PDA

View Full Version : Ok riders help me out a bit...

Zexhuffer
06-05-2017, 05:12 PM
I'm in a bit of a dilemna.

Just got my m2 and really stuck on which bike should be my first...my two thoughts are

1. I get a 200-400 cc bike, practice like crazy for the first year and just enjoy riding without having to worry about super power, lower insurance etc

2. I start with a 600 go for broke and practice and learn the same way i would have but just alot more power.

If you are a rider let me know what you think and what you did. I'm leaning more on the sports bike side but lets be honest id like a sports bike and cruiser down the road.

WTF
06-05-2017, 05:44 PM
imo

lower cc bike and learn to ride

these new 600cc sport bikes are fucking rockets....and even at your size they will accelerate like stink and you can get yourself in a whole bunch of trouble in a few seconds

call around for insurance quotes....it might help make your mind up with the $port bike rates

If I was planning to get back out there (been a GM license holder for 34 years) I'd likely get my hands on some sort of single cylinder 400cc enduro or super-moto and ride that around for a year...the high suspension and travel on a dirt/enduro/super-moto bike is way more forgiving for someone who is learning...and they're easy to fix when you drop them (and you will)....it's mostly plastics you'll scratch up instead of dents and scratched up paint

I must be getting old....cause I'd just skip the sport bike and go from the enduro straight to a cruiser

be careful out there dude

Biz
06-05-2017, 05:52 PM
The new Husq 701 Supermoto is a sweet machine.

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/ca/supermoto/701-supermoto/

Zexhuffer
06-05-2017, 06:06 PM
It will also be a used bike for sure that i will be buying

WTF
06-05-2017, 06:06 PM
The new Husq 701 Supermoto is a sweet machine.

http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/ca/supermoto/701-supermoto/

700cc supermoto is not a learner....and I'd bet the price is staggering

FE450 and just swap the tires for something more street worthly
http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/ca/off-road/four-stroke/fe-450-1/

same thing with the FE350
http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/ca/off-road/four-stroke/fe-350-1/

DELZZZ
06-05-2017, 06:18 PM
I learned on an SV650s and had a blast. Later I upgraded to an SV1000s and was confident with a litre bike.

Clutt gt
06-05-2017, 06:27 PM
I always wanted a sport bike. Not now though. Buy the bike that will fit your riding style.
My dad tried and tried to get me on a full touring bike.
He bought a chopper to sit beside his touring bike in the garage. I decided that at that point I was going to get an M license. In the first summer I was envied on a ride for breakfast. Lol in Midland. Wow wrong bike.
I rode to the gym a few times a week. Wrong bike. Back packs suck.
I ride with my wife and my daughter as passengers. I want them to enjoy the experience as much as me.
I borrowed an R6 from one of my guys at work a few weeks back. It handled great, fast as I could ever want. But not comfortable at all.
If you want to play on short rides low speed / hoonigan buy 400 to 750 super moto
If you want to carve the corners and wind out screaming engine go 600 super sport
If you are more the ride out get a burger. go muscle/ cruiser 1000 to 1800 cc
If you are the take off for the day/ or two pound 500+KMS go full touring
I love my 06 HD road glide I've have comfort, cruise control, and 400watts rms of my favorite tunes.
It's my first bike and I pay out the ass for insurance but it's worth every penny.
It's slow but you can still get in trouble.
Here is the chopper I started on with the touring bike that converted me.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/522FAA7A-5CDE-490E-9DEE-F589DCE358BF.jpg
Here is the bike I ended up on for my first bike.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/C95B1D7E-7AA5-4428-816E-F6EF402EA4DE.jpg
Here is the bike I borrowed for less than one hour.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/FBECBF3D-24D4-4427-9426-3DC26097FB8A.jpg

ZR
06-05-2017, 06:28 PM
Can not word strongly enough that you should not buy a later model 600 sport bike.

