PDA

View Full Version : 1967 Coupe Hood Latch

mustang sally
05-22-2017, 03:36 PM
hey Folks,
Do the 1967 mustangs have both primary and secondary hood latches?

Asking because when I close the hood, the primary latch engages but when driving the hood pops up and down an inch or so as though the hood is not completely closed. I just noticed this today while out for a cruise.

Am I correct in assuming the 67's have a secondary latch further down and mine is just not operating correctly so that it's not catching the hood causing it to not close completely?

(I have an old Chilton's manual and I think it's time for a better one)

Thanks for your info.

ZR
05-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Does your latch look like this?

http://www.classicgarageblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/maintanence-c.jpg

mustang sally
05-22-2017, 04:00 PM
Does your latch look like this?

Yes.

Looking at it standing in front of the car facing into the engine, the two smaller latches on the left side - the one in front will move only if I manually move it. When I move it over to the right then close the hood, the hood will not close at all. I have to manually push that latch back to the left out of the way and then the hood will close. I am not really slamming it for fear of damaging something.

ZR
05-22-2017, 04:07 PM
So you need to move the longer hook to the left to close the hood? Does it move freely if you push the lever up with hood open?
Latch above it, with a screw driver, try pushing it closed, does it latch? (push handle to open before trying to close hood again)

Not uncommon for secondary latch to wear to the point you need to push slightly to the left to close, either out of adjustment or worn or striker below is bent or out of adjustment.
Sometimes primary latch will not lock unless hood is closed with authority (obviously your reluctant to try cause of having to push secondary over n out of the way) or it's possible hood bumpers at the front outer edges have been adjusted too high.

mustang sally
05-22-2017, 04:21 PM
Thanks ZR.
Yes, that worked!!

The longer latch in the middle moves ok and catches the hood - I am going to give it a bit of a cleaning as well and see if it's just gummed up and then go at it again. the secondary latch does move which is good - it's just not moving into position to lock the hood when I close it.

Thank you for your assistance - Ok, I think now that I know what I am doing, I know what I need to do. You are a godsend!
Thank you so much!
Sally.

Old Fart
05-22-2017, 04:29 PM
the one in front will move only if I manually move it. When I move it over to the right then close the hood, the hood will not close at all. I have to manually push that latch back to the left out of the way and then the hood will close.

There is a spring that is attached to that smaller latch. Maybe you could check that as well.

mustang sally
05-22-2017, 05:22 PM
There is a spring that is attached to that smaller latch. Maybe you could check that as well.

Thanks Old Fart. I will check that out - I am just headed out to clean it up and have a look at what's happening and will check the spring as well.

mustang sally
05-23-2017, 06:51 PM
Ok so cleaned everything and lubed everything and now it's working like a charm. Thank you for all the assistance! I am learning so much and I appreciate all you guys and the feedback and info you provide.