Thursday a settlement after they alleged deception by the firm. The allegations included:
“Difficulty canceling contracts; cancellation requests that were not honored; misrepresentations that the consumer’s Sirius XM service would be canceled and not renewed; contracts that were automatically renewed without consumers’ notice or consent; unauthorized fees; higher, unanticipated rates after a low introductory rate; and Sirius XM failing to provide timely refunds,” according to Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine.
Sirius XM responded to me Thursday, saying they were pleased the the settlement.
“The changes to our consumer practices that we agreed to are practices we have already implemented at SiriusXM,” Patrick Reilly, Senior Vice President, Communications of Sirius XM, told me. “Under the terms of the settlements, we have agreed to provide, upon the request of the States, additional information about our consumer practices and to participate in a process designed to address any previously unresolved consumer complaints. In addition, we agreed to make a payment of approximately $4 million to the States that has no material financial effect on the Company.”
The firm will pay a $3.8 million settlement, and issue refunds to consumers.
<aside class="callout override" style="box-sizing: border-box; margin: 0px 0px 35px; padding: 15px 12px; border: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background: rgb(236, 236, 236); color: rgb(1, 1, 1); font-size: 0.75em; line-height: 1.5em; text-align: center;">Get Your Free Credit Score & MonitoringPlus Weekly Updates From Our 50+ ExpertsGet It Now (https://credit.com/r/signup-newstyle)
Privacy Policy (http://www.credit.com/privacy/)
</aside>“Consumers should be able to understand what they are purchasing and exercise their cancellation rights without hassle,” DeWine said. “We found that many Sirius XM customers had difficulty canceling their contract or were surprised when their contracts renewed automatically. We are pleased that under this settlement Sirius XM will make significant changes to its business practices and provide reimbursement to consumers.”
Consumers won’t automatically get refunds, however. If you feel you were mistreated by the firm, you must register your complaint on this website. (https://listenercare.siriusxm.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/6436)
“To be considered for restitution under this settlement, consumers must file a complaint concerning conduct that occurred from July 28, 2008, to Dec. 4, 2014, involving an identifiable loss that has not been previously resolved with their state attorney general,” DeWine’s statement said.
Sirius XM has also agreed to a number of changes in its business practices, including:

Clearly and conspicuously disclose all terms and conditions at the point of sale, such as billing frequency, term length, automatic renewal date and cancellation policy.
Make no misrepresentations about the available plans in advertisements.
Provide advance notice via mail or email about upcoming automatic renewals for plans lasting longer than six months.
Revise the cancellation procedures to make it easier for consumers to cancel.
Prohibit incentive compensation for customer service representatives (http://blog.credit.com/2013/10/strategies-to-get-the-best-customer-service/) based solely on “saves,” or retaining current customers who attempt to cancel.

Scrape
05-30-2017, 07:22 AM
Wow. These kind of tactics should have been shut down a long time ago but this really sucks.

ZR
05-30-2017, 07:49 AM
I had wrongly put Stephens experience down to a one of, thought no way it can be the status quo of a company that size. Should have Google searched when he originally posted so I'd have been better informed. Had my CC info not changed, yes in spite of my not agreeing to an auto renewal, they would have merrily gone ahead n done so at a grossly inflated rate over what I'd paid last year (just shy of triple).
They did have an interesting strategy though, claimed it's in the service agreement, told em I've seen no such thing. Last year, just like years past, I renewed over the phone after the radio when off (as I'm sure is pretty common). No mention of auto renewal or anything else, called n asked for a one year service, paid for it in full, as in the past expected radio to shut off at the end of my term.
Stupid part of this nonsense, just like Stephen, they've successfully chased away a long term customer with no chance of ever getting me back. Just as ridiculous, making this process take gone 40 minutes of my time all while going on n on about how they don't want to loose a loyal / long term customer.
If I wasn't irritated enough at minute one, by minute 40 it was a given.

RedSN
05-30-2017, 01:40 PM
Stupid part of this nonsense, just like Stephen, they've successfully chased away a long term customer with no chance of ever getting me back.
It's a shame they decided to use gym memberships as their business model.
They have a good product that people are willing to pay for. They managed to get themselves installed in most new cars. All they had to do is price the product reasonably.

Biz
05-30-2017, 03:45 PM
Sirius doesn't have my credit card info.

A lot of company's use automatic subscription renewals.
Off the top of my head I know Microsoft, Sony, Apple and most big gyms do.
They bank on consumers forgetting you have been renewed.
As a consumer it's your responsibility to know when your contract ends and the renewal begins.

Armen
05-30-2017, 04:14 PM
Funny... Just after I first commented in this thread, wouldn't you know... Sirius dinged my credit card $240 for renewal in one of my vehicles. So I called them and said, ya that's too much, so cancel it.

What do you think happened?

OH! Well we can give you this awesome deal for $129 and credit you back the rest.

Cool. Done.

Stephen06GT
05-30-2017, 06:36 PM
Funny... Just after I first commented in this thread, wouldn't you know... Sirius dinged my credit card $240 for renewal in one of my vehicles. So I called them and said, ya that's too much, so cancel it.

OH! Well we can give you this awesome deal for $129 and credit you back the rest.

Cool. Done.
They offered it to me for $88.00 plus tax ( the rate I paid last year). I told them to shove it!

hsousa88
05-30-2017, 06:54 PM

Cool. Done.

Yep, I've gone through this the past 3 years.

Renewal is coming up in July, gotta call ahead and get my regular rate of $90.

Armen
05-30-2017, 08:19 PM
Maybe I pay more because my truck is bigger, lol.

ZR
06-17-2017, 07:44 AM
Listening to local radio last few weeks, it`s like being punished!!!! :(
Except for turn table Tuesday`s, lame and then some.

dbovine
06-17-2017, 08:33 AM
MP3s are still the way to go. I really enjoyed the SAT radio but the constant haggling to get a fair price isnt worth it. I just got an offer for $30 for six months. but then $95 for the next six

03svt
07-31-2017, 08:56 AM
Received an email reminder for my renewal, same deal at Armen, 240 for the year compared to the 50 I paid for 6months, called to cancel and suddenly the price drops to 120 for the year!

I like the service so I said great thank you, but said they would probably get more subscribers if they didn't try and nail everyone with the highest number then drop it by 50%! Why not start at a more reasonable price.. doesn't seem very honest.

ZR
07-31-2017, 09:10 AM
Comes off as an extremely dishonest way to business to me as well. New truck came with XM, yes I'll be swallowing my words n renewing when the free trials over.

Zexhuffer
07-31-2017, 10:15 AM
Comes off as an extremely dishonest way to business to me as well. New truck came with XM, yes I'll be swallowing my words n renewing when the free trials over.

Fully understand why though. Only station i can listen to without ripping my hair out on fm is 97.3 which is 70,80,90's dont even bother with the rest of them..Mostly have spotify hooked up on bluetooth and listen to what i want or a playlist of music i like.