PDA

View Full Version : We all need to start looking after ourselves better.

ZR
06-08-2017, 07:38 AM
More young Canadians are having strokes, according to a new Heart & Stroke report that’s warning that stroke rates in younger adults are rising faster than seniors.
Stroke rates have crept up 11 per cent in Canadians between 20 and 59 from 2006 to 2015. The increase is tied to a rise in risk factors for stroke: access to more processed foods, a fast-paced, stressful life, sedentary lifestyle and higher rates of diabetes and obesity in young adults.
The trouble is, Canadians don’t think of stroke when it comes to young adults

Scrape
06-08-2017, 08:12 AM
Agreed. We all need to do more vigorous exercise.

RedSN
06-08-2017, 10:09 AM
It can't be stressed enough: have your blood pressure checked regularly. It's the leading risk factor for stroke. All those factors listed above affect mainly one thing: your blood pressure.

I started going for yearly physicals after my best friend died from a heart attack at the age of 35.
My blood pressure was normal, but borderline high. A simple change in diet to reduce salt brought it down to a safer range.

StAnger
06-08-2017, 11:21 AM
You mean those blood pressure machines aren't to see who has the highest score?

mavrrrick
06-08-2017, 11:28 AM
Also parents (yes, I am one) have to stop driving their kids every where. People drive their kids to school and they are 2 blocks away. Partially parents fault. Breeds lasyness. I know cause I work on school board.(no, not teacher). Let kids walk or bike to where they need to go. We survived!!!

The Newmare
06-08-2017, 11:42 AM
a buddy of mine had a night stroke(while sleeping) and the Doc took his license for like 6 months and he is trying to get it back.

Harbinger
06-08-2017, 04:47 PM
Lack of exercise, lack of sleep, stress and diet will do that to anyone

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

5.4MarkVIII
06-08-2017, 06:23 PM
I turned 35 this year some times I just can't believe this is what life is like. I was hard on my body for a lot of years ignoring the old guys who were telling me to wear knee pads ect.

I have arthritis in my back as well as both knees and one hip. I have put my back out many times.
I have a bad neck from an old car accident requires. Assage therapy once every three weeks to keep the headaches to a dull roar.
I have stomach issues that drs can't figure out so I gave up going, final verdict was a combination of stress. IBS, amd too many years taking pain killers to help the headaches so most days I feel sick to my stocmach. Some time eating puts me needing to be near a bathroom for the next two hours. Nothing the drs tried made any improvement.

I try exersice but honestly some days it's all I can do to get out of bed in the morning for work. (I do it for my kids that's what keeps me going) that by the time I'm done work I just want to sit and or sleep. I can't drag my ass out to get on the bike and have sore knees for the next three days.

I eat oak. Tyipical meat and potatoes guy. I'm not hugely over weight. (220lbs at 6'2")

I tried to get a gym thing going but there is only one in our area and she just kept putting me off. (Was hoping for some one on one training to force me to push threw.

I get even more down when I see people twice my age or twice my weight out and enjoying food and activities that I just can't bring myself to suffer threw

And ppl wonder why I'm a cranky sob. Lol

True Blue
06-08-2017, 07:03 PM
I have stomach issues that drs can't figure out so I gave up going, final verdict was a combination of stress. IBS, amd too many years taking pain killers to help the headaches so most days I feel sick to my stocmach. Some time eating puts me needing to be near a bathroom for the next two hours. Nothing the drs tried made any improvement.

I get even more down when I see people twice my age or twice my weight out and enjoying food and activities that I just can't bring myself to suffer threw

And ppl wonder why I'm a cranky sob. Lol

I'm in the same boat as you man, in a way I'm glad I'm not alone. Stress is the number one contributor to IBS. I've been battling IBS for over 17yrs, went through a bad episode the last 5 month and now I'm finally getting back to my "so called" normal lifestyle. I feel your pain, especially when you see others twice your age enjoying themselves and going places. And you're limited to what you can do and where you can go.

I've been doing a lot of research on IBS, on what foods to eat and what to stay away from. Also on what natural vitamins and other remedies you can try. Because the doctors were no help with it as they don't know much about IBS. PM me if you want to talk!

5.4MarkVIII
06-08-2017, 09:18 PM
Yeah I've done the food elimination thing. Stick with lot of chicken and carbs cuz that seems to work the best
Sometimes just deal with conciquences to enjoy a beer with friends or a dinner out.
I also have an issue with milk products and a weird fruit allergy turns me into a pretty picky eater
My family and friends are pretty understanding about it all and don't complain too much when plans change last minuet.
It's a hard thing for other people to undersatand having to decide what to eat and where. Trying to pre plan a meal as to how close a bathroom will be incase you need it afterwards. For me sometimes not eating is just as bad as the eating the wrong thing.
Or even going threw most days feeling like you need to puke. Sometimes I don't even know I have the stomach flu till it's too late cuz I tend to feel sick most days.

I try not to complain cuz lord knows there are people out there worse off.

Wonder if eating different when I was younger would have changed anything. Up until about ten or 12 years ago I could eat and do anything.

True Blue
06-09-2017, 12:33 AM
My biggest trigger is fatty foods and olive oil... Being Italian, oil is in practically all the foods we eat. So I watch what I eat and how it's cooked and because of this I rarely go out for dinner. Just to avoid the pain and suffering that may occur after the meal. If I'm staying home say a Saturday night I'll indulge in the some of the foods I love but that's once in awhile. But I know I'll pay the price for it after. I stop drinking espresso and coffee, my alcohol consumption (I love wine) is next to zero. Like you, I also have an issue with milk products, being lactose intolerant.

Having a different diet when you were younger wouldn't have changed a thing. IBS can hit males at anytime usually between the ages of 19-50 years old. 20% of men suffer from some form of IBS. Being that the stomach is like a second brain, anything can affect the bowels. That's why doctors can't make heads or tails of the cause and no magic pill can fix it either if the unknown is causing the issue.

Are you taking any or tried taking a pre and/or probiotic? Fish Oil? Peppermint Oil? Ginger? Fennel?

Harbinger
06-09-2017, 01:26 AM
Proper sleep sets your gut right. Lack of sleep screws with your digestive system causing all sorts of issues like for one, constipation

95GT_VERT
06-09-2017, 02:04 AM
Anyone that deals with IBS ..... one word , Metamucil it will change your life

OneQwkStang
06-09-2017, 06:54 AM
I fart a lot, anyone else fart every few minutes?

mavrrrick
06-09-2017, 06:57 AM
I think stress triggers all illnesses, especially cancers.

Harbinger
06-09-2017, 09:37 AM
is this the grumpy old man thread.

lets compare scars....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc
Harden that loose stool the fuck up

StAnger
06-09-2017, 02:07 PM
I fart a lot, anyone else fart every few minutes?

Yep... To be honest, they don't smell very good either.

OneQwkStang
06-09-2017, 09:20 PM
I think stress triggers all illnesses, especially cancers.

100% agree with you

- - - Updated - - -

Yep... To be honest, they don't smell very good either.

Depends what I eat whether or not they stink.