5.4MarkVIII
06-05-2017, 06:33 PM
I started on an 84 nighthawk 500
Best way imo. Something old and cheap.
Less chance of getting in trouble till you learn what you are doing.

Clutt gt
06-05-2017, 06:37 PM
What reason Rick?
I found the only thing the 2000 R6 did well was go fast. Everything else was painful.
I just don't get it. I don't want to get in the trouble that I would def get into.

I find even on my big slow couch I still have to watch myself.

ZR
06-05-2017, 06:45 PM
You read it wrong, said not to buy one. Way more scooter vs what any new rider needs to swing their leg over.

Clutt gt
06-05-2017, 06:46 PM
If I had started on a different bike I feel I would have missed out.
The best part for me is to hit a back road at 90 to 100 km/hr with my feet up and the tunes cranked up for 2 to 8 hours.
It's a great way to unwind with no cell phone.
Also I use the bike to go to the gym. Back pack is in the tour pack not on my back.
I've gone shopping, i have lockable storage for my jacket, he'll met and gloves. Even room for a change of foot wear.
Room for rain coat because it happens.
All of these things make a touring bike the choice for me. If you don't have comfort, storage, you may find you won't ride to places that you would have if you did. There for missing out.
If you do buy a sport bike then please take it to the track so you at least get to ride it the way it was intended.

Clutt gt
06-05-2017, 06:49 PM
You read it wrong, said not to buy one. Way more scooter vs what any new rider needs to swing their leg over.

Oh I agree and yes I read right. I was wondering what your reasoning was.
I agree with you but slightly different reasons. Though yours are spot on as well.

Intmdtr
06-05-2017, 06:56 PM
I say go right for a Vrod and put me in the will for the cobra?

My first bike at 17 was a maniac...1989 gixxer 1100

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwj6vaqv5qfUAhVFuBQKHQ-gAd0QjRwIBw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.suzukicycles.org%2FGSX-R-series%2FGSX-R1100.shtml&psig=AFQjCNEpeWYF9Y2A6EMG06i0i9CQhICO5w&ust=1496789719216220

way too much bike for a kid at 17 but the price was right. Got it for $1000 off my uncle. thought my dad was going to kill him.

WTF
06-05-2017, 07:03 PM
imo....if you're learning to ride

1) upright stance
2) your balls are nudging the tank if not on top of it
3) high/long suspension travel

I learned on the dirt......a place where controlling the bike was a full time job

riding an enduro on the street is far from glamorous....but you'll respect the machine

Clutt gt
06-05-2017, 07:08 PM
I test rode a vrod. Lol
Less than five km down the road from the dealer I was 3x the speed limit.
Took it back and said nope can't have one.
Same with the R6. I can't be trusted. It's to fun to easy.
And quite frankly they just aren't comfortable enough.
I love to ride. On the R6 I wanted so bad to keep riding but it wasn't fun unless I was "playing".
The chopper was perfect to ride to a cruise in and sip coffee.
On a nice Sunday I will leave Bowmanville at 9:00am ride to calaboggie for lunch at 1:00 then back home for 6:00pm.
Comfortable the whole way. Absolutely love it.

95GT_VERT
06-05-2017, 07:08 PM
No issue learning on a 600 sportbike . My first was a 2003 CBR 600 RR , then had a 2008 R6 and now a 2009 R1 .

The 600 is only retarded If you tell it to be

RedSN
06-05-2017, 07:20 PM
^^^have you met Zexhuffer?

55 HD
06-05-2017, 07:25 PM
From a guy who has been riding for over 35 years and still on a bike.
Started with the 250 enduro,750 V Max, 1400 full out touring,1300 Midnight Touring, and now back to another full out Harley Touring. Ya, rode that Chopper thing a couple times lol

I say graduate to horse power as you develop your riding skills. And yes it will depend on where you ride, that, will also help you decide what type of bike you will enjoy the best. Look to see who you might ride with and try to keep the same style of bike as the group rides. And most of all, never push the bike to keep up with others in the group if you don't have the right bike or experience. THIS IS WHERE MOST RIDERS RUN INTO PROBLEMS. In other words keep your group rides to no more than 4 bikes and don't be afraid to let them know you are a new rider. Ask to be in the middle of the group when out on the road.

