PDA

View Full Version : Did you know this stuff is illegal?

ZR
05-28-2017, 08:04 AM
http://www.wheels.ca/top-ten/10-outrageous-canadian-laws/

ZR
05-28-2017, 08:04 AM
1. Do not drive your horse furiously on the highway

Does this mean you can drive it non-furiously and not be subject to a ticket? The Ontario Motor Vehicle Act states: No person shall race or drive furiously any horse or other animal on a highway.

http://wheelsca.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Horse-on-road-copy.jpg

ZR
05-28-2017, 08:05 AM
2. No neutral when coasting down a hill

Am I the only one who didn’t know this was law? You can’t put your vehicle in neutral to save a little fuel mileage while going downhill or give the rpm’s a break while descending down a mountain highway? BC’s Motor Vehicle Act says: When travelling down grade a driver must not coast with the gears of the vehicle in neutral or the clutch disengaged.

http://wheelsca.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Fotolia-78491340-Subscription-Yearly-M.jpg

ZR
05-28-2017, 08:28 AM
3. A driver must not cause the vehicle to move backwards

Who knew that each time you put your vehicle in reverse you were taking the law into your own hands. What if you thought the coast was clear and the other driver ‘just came out of nowhere’? That’s no excuse, says a variety of Motor Vehicle Acts: The driver of a vehicle must not cause the vehicle to move backwards into an intersection or over a crosswalk, and must not in any event or at any place cause a vehicle to move backwards unless the movement can be made in safety.

http://wheelsca.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/reverse.jpg

fast Ed
05-28-2017, 08:29 AM
"Braking without a reason" ... wish that would be actually punished. How many times have you been behind someone on a clear bright day with no other traffic around, and suddenly the brake lights come on? Are they just checking to make sure that catastrophic brake failure hasn't occurred since the last time using them??

cheers
Ed

ZR
05-28-2017, 08:29 AM
4. You can turn right on a red in QuebecContrary to popular belief, right turns on a red light in the Province of Quebec has been legal since 2003. There is one exception however: On the island of Montreal, red light rights are still a no-no.

RedSN
05-28-2017, 09:33 AM
No, I did not know #4. In my defence, I have not been to Quebec since 2003.

ZR
05-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Neither did I Don. Been to Quebec twice last winter, no wonder I heard horns the time I didn't turn cause it was red.

Ponyryd
05-28-2017, 11:18 AM
I failed my G2 driving test because I dropped in into N and coasted to lights/stops.

#6 and 8 are awesome, wishful thinking I guess

Stephen06GT
05-28-2017, 11:49 AM
Most of my neighbors are guilty of No. 8. Asshats!!!!

ZR
05-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Same nonsense here Stephen as is lack of no overnight parking especially when it's snowed.

8. No shovelling snow onto the roadsIt may be summer but the thought of countless piles of heavy, wet snow at the bottom of my driveway is still a fresh memory. Maybe that’s why I moved from Ontario to B.C. Did you know it is against the law to return the piles of snow and ice from whence they came without written permission? It’s true. No matter how much snow the plows deposit on your driveway, you’re not allowed to give it back: No person shall deposit snow or ice on a roadway without permission in writing to do so from the Ministry or the road authority responsible for the maintenance of the road.

RedSN
05-28-2017, 12:26 PM
I agree with that one. Number of people that push the snow back out onto the road around here :mad:

1quikgt
05-29-2017, 07:40 AM
Everyone on my street shovels snow onto the road after a few significant snow falls. Garages are in the back on a laneway so we have no place to put it. They bring in a tractor with a scoop plow and push all the snow out of the laneways and put it in the park. The kids in the neighbourhood love it.

Scrape
05-29-2017, 07:48 AM
Some interesting ones here indeed. Seen #8 too many times. Homeowners on the main street are the worst!

83 5.0
05-29-2017, 09:08 PM
2. No neutral when coasting down a hill

Am I the only one who didn’t know this was law? You can’t put your vehicle in neutral to save a little fuel mileage while going downhill or give the rpm’s a break while descending down a mountain highway? BC’s Motor Vehicle Act says: When travelling down grade a driver must not coast with the gears of the vehicle in neutral or the clutch disengaged.

http://wheelsca.s3.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Fotolia-78491340-Subscription-Yearly-M.jpg

Lol, my uncle in the 70's got this ticket. He was a long haul trucker and I guess the OPP saw the smoke from his stacks as he put it back in gear and started shifting.

90GT
05-30-2017, 04:12 PM
"Braking without a reason" ... wish that would be actually punished. How many times have you been behind someone on a clear bright day with no other traffic around, and suddenly the brake lights come on? Are they just checking to make sure that catastrophic brake failure hasn't occurred since the last time using them??

cheers
Ed

YEEESSSS!!!! I totally agree!!! People not paying attention, grabbing their phones or whatever! I see it all the time...as well as excessive braking... when people jam on the brakes at every little move as if its life or death.. they just dont realize how dangerous riding the brake and unpredictable braking can be...

DRIVE SMOOTH AND PREDICTABLY PEOPLE..!! ...haha

Ghost Rider
05-30-2017, 04:50 PM
Lol, my uncle in the 70's got this ticket. He was a long haul trucker and I guess the OPP saw the smoke from his stacks as he put it back in gear and started shifting.

haha, I'd like to see that one hold up in court

1quikgt
05-31-2017, 08:32 AM
On another note, now that the nice weather is here, if you find yourself in Alabama with some ice cream don't put it in your back pocket or you can get a ticket.