Man just be safe out there. And remember a full out touring bike can't keep up with sport bikes.

Clutt gt
06-05-2017, 07:43 PM
Very good point there dad.
Who and what will you be riding with?
I tried to go for a ride.
My buddie was riding an Aprilia 750 super moto
I was on dads chopper
It didn't work
Same deal if I was to ride with my carpenter on his R6
And me on my HD touring bike
I can't ride fast he can't ride far. No one is happy.

I ride with dad and his friends. It's a parade but it's still fun
I ride with a younger more aggressive bunch. Fast for touring bike but still much slower than any sport bike group. Still fun

So yes the most important things to look at.
Who will I ride with?
What do they ride?
How will I ride?
But most important ride within your ability and keep your head up and eyes open.

98 Snake
06-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Here is the bike I borrowed for less than one hour.
http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll240/clutt225/FBECBF3D-24D4-4427-9426-3DC26097FB8A.jpg[/QUOTE]

That's my old R6 FWIW

My first bike was a 95 YZF600R that was the supersport 600 of its day but is more of a sport touring to the newer bikes. I rode it for 2 years then bought the R6 and had that for around 10 years.

Nothing wrong with starting out with a 600 as long as your smart with the throttle and ride within your limits. I wouldn't start with something smaller as you will most likely out grow it quickly.

Clutt gt
06-06-2017, 06:53 AM
I thought Mike mentioned the guy he bought it from was a member here.
Great bike
Looks great, and it's fast. But just can't do much or go far with it. IMO
I'm glad that I got the chance to take it out because it cured the itch to have a sport bike.

Biz
06-06-2017, 08:04 AM
700cc supermoto is not a learner....and I'd bet the price is staggering

FE450 and just swap the tires for something more street worthly
http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/ca/off-road/four-stroke/fe-450-1/

same thing with the FE350
http://www.husqvarna-motorcycles.com/ca/off-road/four-stroke/fe-350-1/

You can easily learn on the 701. Just need to be disciplined with the throttle.
What works for one may not work for another. I'm hoping to pick up a lightly used one next spring.
Local dealer has then 17's listed at $12,900.
A supermoto gives you more options for riding.

I personally don't want to go from bike to bike.
My first car at 17 was 5.0L mustang. Everyone said I was going to kill myself and lose my license but I'm still here :D

mavrrrick
06-06-2017, 08:09 AM
My first was an 83 650 Nighthawk, red. Loved it

mavrrrick
06-06-2017, 08:10 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170606/6c3ae5ba7e37ebc7f844f838612fd596.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WTF
06-06-2017, 08:55 AM
What works for one may not work for another. I'm hoping to pick up a lightly used one next spring.

My first car at 17 was 5.0L mustang. Everyone said I was going to kill myself and lose my license but I'm still here :D

I rode dirt for 5 years in the late 70s early 80s....my first street bike was a Yamaha 750 Seca that I could wheelie down the street because of the experience on all the motocross stuff

and I still ended up walking away from a bad crash (walked away 3 months later after breaking both legs and shattering my hand) simply because 70 year old ladies don't seem to see motorcycles

it was dangerous riding a street bike in the 80s in the GTA.....now it's a complete crap shoot with all the fucktard drivers

you wanna go big displacement for a first bike with no experience...go ahead....I have experience and GM license and I wouldn't do it

learning on a powerful car isn't as risky as a bike....since your legs aren't hanging over the side...and you really gotta fuck up to tip over a car

mavrrrick
06-06-2017, 09:25 AM
I rode dirt for 5 years in the late 70s early 80s....my first street bike was a Yamaha 750 Seca that I could wheelie down the street because of the experience on all the motocross stuff

and I still ended up walking away from a bad crash (walked away 3 months later after breaking both legs and shattering my hand) simply because 70 year old ladies don't seem to see motorcycles

it was dangerous riding a street bike in the 80s in the GTA.....now it's a complete crap shoot with all the fucktard drivers

you wanna go big displacement for a first bike with no experience...go ahead....I have experience and GM license and I wouldn't do it

learning on a powerful car isn't as risky as a bike....since your legs aren't hanging over the side...and you really gotta fuck up to tip over a car

Yup....70 year olds in 76 Olds Omega rear ended me in 86. Spinal fusion and 2 screws. Fun!!!

WTF
06-06-2017, 09:30 AM
Yup....70 year olds in 76 Olds Omega rear ended me in 86. Spinal fusion and 2 screws. Fun!!!

yup....my 70 year old witch turned right in front of me like I wasn't there....in a 76 Firebird....broke everything pinging off the front of her car....but luckily didn't hit anything else on my 110 foot flight along Finch Ave

RAT ATK
06-06-2017, 09:49 AM
I will put in a vote for the SV650. Lots of people started on the Kawasaki EX500 as well. Should both be pretty reasonable to buy as well.

mavrrrick
06-06-2017, 09:51 AM
yup....my 70 year old witch turned right in front of me like I wasn't there....in a 76 Firebird....broke everything pinging off the front of her car....but luckily didn't hit anything else on my 110 foot flight along Finch Ave

FUCKING OWWW

Quicksilver
06-06-2017, 10:12 AM
My first bike was a 50CC put put when I was 16. Sold it a year later to get a car (62 VW). When I was 23, I bought a Honda 175CC Scrambler. Pulled out in front of a car and got hit. My dad fixed the bike but I sold it a while later.
fast forward to age 46. I bought a brand new BMW 1000CC R100R with an opposed twin. Couple years later, a used Honda 900 4 cylinder. That was a fast bike. first time I opened it up I threw my head back and laughed like a banshee. by age 48 I graduated to a brand new 1998 Honda Gold Wing. First time I rode it it scared me silly with it's size. Within a few months I'd mastered it to the point where I could "scape the pegs". I loved that bike, and used it extensively for touring. (one trip was 1500 km each way). By 2003, though, I had my first Mustang Cobra, and I completely lost interest in biking. Sold the Wing and don't miss it. For me, too many close calls out on the road. you are literally invisible to other drivers.
Warren, If I was you, I'd start out with a smallish dual purpose bike, get some experience and then move up. I sure as hell wouldn't get a 600CC street bike, or bigger, for my first bike. One twist of the throttle and you could easily lose control. Work up to it.
I gotta say, though. Even the Cobra can't compare to the rush when you have a 10 second street bike, and you open it up on the 407!!

Armen
06-06-2017, 01:23 PM
You want to learn to ride on on a 600cc sport bike? Holy fuck you are out to lunch dude... You need to get your head checked.

:D

CDNfyrfytr
06-06-2017, 03:22 PM
You want to learn to ride on on a 600cc sport bike? Holy fuck you are out to lunch dude... You need to get your head checked.

:D

My first bike was a GSXR750....used to be as long as you used your head you were fine. Use your head, not your wrist to learn. Also at least take some sort of riding school to learn what the bike(and rider) can do safely. Last bike I had was a VTR 1000. I don't think I could ride on the road again...way to many distracted fuck tards for my liking. If I were to start over, like RAT ATK says, an SV 650 is a good choice.

That said, a triumph dual spot could possibly be in my future [emoji6]

Zexhuffer
06-06-2017, 09:35 PM
Spent last weekend with learningcurves.ca on two day course...well worth the cost and was a great course. I've been on bikes before just never was licensed to drive them. Ooooops
Finally got scared enough to stop doing after a fall, two decades later and Im ready to drive nice with insurance!

94stang87
06-06-2017, 09:43 PM

Check out the KTM 690 too pretty much the same bike

94stang87
06-06-2017, 09:48 PM
I started out on a katana 600 the day I turned 16 then went to an R6 then R1 within two years , I would recommend buying the bike you want now and just take baby steps riding it

Biz
06-07-2017, 09:20 AM

I also rode dirt.
Started on a CR80 and worked my way thru a 125 to a 250.
Then onto Quads with a TRX 450 sport.
If your disciplined with the throttle you will do ok.
Like I said everyone has different abilities.
What works for one may not work for another.
The CC of the bike isn't going to stop some douche-canoe from hitting you.
The reason I waited so long to get my M2 is because 20 years ago I wasn't mature enough to handle a crotch rocket.
I would of killed myself or someone else.

It also helps to enroll into an accredited Motorcycle learning course like I have.
https://www.fanshawec.ca/cts/transportation/driv-9025-motorcycle-m2-training-test

WTF
06-07-2017, 10:16 AM
If your disciplined with the throttle you will do ok.

we'll agree to disagree

in the GTA....doing "OK" ain't good enough imo

I'm sure there's a bit more breathing room on the roads in South West Ont....but the GTA is a cesspool of shitty distracted morons behind the wheel from about 8am - midnight on most days

a buddy of mine from Cambridge got back on a Yamaha 650 about a decade ago after about a 20 year break on street bikes...he grew up in the GTA

he rode in to my place one Saturday afternoon....and it scared the hell outta him and he never did it again

hell...I bought a freakin Honda Ruckus scooter a few years back...simply to backroad it from my place to my Mom's when I go over to take the Morgan for a ripp.....felt like a fucking sitting duck on the thing and sold it...wheels were way too small which made potholes a severe hazzard....and the thing needed at least another 125cc to have enough power to get the fuck outta the way when needed

imo...that's the main reason too much bike is not a good idea...you need to use the power to get the hell outta trouble on occasion....and if you're inexperienced and grannying the thing around....you've just lost a major safety feature

Biz
06-07-2017, 10:33 AM
we'll agree to disagree

in the GTA....doing "OK" ain't good enough imo

I'm sure there's a bit more breathing room on the roads in South West Ont....but the GTA is a cesspool of shitty distracted morons behind the wheel from about 8am - midnight on most days

a buddy of mine from Cambridge got back on a Yamaha 650 about a decade ago after about a 20 year break on street bikes...he grew up in the GTA

he rode in to my place one Saturday afternoon....and it scared the hell outta him and he never did it again

hell...I bought a freakin Honda Ruckus scooter a few years back...simply to backroad it from my place to my Mom's when I go over to take the Morgan for a ripp.....felt like a fucking sitting duck on the thing and sold it...wheels were way too small which made potholes a severe hazzard....and the thing needed at least another 125cc to have enough power to get the fuck outta the way when needed

imo...that's the main reason too much bike is not a good idea...you need to use the power to get the hell outta trouble on occasion....and if you're inexperienced and grannying the thing around....you've just lost a major safety feature

Yeah I'm not riding in the GTA. Y'all are crazy http://www.pic4ever.com/images/wind14.gif

Clutt gt
06-07-2017, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't ride in Toronto either.
I had the Cobra in Richmond hill for the Big Boy event and that was scary enough.
Can't imagine you feel all that safe in the Morgan Tim.

WTF
06-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Can't imagine you feel all that safe in the Morgan Tim.

nope...not the safest feeling at all....I like that fact that the car is loud as fuck so they hear you and start looking for you....much like a rider with loud pipes

I'm super defensive driving it....and much like a bike...my mindset at all times is that they can't see me and I drive accordingly

Quicksilver
06-07-2017, 05:03 PM
In some ways, Warren, I didn't want to say anything really negative. But since other people opened the floodates....
I do a thousand or more kilometres a week all season, and I see a lot of idiot drivers. A LOT! There are so many people who should NOT have a licence, period. "situational awareness" is non existant. Today I was in the middle lane of the 407 at about 125 km/hr, and someone pulled directly in front of me from the right, for absolutely no apparent reason and with no warning, and was doing, at best 80k. I have adaptive cruise control and the "collision warning" lights went off like a christmas tree and the car slammed it's brakes on. God only knows what would have happened if I'd been on a bike.
riding a motorcycle in and of itself is a tremedous amount of fun. Wind in the face, no restrictions, plenty of power. But, there are too many other factors to lessen the experience, such as traffic. I gave it up becuase I got tired of riding when it was too hot, or too cold, or raining, but mostly becuase it's f*cking scary out there. I've been driving all around this city every day for 38 years for my business, sometimes doing 1200 or more k's a week. The competence and level of attention-paying by a majority of drivers has deteriorated hugely in that time, and I personally would never want to ride in traffic again.
However, it's your choice, your body, and your life. If you choose to ride, just make sure you get a good helmet, gloves, boots and a balistic jacket with hard shoulder and elbow guards, and a back plate. Don't EVER wear floppies, shorts, or a t-shirt, no matter the weather. I saw a guy on a sport bike last year on the 407 at well over the speed limit in bare feet and bare chested, with only a pair of shorts on and a cheapie helmet. His girlfriend on the back was wearing... a bikini. One bad move and they're done!

Clutt gt
06-07-2017, 09:50 PM
Well I'm a fairly new rider but I am a current rider. Yes keep your head up and try to predict what can happen.
Plan an escape route for situations before they happen because they might happen.
But holly guys it's not that bad. People make it sound like you stand little to no chance of survival once you swing your leg over the bike.
My dad has well over 30 years riding has had 8 different bikes, rode with all 5 kids and one of 2 wives as passengers.
He has been to Tenessee and rode the tail of the dragon twice, he has rode all the way to Florida and back, he has been to Nova Scotia and separately to Newfoundland. He's logged thousands of miles.
He put me on my first bike at 6 years old. Then 30 years latter he introduced me to the street riding his chopper.
I would like to think he has not been trying to kill us all.
I'm not sure how many rider friends we have between the two of us but there are dozens and most of the bike stories I hear about on a ride or about a ride are positive ones that don't involve near death experiences.
Ride safe, ride smart and for gods sake don't ride in Toronto. There is nothing worth seeing there anyhow.
Get on a bike any bike and get out there, it's great.

Clutt gt
06-12-2017, 08:11 PM
Well tonight I had the pleasure of a test ride on a 2016 Honda CBR 300R.
Here is my honest opinion of the bike.
Looks kinda cool, kinda sporty, but you can tell its not it's bigger brother.
Performance was nonexistent, and trust me I ride a Harley, my expectations are not that high when it comes to performance. This thing was slow realy realy slow.
If you like performance at all then do not start on this bike. Just go straight to a 600 and be smart and grow into it.
On this 300 you will be bored and wanting more within a month.

Now not all bad
If you plan to use this bike like a city dwelling Vespa only slightly cooler in the looks department.
It might just work for that. It's very light, very easy to ride, turns great, not horribly uncomfortable.

So this is just my take on the 2016 CBR 300R
Sport bike skin on a scooter.

Clutt gt
06-13-2017, 09:29 PM
This is the type of bike I would suggest as a starter based on the info you have give us.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/barrie/preowned-2007-yamaha-fz6-in-excellent-shape-reduced-price/1235694324

CDNfyrfytr
06-13-2017, 09:33 PM
I bet that would be a fun bike^^^^

Intmdtr
06-14-2017, 08:09 AM
This is the type of bike I would suggest as a starter based on the info you have give us.
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/barrie/preowned-2007-yamaha-fz6-in-excellent-shape-reduced-price/1235694324

And Warren should know exactly where that is. Seen the bike on my way to work this morn. at the Yamaha dealer.